Author Topic: Not enough Durian Discussion  (Read 9416 times)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Not enough Durian Discussion
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
Kradum is self fertile and an excellent early pollinator.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2021, 05:28:52 AM »
I read a funny article. Apparently, some Australians in Canberra smelled a gas leak and called firefighters. No gas leak, just durian. Since Australia has not followed the lead of some Asian counties and banned durian from some public spaces, it seems this sort of thing now happens with regularity. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/firefighters-scoured-an-australian-neighborhood-looking-for-a-gas-leak-they-found-a-durian-instead/ar-AAPyaue?ocid=msedgntp

I have never had durian, only read stories and watched videos of other people eating it. But, I once cleared out a room with some Limburger cheese, so I think I have a pretty good idea of durian's effect on people.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2021, 07:33:49 AM »
At my office I had a durian and marang I thought contained but there were complaints of odour. I accused the complainers of being anti-fruit crusaders but I lost there war. Security had been looking for a gas leak as I found out later.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 17, 2021, 10:12:22 PM »
Finca, sounds great hopefully the seedling that I got exhibit those traits :D It's gonna get a bit of extra attention now!

Haha, humans rejecting perfect natural foods and even doing it passionately. I guess some are used to fried wallpaper glue and road kill. Atleast wallpaper glue has some inherent certainty compared to fruit but it's for sure not epicurian fare like marang and durian...

A friend told me he have one tree (seedling) that have had fruit on it continiously since last year's first flowering and it's flowering now again with one fruit still hanging. (though it's a very, very low yeilding tree). A 100 of those could maybe supply enough for a year around consumption :D
For seed and plant swap/barter enter “tropical seeds” @ https://publicnote.com/

jimreevescairns

• Cairns, Far North Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 22, 2021, 07:02:06 AM »

Update on the large tree I cut down to graft onto. I was advised to leave at least one branch or run the increased risk of the tree dying. I was concerned I may not get any new shoots lower down on the trunk ( I want to start the new tree as low as I can) and so Trina suggested ringbarking the tree around 50% of it’s diameter to stimulate new shoots below the cut.
As you can see it worked well!! … the lower pictures are from a couple of months ago just after I cut it.
We will have a go at cleft grafting onto several
If the new shoots soon
Cheers Jim

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #230 on: November 22, 2021, 11:35:28 AM »
Nice work.  I’m doing something similar with marang/terap.
Peter

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2021, 07:56:12 PM »
I would love to try and grow durian, but the cruise ship I was on at the time refused me re-boarding with my precious seeds. The security screener said he could smell me coming a mile away. :-\
Of course, the big problem was that I had bought a durian at the farmer's market, then sat down and ate it and saved the seeds.
I had to sanitize my hands four times, up to my elbows, before they'd let me back on board...!
My husband said it was way worse than when I brought the noni fruit on board.

Cheers,
Carolyn

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2021, 12:28:47 AM »

Update on the large tree I cut down to graft onto. I was advised to leave at least one branch or run the increased risk of the tree dying. I was concerned I may not get any new shoots lower down on the trunk ( I want to start the new tree as low as I can) and so Trina suggested ringbarking the tree around 50% of it’s diameter to stimulate new shoots below the cut.
As you can see it worked well!! … the lower pictures are from a couple of months ago just after I cut it.
We will have a go at cleft grafting onto several
If the new shoots soon
Cheers Jim

That is an interesting technique. Thanks for sharing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk