Author Topic: Maha Chanok Sounds Like a Pretty Good (Decent/Worthy) Mango After All  (Read 10330 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Chris and Har, who've probably eaten more mangos than anyone besides the Zills, seem to really like Maha Chanok.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Y5ZaCjzxg
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:42:44 AM by johnb51 »
John

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: Maha Chanok Sounds Like a Top Mango After All
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:17:07 AM »
Nam doc mai is better mango..

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 12:34:38 AM »
People need to actually eat the fruit for themselves, not vicariously  through videos.  No offense to the usual suspects however I would not think any of those were outstanding fruit based on their comments (the usual caveat if picked by who I am guessing picked them, they were picked underripe). 

Their description of Mahachanok was not very enticing but then again, I dont think its anything to write home about anyway.

The Shwahintha sounds like it was nit fully ripe.

Peach Cobbler does not have a peach component so when I hear comments about "looking for it" while tasting is very disconcerting.

I didnt bother watching them taste M4 when I heard the statement thst one of them has never tasted coconut in a mango...
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 08:39:41 AM »
Most of us don't get the opportunity to try a wide variety so this type of video does serve a purpose and I appreciate them (including the ones from Craig and family at Sulcata).  Besides they're a lot of fun--very entertaining and amusing.  No one's perfect.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:41:33 AM by johnb51 »
John

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 09:48:58 AM »
I try all Thai mango's i can find, Yu-wen, Red Ivory,  are new and better then mahachanok, also nam doc mai is better. No i don't sell mangotree's.

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »
What entertained me was the dog eating the peel, I wish my dog would show any interest in fruit or vege. I wish they would do the close up of the fruit they cut up so viewer can tell how ripe they are and how big/thin is the seed.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »
Guess I will agree to disagree.  Dir those in the US, many have the opportunity to  taste, just takes the want, effort and cost.

As for the vidoes, since taste is subjective and most people's taatebuds seem to interpret differently, it doesnt tell anyone how they will taste for each viewer or if they will like it.

As for Sulcata's videos, those are a downright joke...but then again the world lives off of youtube and FB and is hypnotized by the internet and believes all they see and hear.

EDITED:  had to edit due to major typo, it said taste is "objective" and should have said "subjective"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:06:51 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »
Different strokes for different folks.

I have both NDM and Maha. I prefer the Maha as it has a "lemony" component to it
whereas the NDM is just sweet. The best mango is the one that a person thinks is
the best.
Michael

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 10:35:10 AM »
Guess I will agree to disagree.  Dir those in the US, many have the opportunity to  taste, just takes the want, effort and cost.

As for tge vidoes, since taste is objective and most people's taatebuds seem to interpret differently, it doesnt tell anyone how they will taste for each viewer or if they will like it.

As for Sulcata's videos, those are a downright joke...but then again the world lives off of youtube and FB and is hypnotized by the internet and believes all they see and hear.

Rob...sounds like we need a bsbullie YouTube channel for mango reviews ....with ripe fruit and a "down to earth" assessment.

Back to the subject...none of my SoCal friends have placed Mahachanok in the top 10 tier.
However, I must say the fruit looks beautiful, flavor is more complex than most Asian mangos, and production is good for a relatively small tree.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:37:10 AM by wslau »
Warren

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »
Noooooo...no tasting videos.  I will host and/or attend a tasting but not be the part of a host tasting video.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 12:01:23 PM »
Yes, Maha Chanok is a very good tasting mango, one of my favorites in most years. The tree also has desirable characteristics: it's relatively small and disease resistant.

That particular maha appears to have been picked TOO LATE (ie, allowed to ripen on the tree). The reason I say that is because I can note some jelly seed. If you look closely, you'll note the darker flesh right next to the seed. This year, I had to pick mine mature green to avoid the jelly seed. For some reason, this year was worse than others for internal breakdown issues on a number of mangoes.

Also, that Maha Chanok is overripe for my own taste preference. The fruit is completely yellow, and there are a couple of post harvest anthracnose spots forming. I would have eaten it 2 - 3 days earlier. At that fully ripe stage, the fruit is mostly just sweet. Eaten a little less underripe, the maha has 2 characteristics that I enjoy: some tart and the south east asian spice (I call it coca cola flavor).
Jeff  :-)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 12:46:56 PM »
Noooooo...no tasting videos.  I will host and/or attend a tasting but not be the part of a host tasting video.

