Author Topic: Comice Pear  (Read 1805 times)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Comice Pear
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:24:52 PM »
Hi, I have a Comice pear in my back yard. The tree is about 6 years old and even though it blooms profusely it doesn't fruit. I just found out that it needs a pollinator, so I was thinking on getting scion wood to graft into it to hopefully get it to bloom. My question is. Does any one have any recommendations of what particular scion wood to get and where can I buy it? Thanks in advance!

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
Re: Comice Pear
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »
Several pollinating varieties are possible:

Bosc, Conférence, Louise Bonne, Nouveau Poiteau, Williams, Docteur J. Guyot

If you want, I've got some scionwood available, but you can probably find some near you.

Fleep

• United States, Texas, Dallas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
Sometimes it takes a little longer before you successfully have fruit. It took about 10 years before my pear tree produced abundantly. Also if your neighbors have callery pear trees which are planted as a shade tree and for their flowers, then those would be your closest pollinators. The idea of adding scions to your tree can prove helpful as well. That way you don’t have to have another pear tree. Just one pear tree with 2 or more different pears.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the information Shiro and Fleep.
I was able to get some scion wood in a local scion wood exchange and 3 of them took, So now I am hopeful that next year the production will be better. If not, I am hopeful that as the tree matures it will be more productive. :)

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 04:06:15 PM »
As I reread your message I ask myself the following question.

What was it grafted onto?
Pyrus, Quince or other rootstock.