Author Topic: Passion fruit id  (Read 3661 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Passion fruit id
« on: September 02, 2020, 06:21:46 AM »
What species is this pf ?? Tanks for any recomendations !

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Passion fruit id
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 08:09:40 AM »
p. quadrangularis?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 08:15:33 AM »
2 choices either quadrangularis or alata and I am rootin for the former but that young fruit does look small.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 09:03:25 AM »
2 choices either quadrangularis or alata and I am rootin for the former but that young fruit does look small.
that is the only bud that managed to hang on and grow, it hasnt flowered yet. I also thought that it is one of the two suggested . Are guadrangularis and alata self fruitfull, or do they need to be polinated with a non relative plant.
Will post a pic when the flower blooms ,so it is easier to identify . Thanks for your sujesstions.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 11:07:49 AM »
Looks similar to my Passiflora Decaisneana.
I'm watching some small flower buds on it as well.

CAUTION: Speculative Information Ahead:

I've heard it referred to as "Purple Dragon"
Supposed to be a cross between Ruby Glow and quadrangularis... don't hold me to that info though.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »
Looks similar to my Passiflora Decaisneana.
I'm watching some small flower buds on it as well.

CAUTION: Speculative Information Ahead:

I've heard it referred to as "Purple Dragon"
Supposed to be a cross between Ruby Glow and quadrangularis... don't hold me to that info though.
your right ,it looks the same ,actually to me all the guadrangularis carieties look the same . Waiting for the flower to pop up to take a pic . Have your above mentioned pf gave fruit to u , or is it going to flower for the first time also. Do u know if this variety is self fertile, if mine turns out to be also.I will polinate the flower with its pollen and will cnow in a few days I suppose.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 10:32:29 AM »
This is my first growing season of this variety... and so far no fruit or blooms... patiently waiting and watching the buds now!

Kevin jones

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 01:12:27 PM »
I think tomorrow is the day , will take a pic when open and post.I  Will polinate it with its own pollen , hope its a self fertile variety.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 02:32:10 AM »
Sooooo, what particular guadrangularis variety do u all think it might be ?

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
Here's a few shots of mine blooming also today
Supposedly Passiflora Decaisneana:

Kevin jones

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »
Here's a few shots of mine blooming also today
Supposedly Passiflora Decaisneana:

Kevin jones
haha I thought I was looking at my pics for a second, they are the same literally , do u know if this variety is self fertile and have u tried to pollinate the flowers with theyr own pollen ?? Tanks 😀 

Pc: I self polinated it, guess if its self fertile the fruit should start growing in a few days, thought I know that there might be other forces at paly like maturity of plant, water and fertilizer, temps etc etc.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:57:31 AM by Plantinyum »

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 10:45:12 AM »
Your quote under 'MikeT, has definitely caused considerable confusion in this forum. Sorry please don't think otherwise. Your comments seem to be not the problem. We are used to reading highly practical, exhaustive, personally experienced comments from a down under Tropical Queenslander Mike T! who happens to be a hero member. I just wonder what my other fellow members feel about this?

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 10:55:29 AM »
This is the first time these have bloomed... and these particular blooms are so high up my back hedge that I had to get a 12ft step ladder to take the photos!
I've been trying to train several other growth tips to bloom at a somewhat more reasonable height.

Kevin Jones

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 11:15:08 AM »
Ok sorry if I confused anyone with my fast comment that was a bit hit and run. The square stem pins it down to the two species I mentioned and decaisneana I believe is a cross between the two I think. P.quad. is more robust a bit more purplish in the flower and flowers are bigger. The fruit of course is very different with thick aromatic edible flesh. Quadrangularis doesn't have named varieties as far as I know but some have yellower or rounder fruit. Isolated vines can set a few fruit but prefer to cross with another vine.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »
Thank u all for the thoughts ,I will keep u posted with the happenings regarding the flower !!