Oh, you're just camera-shy!  But when you host a tasting, let me know.
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
I've eaten a lot of mahas and like them a lot. Haven't tried all mango varieties, so can see how it is not top tier to others. For me it is in top 10 - 15.  Not in same category as coconut cream, os, or lemon zest. Wish I had some mahas now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 10:57:07 PM by roblack »

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 05:09:06 PM »

Not really top tier, except for how clean it looks and its aroma. Much better than NDM, in my opinion.   

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »

As for tge vidoes, since taste is objective and most people's taatebuds seem to interpret differently, it doesnt tell anyone how they will taste for each viewer or if they will like it.

Rob...sounds like we need a bsbullie YouTube channel for mango reviews ....with ripe fruit and a "down to earth" assessment.

That would be darn awesome!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »

That would be darn awesome!

That might not be easy, you'd have to expand Bsb's vocabulary to include praise words.
His hard ball reputation on the forum will be completely shot.  :)
But really, on a more serious note, I might subscribe to such as video if it were a taste off staring several experts from the forum.

johnb51

• View Profile
Re: Maha Chanok Sounds Like a Pretty Good (Decent/Worthy) Mango After All
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
So I changed the topic title.  My tree should have fruit next summer.  I'll return to this topic to comment on it, and anyone else with Maha Chanok experience can do the same.  The growth habit of my tree is close to optimal, Pickering being the gold standard.  (Honey Kiss is another compact beauty.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 10:18:36 AM by johnb51 »
John

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
So I changed the topic title.  My tree should have fruit next summer.  I'll return to this topic to comment on it, and anyone else with Maha Chanok experience can do the same.  The growth habit of my tree is close to optimal, Pickering being the gold standard.  (Honey Kiss is another compact beauty.)

I have all three, and fruiting. The most compact is Pickering, followed by Honey Kiss and the Maha Chanok. In terms of taste, it is Honey Kiss, Maha Chanok and Pickering, in that order, at least for me. Maha has the most shelf life, but is bitter near the skin. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »
Angie is another tree in that compact family of trees, on par with pickering. Only drawback is that it gets thracnose / scab really bad. Doesn't affect fruit quality much, but the tree can be really awgly. Angie is no longer in fashion, with all the new styles that have come out recently, but my wife and I still consider it a top tier mango.

In a no / low nitrogen scenario, PPK has been small for me. Mine (in ground for 4 years) is nary 6 - 7 feet tall.

I have all three, and fruiting. The most compact is Pickering, followed by Honey Kiss and the Maha Chanok. In terms of taste, it is Honey Kiss, Maha Chanok and Pickering, in that order, at least for me. Maha has the most shelf life, but is bitter near the skin.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 02:46:32 PM »

Angie is another tree in that compact family of trees, on par with pickering. Only drawback is that it gets thracnose / scab really bad. Doesn't affect fruit quality much, but the tree can be really awgly. Angie is no longer in fashion, with all the new styles that have come out recently, but my wife and I still consider it a top tier mango.

In a no / low nitrogen scenario, PPK has been small for me. Mine (in ground for 4 years) is nary 6 - 7 feet tall.

This was the first time that my Angie had fruits on it; I really liked it, perhaps even more than Maha Chanok. Another variety that really stays small (perhaps the most compact of all) and tastes awesome is Dwarf Hawaiian. Small fruit but loaded with flavor.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »
In the video Har commented about the bitterness of Maha skin.  My Angie is much larger than my Pickering.  I have to top it every year.  With Pickering I only cut the lowest branches because I don't want the fruit to touch the ground.
John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 05:38:14 PM »
Right. Dwarf Hawaiian is extremely petite. Awesome little tree.

This was the first time that my Angie had fruits on it; I really liked it, perhaps even more than Maha Chanok. Another variety that really stays small (perhaps the most compact of all) and tastes awesome is Dwarf Hawaiian. Small fruit but loaded with flavor.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 05:38:57 PM »
Your angie must be receiving nitrogen.

In the video Har commented about the bitterness of Maha skin.  My Angie is much larger than my Pickering.  I have to top it every year.  With Pickering I only cut the lowest branches because I don't want the fruit to touch the ground.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »

Yeah I guess I should stop the nitrogen.  But Pickering's been getting nitrogen, too.  How do you rate the flavor of Dwarf Hawaiian, Jeff?
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2018, 07:31:14 PM »

Yeah I guess I should stop the nitrogen.  But Pickering's been getting nitrogen, too.  How do you rate the flavor of Dwarf Hawaiian, Jeff?

Has Julie like characteristics.   I am not a fan at all but those that like that Julie spice do seem like it.   I have seen occasional issues with uneven ripening and anthracnose.
- Rob