Author Topic: .22 pellet gun with scope  (Read 2739 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
.22 pellet gun with scope
« on: April 18, 2021, 04:21:25 PM »
Good air rifle for removing rodents.
1. Use lead pellets vs. aluminum etc. to increase impact force and decrease velocity of this air propelled lead .22.  You do not want neighbors to think it is propelled by gunpowder.

The weak link IMO on this gun is the scope may fall apart with too much jarring over time internally. Try to decrease jarring but unfortunately every shot probably shortens it's time before the plastic separates internally. 1 of 3 scopes failed in about 18 months and other 2 still work fine.

Today was $119.99 but probably has already changed as amazon rapidly adjusts prices.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01APG0T7W/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1&psc=1

With laws possibly changing, you might consider buying now vs. later...

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
Re: .22 pellet gun with scope
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 12:17:11 AM »
Tag
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:21:04 AM by MorroBay »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 12:47:52 AM »
I have noticed those little red riders and the other cheaper type pellet guns that you pump from the bottom are actually quite a bit more accurate than any break barrels i have ever bought. also they take steel and copper bbs rather than lead pellets, which are definitely a heck of a lot better if youre gonna be shooting around edible plants, plus that lead dust even touching your skin is no good. Just my 2 cents

345 desoto

• Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 08:43:08 AM »
I have a Ruger "Air Hawk", which comes with its own Ruger designed Air Rifle Scope.  Once zeroed, it is deadly accurate. it is .177 model, and is a bit faster and more accurate than the .22 model.  Very well made...

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 08:46:56 AM »
Look up Flying Dragon Air Rifles.  Pay for the tuning, its worth it!

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 09:14:11 AM »
I just got a Hatsan Mod 95 with the gas spring instead of a mechanical spring which is supposed to reduce the double recoil. I was recommended to shoot it several hundred times to break it in before mounting the scope which is also supposed to help with the recoil. I have also been reading that you need to use a scope specifically made for air rifles or they will fall apart. So far it has been plenty accurate, I can reliably hit something the size of a quarter from 15 yards without a scope which is further than I need for the squirrels in my neighborhood.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 02:34:58 PM »
Do you have any recommendations for an air pistol that is fairly accurate. Most of my shots are going to be within fairly close range. My issue right now is with a bait robber Blue Jay. Keep taking my bait out of my live trap. I made the mistake of turning him loose instead of giving him a swimming lesson. Now he steals my bait.He turns around with his backside and dirties the trigger pan. My wife said she saw him schooling another blue jay on how to be a bait Robber. As Rodney Dangerfield would say no gratitude or respect! I can't believe they are such  dirty bird. Lol
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:56:46 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 04:25:59 PM »
I have noticed those little red riders and the other cheaper type pellet guns that you pump from the bottom are actually quite a bit more accurate than any break barrels i have ever bought. also they take steel and copper bbs rather than lead pellets, which are definitely a heck of a lot better if youre gonna be shooting around edible plants, plus that lead dust even touching your skin is no good. Just my 2 cents

These type of BB guns are actually quite dangerous.  They shoot much slower than modern BB guns and therefore tend to ricochet when hitting stuff like a fence or tree.  Steel bb makes this much worse.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 01:20:50 PM »
I have a Crossman Nitro Venom Dusk that's pretty good. It's taken out it's share of rats that invaded my chicken coup and compost pile. The scope was crappy, I could zero it in, put the gun down, pick it up in a day or two and it was feet off. I ended up getting a different scope and now it's great!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 09:12:37 PM »
I have a Ruger "Air Hawk", which comes with its own Ruger designed Air Rifle Scope.  Once zeroed, it is deadly accurate. it is .177 model, and is a bit faster and more accurate than the .22 model.  Very well made...

I just ordered the Air Hawk and a Crosman air pistol I would like to say that you are a good salesman but I think the name Ruger was all that was necessary Lol
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 09:24:33 PM »
Remember NOT to purchase alloy pellets that go faster unless your sure your pellet guns will not send the pellet so fast that it sounds like a gunpowder explosion and startles the neighbors... lol

I recommend heavy slower lead pellets which should be much quieter.

Just looked at amazon again & see a smaller .177 which I consider good for small rodents but not large hopping rodents IMO I like .22 for larger rodents........ Only problem with .177 listed is it is unclear if scope is included for $99.99 price so verify first:::
https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-6110017154-Varmint-Rifle-177/dp/B01APG0SXW/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=ruger+air+hawk&qid=1618968763&sr=8-8
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:48:04 PM by palmcity »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 09:49:42 PM »
Remember NOT to purchase alloy pellets that go faster unless your sure your pellet guns will not send the pellet so fast that it sounds like a gunpowder explosion and startles the neighbors... lol

I recommend heavy slower lead pellets which should be much quieter.

