Author Topic: WTB: Fortunella Hindsii (aka Hong kong kumquat / kinzu / Golden bean kumquat)  (Read 6812 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
What is P-quat?

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
Procimequat maybe?

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Yes, procimequat. I was lazy lol.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Did you sample the fruit on either one (kinzu or p-quat lol)? How do they taste

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Neither, bud I've been told Procimequat is more lime like and actually had something to it, whereas Kinzu is basically just a seed or two with skin.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
If people want on the list, just to see how many seeds I have to divide, send me a pm. Being there’s a lot that want the seeds I ask for shipping costs! I will send whole fruits. I have roughly 30-50 fruits. Some ripened, some not fully yet.

vnomonee

• View Profile
I eneded up buying the Hindsii from that nursey with the wrong description based on the pictures posted here. From that plant I rooted 2 cuttings successfully and grafted another cutting to poncirus. So I have 4 plants now lol. The plant wasn't cheap so I will probably put the 2 rooted cuttings on eBay or Etsy when they are bigger and keeping the original plant and the grafted cutting. I had 4 fruit set and some tiny flowers when the plant came but nothing to cross pollinate it with for hybridizing (how I would do this with such tiny flowers is another thing lol).   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 11:34:58 AM by vnomonee »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Post some pics! I purchased mine from nuncar and this is what I got haha. So mine came true. Mine was rather cheap from there, ran around $25.

vnomonee

• View Profile
This is an older picture, the plant is in my grow tent now for the winter. I'll get some new ones next time I get in there:

<br /><br />

<br /><br />

The fruit as of last week: (blotches on leaves is from spray of horticultural oil for spider mites)

<br /><br />
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:11:41 PM by vnomonee »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
I had 4 fruit set and some tiny flowers when the plant came but nothing to cross pollinate it with for hybridizing (how I would do this with such tiny flowers is another thing lol).
If you do ever hybridize please keep us updated. I'm interested as the kinzu doesn't have many crosses compared to its other kumquat brethren.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
I finally sampled some kinzu, they have a pungent taste that kinda reminds me of the time I tried Sichuan peppercorn.

vnomonee

• View Profile
Interesting! Did you eat it whole or separate from the seeds? 

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Interesting! Did you eat it whole or separate from the seeds?
Popped the seed out and ate the peel, definitely didn't want to risk eating the seeds  :o

They really are mostly skin and seed but skin came off easier than I anticipated as well. There is a tiny amount of flesh!

I could see some chef using it as a cupcake topper or something  ;D

vnomonee

• View Profile
Now I am patiently waiting for mine to turn orange. How long did it take you? Mine set in August

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Now I am patiently waiting for mine to turn orange. How long did it take you? Mine set in August

I want to say mine took from mid July when it first pushed flowers till now to ripen. Not crazy long. 3-6 months I would say as some was mature before they turn orange as well.

vnomonee

• View Profile
Good to know! Btw they are easy to root from cutting and graft:
The cuttings are growing quicker than the graft to poncirus

<br /><br />

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
I tried to root them before from cuttings, but had little luck. You got yours from nuncar?

I just plugged around 30 to root this time around to see how it goes now that I have upgraded my equipment.

vnomonee

• View Profile
Yes that's where I got it. I root all of my cuttings under a plastic fishtank outside in the shade. It gets humid and hot but the sun doesn't cook them. I use moist Coco coir and dip the cuttings in rooting powder (Indole-3-butyric acid). I haven't tried rooting them indoors yet but I've had success with other plants using a plastic ziplock bag instead of the tank in my grow tent

vnomonee

• View Profile
Poncirus+ cuttings and the hindsii in there somewhere lol

<br /><br />

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
That’s pretty resourceful! I grow my cuttings now in a rather controlled environment. Fan kicks on above 80F, heat mat kicks on under 80F. Has 100% success on everything I’ve tried so far, so trying my new methods with the harder to root stuff. I’ve got 90% success out of finger limes so far.. waiting to see for oranges and kumquats. And the Kinzu now!

<br /><br />

vnomonee

• View Profile
Very nice, you will make a lot of clones with that setup!

Vlad

• Worcester, MA USDA zone 5b
    • View Profile
Where is the fan in your setup?

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile

Pic was a little cut off.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Looks great!

What kind of grow lights do you use?

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
I personally use sonofarm panels. Newer company, but great quality stuff. Otherwise for cheap lights I use bloom plus lights. Most of the cheaper ones all work the same with similar output. I’ve been testing lights for a few years now so if anyone’s interested I can do an actual breakdown of the on brand expensive stuff vs cheap knock offs.