Author Topic: Passion fruit id  (Read 3594 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Passion fruit id
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2021, 06:29:06 PM »
Janet, wow that is quick. Yes please take a photo of the fruit set, would like to see what it looks like.

Ken, glad you mentioned the hand pollination from the same flower, I do remember Hoang said that now. I just hand pollinated the flower today, here's a few more photos of my flower taken today. I have 3-4 more that might open in another week so I will continue to pollinate them, maybe one will set.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2021, 12:18:52 AM »
Kaz, in my experience when the vine isn’t ready it won’t hold any fruits no matter how well you hand pollinate them. Happened to me the first year. No fruits despite hand pollination. Then second year it worked totally fine

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2021, 01:57:46 AM »
Kaz, in my experience when the vine isn’t ready it won’t hold any fruits no matter how well you hand pollinate them. Happened to me the first year. No fruits despite hand pollination. Then second year it worked totally fine
I really hope that this is the case with my plant also, hope it sets something next year and i will try to find a way to make it bloom earlier ,while the warm weather is present.
One thing that i wonder is if the colder temps triggered it to bloom that late??

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2021, 04:27:57 PM »
Looks like it bloomed yesterday, plus pics of fruit set from last week.  The fruit have grown fast.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2021, 10:53:59 PM »
Janet, wow your fruits looks big already. I hope I get one flower to set fruit. I just pollinated 2 more today and I saw another 5 that might open by next week. When I looked at my flowers closer it looks like it doesn't have any pollen on the pedals so maybe that's my problem. It may need another year before my flowers have pollen. I just used my purple passion flower pollen since the PD didn't seem to have any in the flowers.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2021, 12:11:20 AM »
Janet, wow your fruits looks big already. I hope I get one flower to set fruit. I just pollinated 2 more today and I saw another 5 that might open by next week. When I looked at my flowers closer it looks like it doesn't have any pollen on the pedals so maybe that's my problem. It may need another year before my flowers have pollen. I just used my purple passion flower pollen since the PD didn't seem to have any in the flowers.

Kaz when in the day did you check for the pollen? I think it's possible that PF flowers form pollens later in the day.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2021, 01:12:35 AM »
I checked for pollen at about 4pm, before I hand pollinated today.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2021, 03:04:08 AM »
My plant was also very variable in regard  to having pollen on the flowers. Some of them had a good amount, others had none. I think the late flowers barely had any pollen, low temps may be the cause.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2021, 03:26:19 AM »
Yes, you may be correct about the cold temperature and no pollen. But my purple fruit passion (passiflora edulis) flowers seems to have no problem with lots of pollen and when I hand pollinated them last week the fruits set and it is doing well.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2021, 09:22:34 AM »
Yes, you may be correct about the cold temperature and no pollen. But my purple fruit passion (passiflora edulis) flowers seems to have no problem with lots of pollen and when I hand pollinated them last week the fruits set and it is doing well.
edulis is bullet proof for me . Flowers are awlays full of pollen, sets truit on every hand pollinated flower, some times on ones that i havent pollinated also...
Another problematic passiflora for me is ligularis. The two plants got huge, had tiny flower bud starts all over the place, none of which managed to grow and flower. If those and my quadrangularis do survive the winter i will give them one more summer ,and if there isnt any impovement i will take them out and plant an purple edulis, which has never let me down on fruit production.

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2021, 10:11:02 AM »
I have Hoang's passiflora decaisneana that I grew from cuttings this past winter ago.. It went crazy over the summer, got probably 100+ flowers.. Finally ripened a couple weeks ago.. The flowers look different than yours, maybe yours is a hybrid?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2021, 10:33:54 AM »

Here are a few pics of mine when it bloomed. I had posted pics of the blooms before , but they were with an stranje off colour to them from the pic, so posting those which are closer to the real deal.
I still cant differenciate the flowers of  quadrangularis, decaisneana and others that look close to those two.
However now when i took a look of the flowers of my plant, the look kinda different to those of SC4001992, mine are not so wavy....

