Author Topic: Searching for all Eriobotrya species  (Read 1301 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Searching for all Eriobotrya species
« on: March 04, 2021, 12:32:30 AM »
In a dense effort to work on improving Eriobotryas, I am seeking all known species of the family, including a very instrumental hybrid.

I have only found one Bronze Loquat, and it is at a nursery in California near Santa Rosa that doesn't ship.  If someone was willing to get it and ship it, I'd gladly pay and tip for the service.

That said, anyone having these trees, cuttings or seeds of any of these, please let me know.  Thank you.

BRONZE (Eriobotrya deflexa)                                                                                                         
Eriobotrya bengalensis                                   
Eriobotrya cavaleriei                                   
Eriobotrya dubia                                   
Eriobotrya elliptica                                   
Eriobotrya fragrans                                   
Eriobotrya henryi                                   
Eriobotrya hookeriana                                   
Eriobotrya malipoensis                                   
Eriobotrya obovata                                   
Eriobotrya petiolata                                   
Eriobotrya prinoides                                   
Eriobotrya salwinensis                                   
Eriobotrya seguinii                                   
Eriobotrya serrata                                   
Eriobotrya tengyuehensi
COPPERTONE (Hybrid)

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for all Eriobotrya species
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 09:47:57 AM »
Did you find any of these?

elandybarr

• Seattle (Zone 8) and Ankara (Zone 6)
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 04:40:02 AM »
I got my E deflexa from Ken's/Urban Tropicals. Looks like they are closed for the winter now. It was a little pricey but it was a nice tree. I bought some seeds from Etsy too. The first time, I got no germination, and this time, I am trying to see if some gibberelic acid will help.

Good luck!

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 07:04:43 AM »
Do all these species make edible fruit?
Trying to grow it all!

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 05:03:47 PM »

I'd like to know as well. I've seen multiple sites say bronze loquat/ deflexa are inedible, other sites say they're edible but mostly bird food, but the guys from the Santa Cruz growers say they taste like honey. Makes me wonder if they're even talking about the same species.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 12:04:55 PM »
FYI Santa cruz fruitgrowers is a troll bot space fruit cRiSpR modified narcissist. Also a creeper. and while making 150 posts a day , is not an opinion to be trusted on anything fruit related ( or anything else for that matter)
A kook.

If they taste like honey, I am the Mayor of NYC.
It is talking about bronze loquat , but just no. Sorry.

I'd like to know as well. I've seen multiple sites say bronze loquat/ deflexa are inedible, other sites say they're edible but mostly bird food, but the guys from the Santa Cruz growers say they taste like honey. Makes me wonder if they're even talking about the same species.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 09:34:42 PM »
FYI Santa cruz fruitgrowers is a troll bot space fruit cRiSpR modified narcissist. Also a creeper. and while making 150 posts a day , is not an opinion to be trusted on anything fruit related ( or anything else for that matter)
A kook.

If they taste like honey, I am the Mayor of NYC.
It is talking about bronze loquat , but just no. Sorry.

We talking about the guy(s) who have the Etsy store(s), right? Just to be clear it's the same outfit. About the only thing I can say about them personally if so is that I ordered some of their lilly pilly seeds a while back and the resulting plants were in fact Lilly Pilly of the variety that's common in the south bay area.

I found that description of bronze loquat extremely suspect as well; those things are all over SoCal and seems like it'd be more known if they actually tasted good. But then I don't usually trust sellers descriptions aside from a few people who seem to have a good history.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 01:00:11 AM »
I don’t know about an etsy store.
He is a supposed doctor crackpot that makes his own line of anti cancer cannabis products with red die #4. So if you see that for sale also than, maybe.
No, you would know if it’s the same very crazy person.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 01:14:03 AM »
I don’t know about an etsy store.
He is a supposed doctor crackpot that makes his own line of anti cancer cannabis products with red die #4. So if you see that for sale also than, maybe.
No, you would know if it’s the same very crazy person.

No, not the same person/ people I think? I was referring to http://www.santacruzfruitgrowers.com/ ,they sell seeds and cuttings through etsy stores named "SlawekWojtowicz" and "NicolaWagner". Definitely haven't seen anything from their outfit about red die #4 or anti-cancer cannabis (although that sounds like a whole lotta crackpots in Santa Cruz...), they just seem like more rare fruit folks.

They're still saying bronze loquats taste good on their sales page tho...

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 02:38:29 AM »
Yeah, same nutjob.
I am positive he’ll tell you all about it if you ask.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 03:48:18 AM »
Yeah, same nutjob.
I am positive he’ll tell you all about it if you ask.

Huh, no kidding. Yeah I think I'll skip that one, I already spent too much of my youth listening to that kind of thing :)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 12:21:21 PM »
Slawek was nice to my wife and I when we visited the whiskey Hill farms jungle, gave us a big tour and let us have some solanum cuttings. Lots of passionate people volunteering there not sure what your experience with them was. Don't care if people are crackpot on unrelated things.

Bronze loquat (or the coppertone hybrid) is a very common street tree here and tastes sweet, no acid with very little flesh. Not worth growing for food but a nice ornamental.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 07:37:22 PM »
Bronze loquat (or the coppertone hybrid) is a very common street tree here and tastes sweet, no acid with very little flesh. Not worth growing for food but a nice ornamental.

Thanks for the weigh-in. It's good to have a firsthand account. I'm curious why we don't have more of them out here in Phoenix, given they plant them in Redlands-area desert strip malls. If it is edible and also sweet (even if not worth it) seems like it might be a candidate for selective breeding for a heat-tolerant better-tasting version.

And yeah again, for my part I don't know anything about Slawek except his seeds are what they say they are species-wise ime.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 02:28:04 AM »
When I was friendly with him , prior to his Iyawacksuh induced god complex,  when he went nuclear all knowing supreme chief fart sniffer, I tried “his favorite bronze loquat tree”  and found it inedible yet a beautiful tree.