Author Topic: Cal Poly Pomona Nursery - Subtropicals and Misc.  (Read 1325 times)

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
Cal Poly Pomona Nursery - Subtropicals and Misc.
« on: May 10, 2021, 03:51:32 PM »
For those Southland TFF members - Last fall, when I was searching online for Cherimoya sellers in and around LA, I stumbled upon a link for Cal Poly Pomona's nursery sales program. I'd forgotten all about it until a friend from my hometown down that way happened to mention that he was checking out their Dragonfruit offerings recently. Their Cherimoya listings last year included many reliable favorites - Pierce, Fino, El Bumpo etc. 

Their pricing seems very reasonable, and their site gives a schedule of upcoming availibility.
Anyway, I thought it might be a good off the beaten path option for people more accustomed to established, more expensive retailers like Mimosa, Champa, etc.

Chris

https://www.calpolypomonanursery.com/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 03:58:14 PM by Pedroboy »

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
Re: Cal Poly Pomona Nursery - Subtropicals and Misc.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:09:34 PM »
Yeah, I bought my Nata cherimoya from them. As of yesterday they have two types of coffee, a couple dragonfruit plants and that's it for subtropicals. Plenty of stone fruit, grapes, poms, I forget what else for deciduous fruit. They do ship small plants within California.
- Val

Pedroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:57:35 PM »
Ah, sorry to hear that. I confess that I saw their main catalog page for Papayas but didn't go thru and click on any of the half dozen or so listed to confirm their current availibility.

What size Nata did they sell you? A Good deal?

My only gripe - they start their Annona sales a little later than most of us up here would prefer. It'd be nice to have a few more months of heat to push them along...

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 10:28:58 PM »
Yep, no papayas right now. It's a great nursery but their inventory is tight this year just like everyone. Normally they have about 9000 varieties of pepper and tomato and it was down to slim pickings. The Nata was 5 gal, nice looking tree, and they had quite a few other varieties too. Don't remember the cost but it was reasonable and they gave a discount to anyone attending the annual CRFG meeting.
- Val

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 12:46:53 AM »
Chris,
Thanks for sharing the nursery information.  I ended up purchasing some dragon fruit for curb side pickup later this week.  The Cal Poly Nursery is just a 20 minute drive from my home.
Cheers
Tony

Pedroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 02:05:44 AM »
Hey Tony,
Great to hear the timing worked out for you. I always seem to devote a lot of my visits down there to
No. County SD growers, but I'll definitely make time for a detour in August when they stock up on their Annonas.

Cheers,
Chris

Pau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 03:24:04 AM »
Thanks for sharing their website. Just ordered some drsgon fruit plants from them. Price is reasonable, shipping is by weight.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 11:29:35 AM »
Their dragon fruit are tiny. The smallest of cuttings! For that price, you can get healthy large cuttings that will fruit in the same year. Plus, because they are grown in a greenhouse, it'll take time for full acclimation. I'm sure a lot of people have killed their vines due to limited knowledge on sun and humidity acclimation practice.

Mftek

• Socal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 11:05:47 PM »
Chris,
Thanks for sharing the nursery information.  I ended up purchasing some dragon fruit for curb side pickup later this week.  The Cal Poly Nursery is just a 20 minute drive from my home.
Cheers
Tony
Your pretty close to me. If you are looking for anymore Dragonfruit let me know. Maybe we can trade :)

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »
Their dragon fruit are tiny. The smallest of cuttings! For that price, you can get healthy large cuttings that will fruit in the same year. Plus, because they are grown in a greenhouse, it'll take time for full acclimation. I'm sure a lot of people have killed their vines due to limited knowledge on sun and humidity acclimation practice.

John, you are correct the cuttings are small but I knew that when I purchased from the Cal Poly Pomona Nursery.  The purchase goes to help the university students so the price is not an issue.  I picked up my DF and they appeared healthy (see photo below...new growth on all three).  All had good root growth.  Two were root bound so i repotted into larger pots.  I like that the nursery provided written instructions on Dragon Fruit Plant care and addressing the fact that the plants were grown in a greenhouse and need to be acclimated to full sun over a three week period or more. 

With their current size, I have a year or two to find a permanent locations for them.