I have Hoang's passiflora decaisneana that I grew from cuttings this past winter ago.. It went crazy over the summer, got probably 100+ flowers.. Finally ripened a couple weeks ago.. The flowers look different than yours, maybe yours is a hybrid?

What was the taste of those beauties ?? Was the rind edible ?

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2021, 10:54:52 AM »
Yours looks more closely to mine than SC4001992, I think his are different perhaps. The easiest way to tell between Quad. and Decais. is by looking at the Petoiles on the leaves.. Quad leaves have more of 3 pairs, while Decais. has mostly 2 pairs.. Also the Quad. leaves seem to be more rounded.. I have a hard time growing Quad. they don't seem very vigorous for me.

As for the taste, I would say it is a sweeter than the Edulis with less sourness so pretty good eating fresh.. I found the seeds weren't crunchy but more flat. The rind was edible, but kind of bland.. It taste like a the section of a cantaloupe closer to the rind.. Definitely edible but not something to write home about. I want to compare with the Quad. as those are much thicker and supposedly better. There is some Trinidadian recipe where you strain the seed juice and blend up the rind and add some sugar/cream, I tried that and it was pretty good like a milkshake.

Here are a few pics of mine when it bloomed. I had posted pics of the blooms before , but they were with an stranje off colour to them from the pic, so posting those which are closer to the real deal.
I still cant differenciate the flowers of  quadrangularis, decaisneana and others that look close to those two.
However now when i took a look of the flowers of my plant, the look kinda different to those of SC4001992, mine are not so wavy....

What was the taste of those beauties ?? Was the rind edible ?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2021, 01:47:20 PM »
MisterPlantee, your plant is impressive and to get fruits in less than 2 years is great. Those fruits are very large, congrats.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2021, 01:42:40 AM »
So just checked my plant and the petioles mosly have two pairs of two glands every petiole. Some of them have three pairs...
So was reading s3veral studies on the subject, and this one does an comparison of alata, quadrangularis and decaisneana. Decaisneana is said to have 4 glands on the petiole in 90%of the time, compared to quadrangularis which should have 6 glands most of the time.  Alata is out of the guessing game, since its flower is vissibly different, whereas the other two are harder to distinguish apart. This information iis basically the same , compared to the one provided from MisterPlantee.
Also by the pic my flowers look closer to decaisneana, so hopefully ive got my proper id .
Several studies also claimed that decaisneana is commonly sold as quadrangularis, another hint.

https://www.passionflow.co.uk/p-alata-comparison-id/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:41:05 AM by Plantinyum »

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2021, 09:18:43 AM »
Pics my daughter took of the blooms.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2021, 01:35:32 PM »
Janet, nice photos of the flowers. I can see all the pollen on your flowers, mine does not seem to show any yellow pollen.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2021, 03:38:47 PM »
Plantinyum, take a look at the leaves of my vine, I see 3 pairs of glands (6 total) so does it mean my plant is a P. Quad?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2021, 04:24:27 PM »
Plantinyum, take a look at the leaves of my vine, I see 3 pairs of glands (6 total) so does it mean my plant is a P. Quad?

I am not sure but judging by the above article, it may be it. I see that your plant has three sets of glants on every leaf, no matter the size. I am saying this since my plant has tre sets only on the biggest leaves, the smaller ones have two sets. I cant see by your photo ,but the glands on yours seem smaller than the  ones on mine, which are pointy.

Your leaves also seem rounder than mine. I did not harvest more leaves to picture since the plant is in a poor condition right now. I have shown a petiole and the glands on it also. The perfect leaf is pretty much how all of them are, as shape goes ... the biggest difference i see between both plant leaves is that mine has this elongation on the tip of the leaf, i'm sure there a botanical name for that...

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 04:32:13 PM by Plantinyum »