Author Topic: Pouteria ucuqui  (Read 1907 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Pouteria ucuqui
« on: March 13, 2021, 05:38:44 PM »
Is anyone growing this sp. or has anyone tasted the fruit?

I found this information:

And also this pictures an information in Twitter (source: https://twitter.com/FrutasColombia/status/1243480933006794753)

Ucuquí, apaporis o yugo (Pouteria ucuqui) esta fruta pertenece a la familia de la sapotaceas y es nativa de Colombia, Venezuela y Brasil.
Crece en los departamentos de Vaupés, Amazonas y Guainía en altitudes entre los 100 a 250 msnm.
La principal parte comestible del fruto es el endocarpio blanco (parte que recubre la semilla), cuyo sabor es dulce y muy agradable. En algunas comunidades indígenas se cocina para obtener una colada.
La pulpa rojiza de la fruta no se acostumbra comer en los territorios en donde crece. No obstante, también tiene un sabor dulce que permite su aprovechamiento.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Pouteria ucuqui
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 07:19:37 PM »
I have never heard of Pouteria ucuqui. According to the Economic Botany article you cited, it looks like it was known to Richard Evans Schultes and Alfred Russel Wallace from their Amazon expeditions. It is listed in Perennial Edible Fruits of the Tropics: An Inventory, but only as a minor fruit with no description. Here is a link to Pires and Schultes's article about the fruit: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/7775414#page/161/mode/1up.

I am sure that if seeds ever became available, everyone on the forum would jump at the chance to get them and add another species of plant to their collections.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 07:22:30 PM »
I’ve never heard of it either.  But in the Spanish text it says that in the area where it occurs the people are not accustomed to eating it.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 10:24:08 PM »
As I said in another thread I found these fruit in a market in Cairns once and it was sourced from Mossman. It was much larger and had greener flesh than the one in the picture here. It tasted really good and closer to mamey than anything else.

David H

• Australia Qld. Ravenshoe 4888 .zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 03:45:08 AM »
Pages 249 to 251 of 'Food and Fruit-bearing Forest species . Examples from Latin America "  (FAO ) cover this species. (p.251 is an illustration).
From the 'Main uses ' section :
"When completely mature,the thick fleshy mesocarp of the fruit,which is very similar to avocado,is very pleasant ; however,the fruit contains an extremely sticky,abundant latex when green.The pulp of the fruit can be consumed in natura or as a porrage  which is prepared with'tapioca' or cassava meal over heat
until it boils. This porrage is highly appreciated and has a reputation as a delicious and nutritive food."

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 04:06:55 AM »
From my recollection it didnt taste like avocado and was more sweet than savoury and I prefered it to mamey.This is a fruit that should be in wider circulation. For that matter Raul's white fleshed green sapotes, red fleshed ilamas, Russell sweet garcinias, a few Durios and a whole lot of others should be stars instead of rare localised fruits.

David H

• Australia Qld. Ravenshoe 4888 .zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 04:29:00 AM »
I'm sure that's right ,Mike T.   No doubt they meant 'similar to avocado in texture'. I can't see a pouteria having a similar oil : sugar ratio as avocado.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 11:39:58 AM »
As I said in another thread I found these fruit in a market in Cairns once and it was sourced from Mossman. It was much larger and had greener flesh than the one in the picture here. It tasted really good and closer to mamey than anything else.

Based on this and some of your other posts, you must live in a fruit wonderland. I did not realize that so many rare fruits were growing in Queensland. Rare fruit growers in your area have been very busy over the years importing and growing interesting fruits.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 11:48:27 AM »
We are here to make them LESS Rare, I am.....just that some want Profit over ..... you finish the sentence.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 11:56:49 AM »
Simple question: Who’s got seeds?

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 03:28:00 PM »
Mike, some years ago I remember a nursery your way selling grafted purple fleshed mamey sapote. Thinking now that this may have been the plant. I cannot remember the name of the place, but it was an Internet only outfit, lots of rare stuff, but eye watering prices. Do you remember this site?

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 03:35:21 PM »
It was nq rare exotic plants. Website is offline, was a few years ago now.
NQ Rare Exotics
Cape Tribulation rd, Daintree, Queensland 4873
Coordinate: -16.0881, 145.4626199
Phone: 0499488816 (www.nqrareexoticplants.com)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 08:40:31 PM »
ok great detective work and I have sent out feelers to see if the tree exists still and precisely where it is.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 05:02:30 AM »
The information tentacles are out in all the right places and so far I have drawn a blank. I will track this one down and scare some information out from the underbrush but it seems very rare and poorly known.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »
The information tentacles are out in all the right places and so far I have drawn a blank. I will track this one down and scare some information out from the underbrush but it seems very rare and poorly known.

Thanks for your work trying to find this fruit.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 10:26:05 PM »
Is this the one you thought might be pouteria fossicola mike?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 11:55:32 PM »
Yes and P.fossicola can't be ruled out as a possibility for the mystery Mossman fruit. I understand both can have green skin exceed 4 inches in length, have a single seed and flesh can be orange brown to green. Both are central American also.Maybe Pouteria enthusiasts can give a little more info on P.fossicola which is also pretty thin on in terms of info available.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 05:43:58 AM »
Read about this fruit in the FAO publication cited above many years ago. It is very hard to source. The fruits are supposed to be very good quality, but the trees get really giant, the fruits fall to the ground from high up in the canopy and usually get consumed by jungle animals.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2021, 11:41:31 AM »

So this is pouteria Fossicola.  Some time ago, at the urging of Druss, I sought this material at the collection of CATIE here in CR.  With a worker there I found a pouteria marked only with a number that later identified it as fossicola.  The tree is medium size and was dropping the fruits that appear in the photos. 
The fruit is large and very good, similar to the Mamey sapote we are all familiar with.  However the skin is very thin.  According to Gary Zill, he and Richard Campbell rejected selecting this fruit for propagation because they figured the thin skin was a liability.
It’s interesting that the green sapote that CATIE has is a huge tree while the fossicola seems content with its smaller stature.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2021, 02:19:03 AM »
Sadly mine didnt survive,  im hoping yours fruit and i can try again.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 07:24:23 AM »
Ok I am pretty sure that my initial thoughts were correct in the local mystery fruit being P.fossicola rather than P.ucuqui as I suspected when I saw this thread. The ones I saw were about the same size as the ones pictured here but with greener skin and a hint of green through the flesh also. One lead is that the tree is on a Cape Tribulation  roadside property next to Noah Creek.Whether the initial Mossman source is correct I don't know but it seems unlikely that a single tree would be out there. I have a feeling this is a worthwhile fruit that should be in much wider circulation and wonder why it isn't prevalent in central America.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »
In Costa Rica p. fossicola May appear in the market as ‘Mamey sapote' just the same.
It’s surprising how many very good native fruits are not well known including, canistel, sapodilla, olosapo, etc.
Peter