Just looked at amazon again & see a smaller .177 which I consider good for small rodents but not large hopping rodents IMO.. Only problem is it is unclear if scope is included for $99.99 price so verify first:::
https://www.amazon.com/Gamo-6110017154-Varmint-Rifle-177/dp/B01APG0SXW/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=ruger+air+hawk&qid=1618968763&sr=8-8

Will this work for squirrels 177 could change order if need be 22

Got home from work today and the squirrel was on my fence heckling me not more than 20 feet away
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:57:04 PM by bovine421 »

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 10:24:45 PM »
From what I have read, you are more likely to get humane kills with the .22.  With the.177 there is a higher chance of missing vitals and not have a big enough hole to bleed out leaving the animal to slowly die over several days. I went with the.22 and took it to the range to make sure I can hit them in the head reliably.

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2021, 03:35:25 AM »
I like Benjamin 392 pump 0.22 cal air rifle.  It's great accuracy.  4-5 pumps is all I need to kill squirrels at 25 yards out. Not loud either.  It has opened sight, no needs scope.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:38:09 AM by Lovetoplant »

345 desoto

• Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2021, 07:28:40 AM »
Regarding the .177 stopping/kill power....I have dropped woodchucks, crows, and squirrels at 25 yards with the Air Hawk w/.177 lead pellets.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2021, 11:16:07 AM »
Regarding the .177 stopping/kill power....I have dropped woodchucks, crows, and squirrels at 25 yards with the Air Hawk w/.177 lead pellets.

WOAH MAN thats ILLEGAL BRO SQUIRREL LIVES MATTER  >:( >:(

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 11:22:14 AM »

These type of BB guns are actually quite dangerous.  They shoot much slower than modern BB guns and therefore tend to ricochet when hitting stuff like a fence or tree.  Steel bb makes this much worse.

Okay then get a higher FPS bb rifle. I avoid lead pellets, stupid to be shooting lead around a garden of edibles?

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2021, 01:09:51 PM »
I avoid lead pellets, stupid to be shooting lead around a garden of edibles?

If unable to hit the broad side of a barn, that person should never ever be shooting a pellet gun. They should be able to hit what they are shooting at....

If one does not know how to wash their hands with soap & water, they should be taught and if they have the ability to learn, they would NOT be stupid...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:46:45 PM by palmcity »

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 07:10:50 PM »

You absolutely can kill those things with a .177 and probably large animals as well, especially if you’re a good shot. The recommendation for .22 is by people who frequently hunt squirrels and gun manufacturers because it reduces the chances of non humane kills. The guns usually cost about the same so if you are going to buy a gun and don’t already have one, I’d go with the.22

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 11:26:53 AM »
Amazon delivered the Air Hawk last night. Over the weekend or I will try to use the fixed iron sights with a Target. I have a feeling with most of my shots will be within fairly close range and I don't want to get lost in the scope. I may try to find  elevated raised scope mounts that you can still use your iron sights and 4 long range the scope.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 11:52:06 AM »
Do you have any recommendations for an air pistol that is fairly accurate. Most of my shots are going to be within fairly close range. My issue right now is with a bait robber Blue Jay. Keep taking my bait out of my live trap. I made the mistake of turning him loose instead of giving him a swimming lesson. Now he steals my bait.He turns around with his backside and dirties the trigger pan. My wife said she saw him schooling another blue jay on how to be a bait Robber. As Rodney Dangerfield would say no gratitude or respect! I can't believe they are such  dirty bird. Lol
I would appreciate you not killing protected scrub jays.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 12:13:12 PM »

Pretty obvious not protected Blue Jay does not not not equal protected Scrub Jay

Here's a nice picture of Both with one click...
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Florida_Scrub-Jay/species-compare/#:~:text=Blue%20Jays%20have%20a%20crest,%2Dwinged%20Florida%20Scrub%2DJay.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 12:27:43 PM »

Pretty obvious not protected Blue Jay does not not not equal protected Scrub Jay

Here's a nice picture of Both with one click...
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Florida_Scrub-Jay/species-compare/#:~:text=Blue%20Jays%20have%20a%20crest,%2Dwinged%20Florida%20Scrub%2DJay.

Obvious to you, not to me. Glad I was mistaken.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 12:49:57 PM »
I have kind of given up on the live trap for now until I can think of or ask of another bait that the Blue Jays will not Steal. I was thinking of taking a needle and thread and going through three or four peanuts then tying them to the bottom of the Trap or trying maybe hole shelled pecans. Blue Jays don't have any redeeming qualities with their bully boy behavior and destroying other eggs 2 trick other varieties of birds to sit and hatch their eggs. It would be bad bird Karma to harm one and since I am a bird photographer I chose to turn him loose. We actually sit at our kitchen table and observe Blue Jays doing that to the Mockingbirds in our Bougainvillea bush.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
The good news is birds have very little body mass and are nothing like the bigger rodents and even smaller rats in the amount of stink they generate prior to ants, fly larvae, or natural decomposition taking its course.

I don't smell the small birds when they fall in the bushes and never hunt for them. So my advice is let them be when they fall unless visible in the yard.

If visible in the yard, I pick the birds up and send them to the landfill but usually just let them be hidden in the bushes if that's where they land as no stink can be perceived by me.

Rats & bigger size rodents must be removed or else endure about a week and 1/2 of stink before the maggots churn them into compost.