Author Topic: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone  (Read 66548 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone
« Reply #425 on: May 19, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »
Would be nice if all 4 varieties can be saved and shared. Glad to hear about BP FruitKid!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 19, 2021, 11:08:18 PM »
Here’s a quick update of my An Hai. It’s doing a little better than my Biqi and it has longer leaves. The largest leaves are about 1.5 inches long and it seems to be growing more vigorously than the Biqi even though this variety didn’t have any leaves on it and the Biqi did.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 20, 2021, 01:36:40 AM »
Simon they are growing like crazy.  Looks like they will be ready to plant really soon.  Did you try acclimating them to outside at all yet?
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 20, 2021, 01:47:55 AM »
I give it a little bit of indirect sun everyday but not in or around noon. I usually give it early morning or late evening sun do that it doesn’t burn.

It gets a little bit of direct sunlight because I put it under my palm tree and when the wind blows, the leaves move, giving it some direct sun but only for a few seconds before the leaf shades it again.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 20, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »
Here’s an update on my Black Peak. Some buds are finally swelling and I see the first buds starting to pop. It’s got a long way to go before it catches up with the An Hai and Biqi but I’m super happy there are signs of life.

I’ve still only watered twice and I probably won’t need to water again for at least several days. It’s been cloudy the last week and I’ve been able to give my trees a lot more indirect sun. It’s been super cloudy but bright and the humidity has been relatively high so my plants seem to be loving it.

Here are a few pictures of the buds on my Black Peak.

Most of the branches are dead but there’s a few that have some green on them.

Simon
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:26:38 PM by simon_grow »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 20, 2021, 09:56:36 PM »
Lovely Simon!

Is anyone having luck with Dongkui?

Itay Gazit

• san jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 20, 2021, 10:21:16 PM »
Looks awesome Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2021, 10:51:58 AM »
Lovely Simon!

Is anyone having luck with Dongkui?

Rob, out of the four varieties, Dongkui is the variety I’m least concerned about because Fang has a good sized tree that is established.

I am also curious if anyone has a Donkui that has green buds or wood on it?

Thanks Itay!

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 21, 2021, 10:59:47 AM »
It was cloudy yesterday so I brought my Yangmei plants under my Palm tree as I always do but the sun came out and the shadow of my palm tree moved and my plants were exposed to full sun for maybe 15-30 minutes before I moved them under the shade again. There is now a slight bronze color on some of the leaves.

Only part of the leaves got affected because the shadow of my palm tree was still shading part of the trees.

When you give your trees light, be careful not to give it too much direct light.

I previously mentioned that Marta advised not to put your Yangmei plants under the canopy of larger trees but I doing it because I fogged my trees to kill any pests.

Simon

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 21, 2021, 11:30:06 AM »
All of my trees are still showing green wood including my two dongkui but they look pretty much the same as i got them. Only one of my  An Hai is showing green buds. I just moved them to 75% shade from full shade and hoping to see a little spark.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 21, 2021, 12:49:40 PM »
All of my trees are still showing green wood including my two dongkui but they look pretty much the same as i got them. Only one of my  An Hai is showing green buds. I just moved them to 75% shade from full shade and hoping to see a little spark.

Mine are all about the same, minus the chopping of dying scion back smaller and smaller. My AnHai is in the best shape so far. I moved Biqi and Dongkui indoors onto a heat mat and I think the Dongkui is finally about to pop out a bud. AnHai and black peak are still in the greenhouse in the shadiest area and not really doing anything. None of them are, but at least they aren't dead. I'm really tempted to give them a light liquid N and micronutrient fert... But will hold off some more.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 21, 2021, 01:15:57 PM »
In the same situation. Haha. I’m jealous of simons growth but from fangs post it seems like these guys need a long time to heal. None of mine were fortunate enough to have white root hairs or as many branched as simons so I’m keeping mine wrapped in wax tape and going with the hope and pray method.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 21, 2021, 02:05:23 PM »
My thoughts are that the shorter the duration was from Ken's place to the pot they live in now, the higher likelihood they are to thrive. Simon also is evidently the SoCal king of roots / plants, so, there is also that. I have hopes mine will survive. I am at least fairly certain the rootstocks will all survive.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 21, 2021, 05:03:54 PM »

