Author Topic: Grafting question:  (Read 1081 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Grafting question:
« on: July 16, 2020, 08:29:38 PM »
I grafted citradia onto FD, cleft graft, and parafilm taped it to the end as I have seen others do online. They said leave the tape on and just let the new growth fight it’s way out. My instincts tell me to remove at least some at the end so the new growth can develop easier. What should I do, y’all?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting question:
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 03:08:06 AM »
I wait 3 weeks, then if the bud hasn't emerged, I will uncover the bud only. The remaining wrap usually doesn't interfere much with growth. It appears that the wrap might be fairly thick, if which case it can indeed restrict normal bud development.

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 09:58:06 AM »
I stretch the Parafilm and apply only one layer over buds. After a while, buds go through the Parafilm. Usually, by that time the Prafilm has started to break down and has weakened.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 06:53:10 PM »
Thanks y’all.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 07:18:46 PM »
Yay! I went out and cut the tape off the end of the bud and the little leaves just popped right out! Thanks again!

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 07:13:05 PM »
The citradia I grafted pictured above is growing great. I grafted three more three weeks ago the same way, and they are not putting out any growth. What should I do? My first successful one was grated a month before the others. I’ll try to post current pics of all four trees. I took the parafilm off of two of them a week ago and still no bud break.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 07:04:42 PM »
The three grafted citradia trees mentioned above are now starting to show some new leaves. The rootstock is putting out stronger growth though; should I leave the rootstock growth for now to nourish roots or will it take too much from the scion growth? Is the apical dominance of the scion growth enough to keep the rootstock growth from weakening the scion?