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 03:07:07 PM »
I hope you read my above comment as a whole again regarding confusion. Thanks.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »
Yes, p. decaisneana has square stem and is alata X quadrangularis
Ok sorry if I confused anyone with my fast comment that was a bit hit and run. The square stem pins it down to the two species I mentioned and decaisneana I believe is a cross between the two I think. P.quad. is more robust a bit more purplish in the flower and flowers are bigger. The fruit of course is very different with thick aromatic edible flesh. Quadrangularis doesn't have named varieties as far as I know but some have yellower or rounder fruit. Isolated vines can set a few fruit but prefer to cross with another vine.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 01:09:33 AM »
I hope you read my above comment as a whole again regarding confusion. Thanks.
  it may be a bit silly but I did not get I was directed for me ,if I did something wrong I apologize . I think everyone's sugesstion could be taken as a confusion ,since without dna test we are basically just guessing here ,either way , but I know in this forum there are people who know the characteristics of plants and can narrow down a accurate suggestion. Once again I apologise for any confusion I have made .
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 01:12:28 AM by Plantinyum »

Triphal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 08:55:53 AM »
My comment was either not read completely nor understood so far. I was ONLY acknowledging the confusion due to perceptual similarities between commentators MikeT and Mike T. Period.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2021, 11:55:45 PM »
I have a question for both you Plantinyum and Kevin.

Did you ever get a fruit to set on your passion fruit flower?

I have one that I don't know what variety is it. I bought a small plant thinking it was Lilikoi but after I posted my flower photos I was informed that I have a Passiflora Decaisneana.

Here's a photo of my flower on my vine. I also have another 4 flowers that will open in a week (11/27/21). The first flower shown in this photo was hand pollinated but it did not hold, if fell off with no fruit set.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 11:59:31 PM by sc4001992 »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 01:29:19 AM »
I have a question for both you Plantinyum and Kevin.

Did you ever get a fruit to set on your passion fruit flower?

I have one that I don't know what variety is it. I bought a small plant thinking it was Lilikoi but after I posted my flower photos I was informed that I have a Passiflora Decaisneana.

Here's a photo of my flower on my vine. I also have another 4 flowers that will open in a week (11/27/21). The first flower shown in this photo was hand pollinated but it did not hold, if fell off with no fruit set.

hi, no i did not get any fruit set on mine the past year ,back then it only had like 2-3 flowers.
This year i planted it in my gh in the ground and it exploded with growth trought summer, it started blooming around september just as the temps started to cool down.
It had i would guess around 40 flowers this year ,as one might expect i self pollinated them as best as i could yet it did not set any fruit this year also.
One observation i had was that the first blooms were the biggest and most colourfull ,as the blooming period was rollin  the blooms were getting smaller and paler, like the one in your pic.  Seems the species is a fall bloomer in my region so it does not help itself setting fruit , since it misses the optimal conditions for the purpose.
In one tread people suggested to cross it with caerulea pollen ,i  was going to do that but instead got my caerulea plants severely neglected and did not had a single bloom this year. If u have one flowering now, i suggest u to try to cross them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:32:43 AM by Plantinyum »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 01:49:14 AM »
Yes, I hope I get more than one flower opening at the same time so I will cross pollinate the flowers. I also heard from Hoang that it's to late now for the flowers to set and that they will probably all fall off. Since it is the first time my vines have flowers in 5-6 yrs maybe it will be different and set one fruit.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 02:35:58 AM »
Yes, I hope I get more than one flower opening at the same time so I will cross pollinate the flowers. I also heard from Hoang that it's to late now for the flowers to set and that they will probably all fall off. Since it is the first time my vines have flowers in 5-6 yrs maybe it will be different and set one fruit.

i dont think that crossing flowers from the same plant will work, its the same genotype.  U need a different plant from the same species, or other passiflora species that are known to succesfully cross pollinate  with quadrangularis and its hybrids .
Yesterday i saw my plant having one flower bud thats growing, funny since its close to the wood stove and got 50% of it severy toasted from the heat. I am not heating right now, just had several test firings, one time i got the fire so strong it just partially damaged some of the plants close to it.

The plant is currently also having new vegetative growth, the lowest temp in gh till now was 3.8 C.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 08:53:45 AM »
Kaz,

I have Hoang’s decaisneana started from cutting this past spring planted at the farm.  It bloomed and set set fruit last week with the warmer weather we had.  I did not hand pollinate.  I wasn’t there when it bloomed, I’ll take a picture of fruit set tomorrow.  I was surprised it was blooming from first year cutting.

Janet

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »
Hoang’s PD doesn’t need pollens from another variety - using the pollens from the same flower works well. In fact, Hoang said pollens from regular passion fruits (that flower opens upward) wouldn’t work.