My black peak

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 21, 2021, 08:24:17 PM »

My black peak

Nice work Canito lookin great! Yangmei can call Puerto Rico home now!
Nate

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 21, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »

My black peak

Wow looking so promising! Congrats!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 21, 2021, 09:59:00 PM »

That’s great news, green wood at this point is an excellent sign. Hopefully it will push soon. Please keep us updated!
Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 21, 2021, 10:07:36 PM »

Mine are all about the same, minus the chopping of dying scion back smaller and smaller. My AnHai is in the best shape so far. I moved Biqi and Dongkui indoors onto a heat mat and I think the Dongkui is finally about to pop out a bud. AnHai and black peak are still in the greenhouse in the shadiest area and not really doing anything. None of them are, but at least they aren't dead. I'm really tempted to give them a light liquid N and micronutrient fert... But will hold off some more.

I watered with a very diluted fertilizer solution on the second watering. I made sure it was low in Phosphorus. I saw increased growth after the fertilizer application but be very careful about over fertilizing.

Simon

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 22, 2021, 03:02:39 PM »

Happy yangmei dad today. Up potted one An Hai that is green wood but no buds swelling and just green wood. When I up potted I saw Beautiful white roots forming and growing. My other An Hai is swelling with buds.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 22, 2021, 03:30:51 PM »

Happy yangmei dad today. Up potted one An Hai that is green wood but no buds swelling and just green wood. When I up potted I saw Beautiful white roots forming and growing. My other An Hai is swelling with buds.

Hi Joe, great job! I’d rather have nice root growth over buds right now. I’m glad that Your method is working nicely.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 22, 2021, 03:51:03 PM »

Thanks! Here’s a picture of the green wood. Not very big but holding on! The other pic is my other An hai. It’s starting to bud but not checking roots. All my others are green but look dormant. Having roots show gives me hope.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 22, 2021, 05:55:25 PM »
My thoughts are that the shorter the duration was from Ken's place to the pot they live in now, the higher likelihood they are to thrive. Simon also is evidently the SoCal king of roots / plants, so, there is also that. I have hopes mine will survive. I am at least fairly certain the rootstocks will all survive.

This doesn’t seem to be true for me :). Most of you guys are doing better than me. My dongkui is dead above the graft, black peak and an Hai are alive but no obvious buds yet. Biqi is growing some leaves.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 24, 2021, 12:50:05 PM »
Curious to hear where you guys plan on planting your trees once the time comes? I guess it depends on your location...I read it grows in forest and mountain areas in its natural habitat between around 300-5,000ft in elevation so I’m thinking full time partial shade and not full sun would make a good, permanent home for them. Any thoughts? Update on my trees: Biqi is pushing nice green growth, albeit very slowly, and my An Hai grafted onto m. Californica has pushed a couple green buds through the graft tape.
Nate

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 24, 2021, 01:35:52 PM »
Wonder if it would produce more fruit in full sun or partial...
Nate

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 24, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »
Curious to hear where you guys plan on planting your trees once the time comes? I guess it depends on your location...I read it grows in forest and mountain areas in its natural habitat between around 300-5,000ft in elevation so I’m thinking full time partial shade and not full sun would make a good, permanent home for them. Any thoughts? Update on my trees: Biqi is pushing nice green growth, albeit very slowly, and my An Hai grafted onto m. Californica has pushed a couple green buds through the graft tape.

It's pretty rainy and often cloudy where the Yangmei trees are grown. It's pretty humid there too. My guess is that partial sun is excellent for them.