Author Topic: Chok Anon mango  (Read 2154 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Chok Anon mango
« on: June 28, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »
Hello folks, how does the Chok Anon mango taste compares to lemon merengue or lemon zest?
Does it taste like orange sherbet or orange essence?  Never tasted these two.

Sulcata Grove rated a 9 out 10!

The tree is medium growth and decease resistant, wonder why it is not highly talked about it.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Chok Anon mango
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 03:16:29 PM »
Vary average mild Thai mango.  Best described as similar to a smaller version of a NDM (although not really sure its even as good as a NDM...which doesn't say much for it).
- Rob

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 03:21:46 PM »
I agree with Rob, it’s ok.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 04:04:28 PM »
It has a honey citrus flavor to it, thanks for you input.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 04:32:58 PM »
It has a honey citrus flavor to it, thanks for you input.

Would not say it has any citrus component.   Just that bland to mild Thai NDM profile (I dont mean the taste when eating a NDM underripe) with a general (honey) sweetness.  BKM is better than both but still in that same average blah Thai mango.
- Rob

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 06:42:50 PM »
I completely disagree on the description of Chok Anon by Rob.
My tree makes excellent fruit and it does have that citrussy taste described in the video.
A good well ripened Chok Anon will hold its own with many of the top tiers raved about on the forum, at least in my assessment.

Wish you could taste one and see if it is to your likening.

Taste is relative and what works for you or me may not work for others.  I know a couple of people who will take a good Tommy Atkins (and the mango snubs gasp...) over some of the top tiers.  A friend told me once, if I want a coconut I will get a coconut, why would I want a mango that taste like a coconut when I can get a mango that taste like a mango.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 07:14:43 PM »
I never had one that has had a citrus component.
Maybe a slight Indochinese not, but i have only had it when it was fully ripe.

I prefer it to NDM still don't care for it enough to plant it.
I do like the firmer texture though

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 08:18:57 PM »
I really like the chok anon also. It is much better then Nam Doc Mai
in my opinion. I don't taste citrus though. It's really amazing how people
describe mango flavors
For me the only negative about the chok anon is the small size.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 08:24:28 PM »
This variety seems to be confused with sam rru du at times the true 3 seasons mango held in such high esteem.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 08:25:57 PM »
As charlie Browns teacher says blah blah blah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_BU5hR9gXE

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 08:40:01 PM »
I have an original choc anoc brought from Thailand personally from a reputable nurseryman.
It's good taste, fruits gets yellow, they are not very sweet as NDM. What I like about this mango that it flowers all the time and get a crop in winter.
My tree is in 10 gal container and manged to get 8 fruits.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 08:53:08 PM »
My tree makes excellent fruit and it does have that citrussy taste described in the video.
A good well ripened Chok Anon will hold its own with many of the top tiers raved about on the forum, at least in my assessment.

Taste is relative and what works for you or me may not work for others.  I know a couple of people who will take a good Tommy Atkins (and the mango snubs gasp...) over some of the top tiers.  A friend told me once, if I want a coconut I will get a coconut, why would I want a mango that taste like a coconut when I can get a mango that taste like a mango.

You may want to remove some of the "better" varieties and plant some other top tier varieties like Diamond, Tommy Atkins, Turpentine,  etc.
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 10:28:48 PM »

You may want to remove some of the "better" varieties and plant some other top tier varieties like Diamond, Tommy Atkins, Turpentine,  etc.
Why would I when I have the very best of all, Carrie!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2021, 10:34:41 PM »

There it is
- Rob

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 11:40:27 PM »

There it is
Played like a fiddle

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 09:12:08 AM »
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 10:40:19 AM »
Carrie always carries the day!  Nicely done.  ;)

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 01:08:57 PM »
I had the tree for at least 10 years. I'm a patient person and gave the tree a chance to flourish in Florida condition. I had few fruits once or maybe twice in winter, flovor of which was below average. The fruits in the season don't impute any top-tier mango  or even close to that in my consideration. It can be compared with other regular Thai sweet varieties like NDM, Pim Sen Mun, BKM, Sia Siam, Keow Savoy with an average Thai honey/floral flavor lacking any acid component. 
I even tried miracle mango in Thailand, unfortunately it didn't dazzle me in any ways. If I had to rate this variety, It will not be in my top 100.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 01:56:19 PM »
I had the tree for at least 10 years. I'm a patient person and gave the tree a chance to flourish in Florida condition. I had few fruits once or maybe twice in winter, flovor of which was below average. The fruits in the season don't impute any top-tier mango  or even close to that in my consideration. It can be compared with other regular Thai sweet varieties like NDM, Pim Sen Mun, BKM, Sia Siam, Keow Savoy with an average Thai honey/floral flavor lacking any acid component. 
I even tried miracle mango in Thailand, unfortunately it didn't dazzle me in any ways. If I had to rate this variety, It will not be in my top 100.

Thank you!
- Rob

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 07:27:14 AM »
I like the chok anon eaten on the green side, left to fully ripen, my tree can give a funky aroma and taste.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 07:46:39 AM »
Pim sen mun and keow sawoy are primarily green eating mangoes and are alright ripe. I have a good sized keow sawy. NDM is not really treasured in Thailand but common and cheap as a standard. Ok Rung, Maha chanok and Tong Dam are probably more prized as fresh fruit of quality.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 07:13:48 AM »
I have one Choc Anon and it pumps out good clusters very productive and consistent. People who like mild mango flavors like it. While I enjoy intense flavor like Carrie I also like the switch of a mild one. One thing I have noticed is that they are able to be held on the tree and drop without injury.

My Choc Anon currently has one branch with pea size for a small out of season crop. Usually only a section of the tree makes an out of season crop.

A local farm was bought which has a number of Choc Anon and we were discussing them this week. Usually they find they get too many fruit in season and would prefer to get it out of season. The owner would like to know if there may be cultural practices to induce an out of season flowering, even on the whole trees.

Does anyone know of any ways here in Florida to force the out of season bloom? 

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2021, 11:44:58 AM »
I have one Choc Anon and it pumps out good clusters very productive and consistent. People who like mild mango flavors like it. While I enjoy intense flavor like Carrie I also like the switch of a mild one. One thing I have noticed is that they are able to be held on the tree and drop without injury.

My Choc Anon currently has one branch with pea size for a small out of season crop. Usually only a section of the tree makes an out of season crop.

A local farm was bought which has a number of Choc Anon and we were discussing them this week. Usually they find they get too many fruit in season and would prefer to get it out of season. The owner would like to know if there may be cultural practices to induce an out of season flowering, even on the whole trees.

Does anyone know of any ways here in Florida to force the out of season bloom?

Lot of the Grove Owners in India, South Africa and China use the hormone
Gibberellin.