Author Topic: WTB True Mexican Cream Guava Tree Grafted or Airlayered  (Read 2237 times)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
WTB True Mexican Cream Guava Tree Grafted or Airlayered
« on: April 22, 2020, 02:15:11 AM »
Anyone has this for sale? I have tried buying the ones from big box store, it never bear fruit although it always blooms every year. The seedling i got online never bear fruit either.
Jim Barrett nursery used to carry it, and they certified to ship to CA, but they said they don't have it anymore. The scam ebay seller, guavaking, listed the airlayered one, and claimed the he owns the tree which always bear fruit, but all the pictures of the fruits and the tree in his listing are stolen from google images. So i doubt he really owns the tree.

tspw88

• USA, CA, Irvine, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: WTB True Mexican Cream Guava Tree Grafted or Airlayered
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 12:10:22 AM »
Saw two or three of the Mexican cream guava trees at the Lowes Home Improvement store in Covina, CA about 2 weeks ago.  All the guava trees from Lowes and Home Depot come from La Verne Nursery in Piru, CA.  I've always had good luck with the guava trees from either store, but if it is a seedling it might take a year to three for it to fruit.  Just fertilize with miracle gro and water it well.  I used to have two of them, I didn't like the fruits and dug them up.   

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 04:53:25 AM »
Your intuition is correct, just search these forums for the name of that seller.

I have access to a Benjamin guava which is what I consider to be a superior selection of the MCG.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to performing an air layer yet, I don't want to risk exposing the owners to Covid.

Good luck on your search, all the ones I've found so far (for sale) were seed-grown, so I understand the difficulty of your quest.

In a few years I may be able to help, but I understand wanting to find it sooner.

konan99

• Cupertino
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 05:33:49 PM »
I have one from La Verne bought it from Lowes 4+ years ago.  It's the only guava that doesn't need cold protection in SF bay area.  Fruit is smaller like guavas you find in Mexican grocery stores and flavor is mixed.  The later ripening fruits tend to taste sweeter and better.  We eat them when they are crunchy not soft.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 06:07:21 PM »
Saw two or three of the Mexican cream guava trees at the Lowes Home Improvement store in Covina, CA about 2 weeks ago.  All the guava trees from Lowes and Home Depot come from La Verne Nursery in Piru, CA.  I've always had good luck with the guava trees from either store, but if it is a seedling it might take a year to three for it to fruit.  Just fertilize with miracle gro and water it well.  I used to have two of them, I didn't like the fruits and dug them up.

Thanks.

I bought one from HD about 3-4 years ago, the tree is healthy and about 8 ft tall now, not one single fruit.
What I heard from many people is, sometimes the La Verne 's Mexican Cream is not a true Mexican Cream.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 06:10:54 PM »
Your intuition is correct, just search these forums for the name of that seller.

I have access to a Benjamin guava which is what I consider to be a superior selection of the MCG.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to performing an air layer yet, I don't want to risk exposing the owners to Covid.

Good luck on your search, all the ones I've found so far (for sale) were seed-grown, so I understand the difficulty of your quest.

In a few years I may be able to help, but I understand wanting to find it sooner.

Hi Oolie,

Thanks for your kind offer.
When you have the Benjamin Guava available, please let me know.
I can always make room for a good superior guava.
It is hard to find a true variety of grafted guava now days, maybe because the effort to air layer it not worth the price.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 06:12:01 PM »
I have one from La Verne bought it from Lowes 4+ years ago.  It's the only guava that doesn't need cold protection in SF bay area.  Fruit is smaller like guavas you find in Mexican grocery stores and flavor is mixed.  The later ripening fruits tend to taste sweeter and better.  We eat them when they are crunchy not soft.

Does the taste creamy like custard?
That is how the true Mexican Cream supposed to taste like from what I heard.

konan99

• Cupertino
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »

The fruits turn yellow when it's ripe and the texture is semi-soft but not to a "creamy" level like banana or cherimoya.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 11:26:20 PM »

The fruits turn yellow when it's ripe and the texture is semi-soft but not to a "creamy" level like banana or cherimoya.

Hi Konan99,

I have one like what you described.  It is not too soft with a little of crunchiness.  The seeds are stuck together form a small ball shape and it is completely separate from the outter layer.  There is a air gap between the seed and the outter layer.  Maybe the cost of this happen is I don't water it.  I think it is over 30 years tree, I inherit the tree from the property.  It is loaded with fruits now, should be ready in few more months.  I will posted some pictures and hope some expert help me ID the tree

Thanks,
Al
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:35:23 PM by pinkturtle »

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 02:42:04 AM »
I have heard bad reviews on the Mexican cream guava from the big box stores.  I bought on eBay from guavaking.  Wouldn't surprise me if he is a board member.  But, bought it a month ago and it is doing great in the AZ summer.

Istanabungur

• Riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 03:37:52 AM »
I bought mine at Home depot and it bears a good amount of fruit every year. Thank you tspw88 for La Verne Nursery info. They close down the one in La Verne last year and I felt so bumped out because Colorama supply Home Depot with 6 packs of different colored bell peppers, eggplants, sweet and hot peppers .I always get them every year. Yet, I did not seen them this year in any nearby Home Depot.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 08:24:51 PM »
I don't eat Benjamins hard, I wait for them to soften to scoop with a spoon creamy texture. Softer than a Cavendish, but denser than a soft-ripe cherimoya. It's a good middle ground.

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 09:00:01 PM »
Just bought a mexican cream at Lowes for $9.  We’ll see what happens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk