Author Topic: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone  (Read 67506 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone
« Reply #600 on: July 19, 2021, 02:19:54 PM »
I left mine in the pot they came in. I want to settle them down to recover from the shipping before up potting them.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 19, 2021, 02:26:35 PM »
I left mine in the pot they came in. I want to settle them down to recover from the shipping before up potting them.

Simon

Thanks Simon......

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 19, 2021, 04:47:12 PM »
I let my seedling recover for 2 days, then carefully removed the plant with soil for transplant to larger pot. If you cut the corners of the pot, you can carefully remove the whole plant without disturbing the soil. Just drop it in a large whole in the pot and no problem.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 20, 2021, 12:58:25 AM »
Thanks SC4001992.

After reading more info online.  Myrica cerifera is compatible for grafted.  Myrica californica is not.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 20, 2021, 01:11:13 AM »
I believe both are compatible but Cerifera may be preferred. Of the rootstocks available, it would appear that Yangmei seedling rootstock is best but hardest to acquire.

In the USA, Cerifera or Californica may be better able to adapt to our high pH soil but Shane was able to grow out his seedling Yangmei without any issues with the soil.

I guess we just don’t have enough data and we need everyone to report their experiences so we can systematically progress. We will fruit these trees here, it’s just a matter of time.

Simon

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 20, 2021, 01:31:44 AM »
The following link I believed is related to Yunfei Chen yangmei introduction.

https://image.hanspub.org/html/1-2210081_16972.htm

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 20, 2021, 03:08:13 AM »

It’s an excellent article if you can read chinese. Try google translate.

It did mention that both the cerifera & Californica are graft compatible with Yangmei.

It also mentioned that Yangmei grafted in Feb 2014 formed flower buds in summer/fall of 2014, with flower bloom in feb 2015. They grafted on Yangmei seedlings, and Biqi grafts were more vigorous than dongkui.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 20, 2021, 09:46:46 AM »
Thanks for all the research and info everyone!

Picked up a bundle of m. cerifera off Etsy. They were smaller than expected, but grow fast. Will eventually experiment grafting onto these.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 20, 2021, 08:05:24 PM »
Apparently there is another rootstock that can be used for Yangmei, M Pennsylvanica.

Check out this video for hints on how we might be better able to grow this fruit

https://youtu.be/QyqQagZM_6Y

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 20, 2021, 08:53:11 PM »
There’s actually a 4th Myrica that might work. A Taiwanese guy blogged about this in Chinese many years ago. I can never remember the name of it. Myrica gale. It’s not talked about at all in English.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:07:11 PM by fyliu »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 20, 2021, 11:38:20 PM »
I guess M. gale is not that promising, looking at the native range. https://fourthcornernurseries.com/plant/myrica-gale/

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 21, 2021, 09:38:22 AM »
I have some Myrica esculenta plants I may try grafting on things/on to in the future
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 26, 2021, 02:44:30 PM »
Hi beicadad,

is there any chance that you will do it again?  I missed this.  I would like to order 2 of each.  I didn't realize this is for 杨梅 when I looked at the topic.

Thanks,
Al

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 27, 2021, 11:48:41 AM »
I'd be in line for a second buy too, Ken - since I jumped on board too late to take part in the Norcal relay that would've gotten my plants up here a few months back. I'd likely be up for purchasing at least one each of the 4 varieties made available last time. Keep us posted if you're willing - I may be able to be the relay guy for the North Central Coast growers who are interested - especially if Nate is busy on the farm next time around.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:04:13 PM by Pedroboy »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 28, 2021, 10:45:26 PM »
Received my seedlings from Nat today.  Finger cross.  Hope I can get some fruits 6 years later.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 30, 2021, 07:00:37 PM »
I had not looked at the biqi since planting it a week or 2 ago.  checked it out today and it has started to take off already under the 90% shade.  Ill swap it to 70% soon.  It looks like it wants to grow fast.

Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 01, 2021, 04:25:44 PM »
Awesome Brad, I’ll definitely peep them out at the fruit party.

It’s still early for my grafts but out of two side cleft grafts, one has dried up and the other looks good.

I put on three bud grafts on M. Californica and one has definitely dried up and two look good so far. I believe at least one of the two remaining bud grafts is good because the leaf petiole dried up and segmented off while the bud is still green.

As for the other bud graft, both the leaf petiole and the bud is green.

The innarch of Yangmei onto M. californica looks good so far and the union is callousing over. There is new growth on the innarched branch of both the Yangmei and californica.

Simon

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 05, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »
I'd be in line for a second buy too, Ken - since I jumped on board too late to take part in the Norcal relay that would've gotten my plants up here a few months back. I'd likely be up for purchasing at least one each of the 4 varieties made available last time. Keep us posted if you're willing - I may be able to be the relay guy for the North Central Coast growers who are interested - especially if Nate is busy on the farm next time around.

Sorry for the late response. I’ve not been checking the forum very often.

Import is a pain in the butt and the worst case is total loss (USDA can destroy all trees if they find something they don’t like). That being said, I’m thinking about a second one in the winter - it looks like I may not have a tree surviving myself this time…

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 05, 2021, 04:02:02 PM »
Ken, that's terrible if you end up with no surviving plant after all this work you did for everyone and you ending up with none.
I have my 2 An Hai plants that are growing well, if you end up with none making it then I will give you one of my plants.

The reason I purchased these last call rootstock was after reading about all the work you did, and then you ending up with some extra plants because people who committed to buy backed out on you.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #619 on: August 05, 2021, 04:18:12 PM »

Import is a pain in the butt and the worst case is total loss (USDA can destroy all trees if they find something they don’t like). That being said, I’m thinking about a second one in the winter - it looks like I may not have a tree surviving myself this time…

I will be interested since I missed out last time, I would encourage you post it in the sale section of this forum, people hardly look here when they want new plants.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 05, 2021, 06:49:09 PM »

I will be interested since I missed out last time, I would encourage you post it in the sale section of this forum, people hardly look here when they want new plants.

That is a good point, I think I missed it because it is not on the sale section.
I am looking forward the 2rd order. 

Thanks,
Al

solow

• US, FL, Merritt Island, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 06, 2021, 08:20:11 AM »
I came in late.

Not sure where I can get the seeds or plants in Florida.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 06, 2021, 05:08:08 PM »
just switched the shade from 90% to 70% overhead and 30% on the sides.  It should really start to grow now its seems happy wnough here even though its super hot and dry and windy. 

Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 07, 2021, 11:51:50 AM »
Ken, that's terrible if you end up with no surviving plant after all this work you did for everyone and you ending up with none.
I have my 2 An Hai plants that are growing well, if you end up with none making it then I will give you one of my plants.

The reason I purchased these last call rootstock was after reading about all the work you did, and then you ending up with some extra plants because people who committed to buy backed out on you.

Kaz, it’s very kind of you! I’m still not giving it up yet on my remaining An Hai. Also, it seems that nobody is successful with dongkui and black peak this time.

ronke47

• Santa Monica, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2021, 01:45:46 PM »

It’s an excellent article if you can read chinese. Try google translate.

It did mention that both the cerifera & Californica are graft compatible with Yangmei.

It also mentioned that Yangmei grafted in Feb 2014 formed flower buds in summer/fall of 2014, with flower bloom in feb 2015. They grafted on Yangmei seedlings, and Biqi grafts were more vigorous than dongkui.

I have a copy of this in English if someone can tell me how to post a .pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk