Author Topic: Black dragonfruit  (Read 1902 times)

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
Black dragonfruit
« on: June 19, 2021, 05:37:03 AM »
Just out of curiosity, is anyone in the US growing the ‘Black’ dragonfruit? I’ve got growers from the US looking for cuttings.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Black dragonfruit
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 12:21:56 PM »
i have a couple plants.  no cuttings at the moment.
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »
i have a couple plants.  no cuttings at the moment.

of course you do, lol!

is the flavor there?

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »
I have a cutting I could spare. Original is from Spaugh and doing well. Pm if interested.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »
i havent tried it yet have had it a year or so and just put a couple plants in the ground this week.  So it will be a while before the verdict on taste is out.
Brad Spaugh

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 06:39:54 AM »
i havent tried it yet have had it a year or so and just put a couple plants in the ground this week.  So it will be a while before the verdict on taste is out.

I’m not sure why it’s become such a sought after variety, maybe because it’s fairly new and different.
It’s not that great unfortunately.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 07:03:41 AM »
Anyone growing the organ pipe cactus for fruit? It's supposedly better than a dragon fruit and looks just about the same. I'm sure I'm pushing it has anyone grown these from cuttings and how long for a cutting to mature into a fruiting plant?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 07:54:38 AM »

I’m not sure why it’s become such a sought after variety, maybe because it’s fairly new and different.
It’s not that great unfortunately.

Might be due to the dark pigments, which are associated with phytochemicals, flavonoids, and stuff like that. Might even be advantageous to have low sugar content, especially for those with diabetes.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 01:08:34 PM »
The dragonfruit craze is being fueled by first time quarantine gardeners.  Social media group think and false scarcity are driving the demand for this stuff.  Its actually comical.  Some of the people I talk to on facebook act like straight up drug addicts begging for certain plant material.   :o
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 01:10:10 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »
Anyone growing the organ pipe cactus for fruit? It's supposedly better than a dragon fruit and looks just about the same. I'm sure I'm pushing it has anyone grown these from cuttings and how long for a cutting to mature into a fruiting plant?

I grow Peruvian Apple Cactus  (Cereus Peruvianus).  It's somewhat similar to dragonfruit.  What I like about it, it is a columnar grower.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 01:47:56 PM »
The dragonfruit craze is being fueled by first time quarantine gardeners.  Social media group think and false scarcity are driving the demand for this stuff.  Its actually comical.  Some of the people I talk to on facebook act like straight up drug addicts begging for certain plant material.   :o

Yeah, the plants that do well indoors have gone up quite a bit. I wanted to get a peperomia maculosa pre covid was eying ebay listings small plants around $40, now forget it +$100.

The good thing about this is will get many people reconnected to nature and growing food again.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 09:30:45 PM »

I have a small one growing now... not sure how long they take to fruit

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 04:20:48 AM »

Yeah, the plants that do well indoors have gone up quite a bit. I wanted to get a peperomia maculosa pre covid was eying ebay listings small plants around $40, now forget it +$100.

The good thing about this is will get many people reconnected to nature and growing food again.

There is both a higher demand for fruiting plants and a shortage of nursery stock. So, it is no surprise that plant prices are going up right now. They will probably level off or go down a little in the next few years, assuming inflation does not become an issue. The current situation puts people who actually have plants in the catbird seat. I have gotten decent (but not crazy) money auctioning some of my extra seedlings on eBay, probably because people cannot find them anywhere else. It is a double-edged sword, though, since I am loathe to add more to my plant collection at the current prices.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 08:53:10 AM »
So the black dragon is real and not a pigment of someone's imagination? Are there pics and gave forum members tried it? Desert King used to get rave reviews until it spread around a bit and now there is plenty of trash talk about it.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 04:32:14 AM »
It’s definitely real, but I’m not sure why someone decided to call it Black. The skin is more purple in colour. These are pics from my own plant that are occasionally used by other growers around the world. As a dragonfruit variety, it’s below average.

MorroBay

• Morro Bay CA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2021, 07:32:54 PM »
I got some rooting right now.  We’ll see how it is.  Anyone know if it’s self fertile or have any other tidbits of info.

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2021, 11:55:40 PM »
I got some rooting right now.  We’ll see how it is.  Anyone know if it’s self fertile or have any other tidbits of info.
Self sterile.

Farmerchris

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 07:54:39 PM »
Hi, new here to this forum.  I've been growing dragon fruit for a while now.  To my understanding, there are two different kinds of "Black" dragon fruits.  One is called "Black Dragon Fruit" the other that I'm aware of is called "Black Afrikanis" ... however, there's very little information available regarding either. 

From what I gather, the Black Afrikanis is a cross of the Selenicereus Coniflorus & H. Ocamponis.  It is deep purple skin & flesh.  Has some sharp spines on the skin that requires them to be removed with a knife or something pretty sturdy (i.e. cannot be brushed away as in the E. Palora).   The size of the fruit is smallish similar to the size of a Sugar Dragon, with firm flesh and a rosewater flavor. 

My question is ... how is the 'Black Dragon Fruit' differ from the 'Black Afrikanis'??