Author Topic: Fertilizer Schedule for HLB Infected Citrus?  (Read 783 times)

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Fertilizer Schedule for HLB Infected Citrus?
« on: February 22, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »
My Pumelo tree is infected with HLB. I have heard that it's still possible to have a healthy tree and get good fruit if the tree is fertilized regularly, though I haven't found a place that lists specifically how much that should be.

I know I should fertilize less than what the citrus fertilizer I have calls for—just do it more frequently, but I'm not sure how much less or how more frequently, or if I should still fertilize when it's producing fruit (normally you wouldn't, but if the tree needs constant fertilization to stay healthy...).

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on using a root growth simulator to help the tree? I know HLB attacks the vascular system above the roots and makes it harder to get nutrients to and from the roots, so I thought encouraging root growth would help, like more root volume equals higher pressure to break through the strangling. Has anyone had any success from doing this, or is it waste of money or harmful to the tree?

I welcome everyone's input, I'd love to hear your success stories with HLB/Greening infected trees.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fertilizer Schedule for HLB Infected Citrus?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 06:22:41 PM »
I talked to an old timer that is currently managing a couple groves.
He said they are fertilizing 4X what they use to. One big difference is
they fertilize year round and they use to stop for 3 months in the Winter.
The main difference is that the yield from the citrus trees is anywhere from
25% to 40% of what it use to be with 4X as much fertilizer. For a hobbyist
you should still expect to get 100 fruit per year but not 350. I have a seedless
kishu that produced 300+ tangerines the past several years. I eat 5-10 almost
every day for breakfast and give away hundreds and still had some going bad.
The drawback from this tree is the fruit ripens in September before we have any
cool weather and the tangerines get their sweetness from cold. They are tangy
decent tangerines but they also call them Cuties in CA and they are much sweeter
when grown in the Napa Valley.
I also have a couple more citrus including a Temple, Ortanique, and Owari satsuma
but they are just starting to fruit. I am hoping to extend my season with these.
Another issue right now is I have half grown Kishus and some small fruit and flowers
With the year-round fertilizer and warm Winters the tree is sort of ever-bearing.
I have been using a manure and I have been applying small amounts every couple months
and I also spray foliar with Southern Ag and Miracle grow.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:09:49 PM by achetadomestica »

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fertilizer Schedule for HLB Infected Citrus?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »
So your recommendation is to fertilize 4x the recommended amount, doing it about once a month? Anyone else have a different experience?