Author Topic: Unknown Cherimoya Disease  (Read 634 times)

Corvid

• United States, California, Santa Rosa
    • View Profile
Unknown Cherimoya Disease
« on: June 28, 2021, 12:37:05 PM »
Hi team,

So immediately after spring bud break, I noticed one of my five mature cherimoya trees displaying some signs of disease. New buds were deformed, and covered in black spots. Instead of each node giving rise to a single new branch, many deformed branches seemed to form instead. After a few weeks, I was able to thin these deformed branches to encourage better growth. The leaves on these branches were curled, covered in black spots, and deformed overall. After a few more weeks, I noticed the newer growth began to revert back to a healthy shape, size, and the black spots seemed to vanish. It was as if the tree had beat the pathogen. Now, all that’s left is some gnarly fascination on some branches and flowers. However, it seems that the tree is also growing out of this.

My guess is that this is a pathogen, and not an abiotic issue, due to the fact that it was the only tree out of five that has this issue. All trees are from the same stock, and are kept within 6 ft of each other. Trees were pruned in the winter, and I always sterilize my pruners. Trees are thriving in large ceramic pots, and cultural and watering practices are consistent. I live in Santa Rosa, Ca (Zone 10 A). Has anyone seen this before? This one has me stumped! As always, thanks so much for the help!   ;D :o

Ps: Please ignore the awful suckers! This is an older photo and they’ve since been removed.  :P

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 12:44:34 PM by Corvid »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Cherimoya Disease
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 05:52:43 AM »
I've found cherimoya's to be very disease resistant here for m.  This could be some kind of deficiency , but I have never had such marking on mine so I dunno....
However you plants look fine to me, healthy and whatever it is at this point it seems to not be a big problem.
Is this a flower bud in the last photo ??

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 06:38:45 AM »
Maybe sun burn? I have the same issue

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 07:09:59 AM »
Maybe sun burn? I have the same issue
I have some small seedlings, which have some sunburn to them and the damage is a dead tissue surrounded by an area of yellowish leaf tissue. Doesnt sunburn present itself generally as a whole damaged spot ,and not as small separate spots ??

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 04:41:35 PM »
It looks pretty minor from here.  I would just ignore it.  The trees are probably not 100% happy because they are in pots.  The double branching thing is normal, lots of cherimoya variety do that. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk