Author Topic: Fall Annona grafting results  (Read 2061 times)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Fall Annona grafting results
« on: October 09, 2020, 06:18:56 PM »
What percentage of takes are folks getting from grafting Annona’s in the Fall?
I wonder how results vary in different locations and which type of Annona’s are most successful?

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Annona grafting results
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 06:23:30 PM »
I an not bad at grafting but previous fall grafting results have not been great. I will stick to spring grafting.

FruitFool

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »
Hey Bush2Beach, I've done 10 cleft grafts this Fall so far down in San Diego. They have been cherimoya on cherimoya grafts. Of those 10 grafts, 6 have taken, 2 definitely did not take, and I am still waiting on 2 more grafts. So my percentage of takes thus far could be as high as 80% or as low as 60%. An important side not, I sourced the rootstock from different places. I believe if my rootstock were my own, of size, and ready to go, the percentage of takes might be higher. The rootstock I acquired looked like some were actively growing but also some were not pushing new growth so I wonder if the latter made a difference.

RB

• Santa Clara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 11:52:33 PM »
I've done around 30 grafts from the last week of Aug to this week.  Most have taken or are still green.  Still too early to tell for the ones grafted within the past 2 weeks.  It's been taking 3-4 weeks for the buds to start pushing.  Result are higher than I expected.  I attempted fall grafting last year and results were awful.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »
I've done around 30 grafts from the last week of Aug to this week.  Most have taken or are still green.  Still too early to tell for the ones grafted within the past 2 weeks.  It's been taking 3-4 weeks for the buds to start pushing.  Result are higher than I expected.  I attempted fall grafting last year and results were awful.

Did you change anything?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 11:51:54 AM »
Was the temperature during grafting different than last year?

RB

• Santa Clara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 06:42:41 PM »
Temps here the past month kept fluctuating from high 90's to mostly low 70's with smoke and ashes most days.  I think last year the temps were consistently hotter most days. I was busy with work last year and didn't have as much time as I have now to monitor progress of the grafts.  This year I also bagged the new grafts for the first week or 2 just because I felt the green wood is more fragile and prone to drying out or getting fried on hotter days.  I can send some pictures of the grafts when I get back from San Diego in a few days.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 12:38:26 PM »
I have never had a successful Fall Annona graft .
From those that have even moderate success, are you shading , what are your temps, any nugget that could help translate to some success for me.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 03:06:08 PM »
Jonah, it just needs to be in that sweet spot of not too hot and not too cold and they will grow.  My problem is its still too hot and dry here. 
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
Last year 40% good with cleft graft from late August.
Last November 90% good from Forkert with nurse leaf.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 11:59:04 AM »
When it cools down enough , winter will be around the corner and tender new grafts into winter is not good. It was 90 degrees in Santa Cruz yesterday.
I’ll just stick to April Annona grafting when I get 100% and they have an entire growing season to establish themselves. I am hearing no compelling reasons or rationale to graft Annona’s in the fall, in CA.

Jonah, it just needs to be in that sweet spot of not too hot and not too cold and they will grow.  My problem is its still too hot and dry here.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 01:45:36 PM »
I agree its better in spring.  Sometimes Ill do seedlings this time of year so they are ready for sale in spring.  I dont want to keep trees in pots going for 2 years. 
Brad Spaugh

Cali-gal

• Camarillo, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 06:19:53 PM »
I am hoping that there will be able to be scion exchanges this coming year. I missed this last one in central California due to being in the hospital, and by the time I was well enough to go to the ones more south, the Covid 19 situation was in effect.

RB

• Santa Clara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 10:17:05 PM »
Just wanted to share an update with some of my fall annona grafts.  Most are pushing or still green, but growing really slow unlike spring grafting.

Leo Manuel #3 grafted Oct 7th

Birula and Rudy #2 grafted Sep 14th

Pink's Mammoth grafted Sep 14 - finally starting to push after 2 months

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 02:29:46 AM »
What about budding instead of grafting?
I always chip-bud graft Annonas.