Author Topic: Pulasan on bulala, worth the effort? Rootstock for N. cuspidatum?  (Read 1369 times)

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
I’ve read in several forum posts that bulala is graft compatible with pulasan and grows much more vigorously than pulasan. Has anyone tested this combo and have results to share? I’m interested in learning if bulala increases pulasan overall vigor: growth rate, time to first harvest, fruit regularity and production level.

Also read that bulala rootstock can overwhelm the pulasan with suckers, but can’t find any info on how bulala affects growth, fruiting and resistance to pests.

Any tips appreciated, this may be a question only answered by trying!

N. cuspidatum giant rambutan compatible with any other Nephelium rootstock?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Pulasan on bulala, worth the effort? Rootstock for N. cuspidatum?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 04:25:20 AM »
Pulasans fruit pretty fast from seeds anyway and incidentally are harder to air layer/marcot than rambutans. I have not heard of anyone using anything but rambutan and pulasan rootstock for pulasan. I suspect cuspidatum would be ok on a few different related congenors and it might stop them getting lanky.

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 01:29:35 PM »
Thanks Mike!

Unless someone says to not waste any time with bulala, I’ll probably start a few seedlings next year to test as pulasan rootstock

Do you know if one rambutan cultivar is preferred over another for pulasan rootstock?

I found an interesting article looking at genetic relatedness of Nephelium species and varieties. Turns out the closest relation to N. lappaceum v. pallens the wild rambutan is pulasan and not v. lappaceum. Are grafters use v. pallens as rootstock?

Also interesting N. hypoleucum is the closest relative to N. lappaceum v. lappaceum

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 06:01:11 AM »
Not that I am aware of and I suspect you can't just look at rambutan growth form and foliage characteristics to determine relatedness of varieties. The trees of say rongrien, R134 and R156 yellow or for that mater many Indonesian ones look pretty different from each other as do the fruit. Seems like rambos do have a fair bit of genetic diversity.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 06:44:39 AM »
Im going to try inarch a rambutan and pulusan onto my korlan fruit trees this summer  if i can get top stock. If it works I will let you know.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 06:57:19 AM by druss »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »
N.uncinatum is around and I posed a pic last season. They could be a good option also if you can lay your mits on some.

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 12:43:13 PM »
Im going to try inarch a rambutan and pulusan onto my korlan fruit trees this summer  if i can get top stock. If it works I will let you know.

Cool druss, look forward to your results, whether it works or not. Based on genetics I’d guess rambutan will take well to korlan.

I’m planning a few different combos between rambutan, pulasan, bulala, korlan and cuspidatum. It will probably be a few years before I can report back here.

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 12:57:03 PM »
N.uncinatum is around and I posed a pic last season. They could be a good option also if you can lay your mits on some.

Mike, I can always count on you to offer great advice and to spotlight a great fruit I have little chance of obtaining ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 09:24:48 PM »
Pulasans fruit pretty fast from seeds anyway and incidentally are harder to air layer/marcot than rambutans. I have not heard of anyone using anything but rambutan and pulasan rootstock for pulasan. I suspect cuspidatum would be ok on a few different related congenors and it might stop them getting lanky.
Yes there was a nurseryman here using bulala (N. phillipinensis) as rootstock for pulasan. BTW i've heard rambutan is not compatible with pulasan.
The problem with bulala as a rootstock is that it is a lot more vigorous than pulasan, and there is a lot of very fast growth below the graft line. If you don't keep that growth cut off it will outgrow and overpower the pulasan.
I've airlayered pulasan without any problems.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 09:28:26 PM »

Cool druss, look forward to your results, whether it works or not. Based on genetics I’d guess rambutan will take well to korlan.

I’m planning a few different combos between rambutan, pulasan, bulala, korlan and cuspidatum. It will probably be a few years before I can report back here.
Bulala is worth growing for it's own merit. It's a pretty good fruit. I have korlan but it has never fruited in Hamakua. Might be too warm for it there.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 09:45:14 PM »
I think korlan likes a strong dry season so that may be an issue. Come to think of it I have not actually seen pulasan on rambutan just heard people had done it.

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 12:44:17 AM »
Hilo station has a few photos of productive korlan, fluke? Oscar, guessing your coastal trades keep away all cool air. Where I’m at warm air comes from ocean, cool air from down the mauka

Hopefully I can fruit it; there are some chilly nights but no long dry spells.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 01:55:53 AM »
Hilo station has a few photos of productive korlan, fluke? Oscar, guessing your coastal trades keep away all cool air. Where I’m at warm air comes from ocean, cool air from down the mauka

Hopefully I can fruit it; there are some chilly nights but no long dry spells.
Good to see that korlan was fruited at Hilo Experimental Station. The ones i planted are right at sea level. The station is a bit higher than that. Maybe enough to make a difference? My trees flowered lightly once but did not set any fruit. I will try it again at another orchardt that is 600 ft. elevation.
Oscar

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 03:23:11 AM »
Mine are just starting to flower here at the end of winter, I will post pics later. I think they need cool weather to trigger flowering. I need to try bulala seeds again, didnt get any takers from the last lots.