Author Topic: Thai mango recommendations  (Read 1872 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Thai mango recommendations
« on: June 28, 2021, 08:44:55 PM »
The other day my mother-in-law made me a glass of green mango juice. It was surprisingly very good. So now I'm thinking I should add a Thai mango for the purpose of making green mango juice and eating green but is still quite good being fully ripe. I have only had one Thai mango last year Keow Savoy and Pim Sen Mun this year. Out of the two I think I prefer Keow Savoy. Which Thai variety do you prefer and there much variation or difference between varieties?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 08:50:50 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Thai mango recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 10:45:43 PM »
Nam Doc Mai is good green and I like it ripe as well. But, I eat them "under ripe" where you get the chalky taste. Philippine has more "candy" flavor to it but is not really that sweet--at least the one I had. It has the least flavor in my opinion. The Okrungs that I have eaten were very good with a flavor that reminded me of sweet tart candies. I believe at one time Okrung was touted as the sweetest mango in Florida. I imagine that the new Zills have changed that.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 11:45:56 PM »
Of the Thai group, in addition to NDM, some of the better options to eat green are Mahachanok, Brahm Kai Meu, Keow Savoy and Pim Sen Mun.

I cant say that Okrung should be eaten anything other than as a ripe dessert mango.  It is amazing when dehydrated.   I may be wrong but I believe it was previously touted as the sweetest mango in the world.
- Rob

Sam

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 07:59:15 AM »
@bovine..... can you share that recipe for the mango juice?

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 08:07:50 AM »
I have one red ivory tree... is on flower for the first time now but it's very small.

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »
Just a few recommendations:

TONG DAM OR BLACK GOLD: One of the best tasting Thai mango tried in Thailand. I don't know if anyone grows it here in USA or taste tested it. High Brix, doesn't have floral/honey characteristics like NDM.

OKRONG OR OKRONG TONG: One of the sweetest of Thai mangos with some complex after taste, few strings near the seed. The cons are its small size and very few strings; nonetheless, would have been a very good cultivar.

PIM SEN MUN: Clean, sweet mango having less floral scent.

BKM : Very sweet, gorgeous deep orange flesh. Little hint of mango flavor with lacking in acidity.

MAHA CHINOK: Gorgeous color and exceptional shape similar to Shwehintha from Burma. lot of people confuse this mango with Banana mango from Thailand. It is way better than NDM. But it is overrated though.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 06:38:28 PM »

TONG DAM OR BLACK GOLD: One of the best tasting Thai mango tried in Thailand. I don't know if anyone grows it here in USA or taste tested it. High Brix, doesn't have floral/honey characteristics like NDM.

OKRONG OR OKRONG TONG: One of the sweetest of Thai mangos with some complex after taste, few strings near the seed. The cons are its small size and very few strings; nonetheless, would have been a very good cultivar.

BKM : Very sweet, gorgeous deep orange flesh. Little hint of mango flavor with lacking in acidity.

MAHA CHINOK: Gorgeous color and exceptional shape similar to Shwehintha from Burma. lot of people confuse this mango with Banana mango from Thailand. It is way better than NDM. But it is overrated though.
Thank you that information is much appreciated.
A couple weeks back while I was on vacation at Deerfield Beach I was hanging out at Truly Tropicals front gate conversing and visiting with people. An elderly Asian couple ask Truly Tropical Scott about the Black Gold mango. Scott was swamped with customers so I fielded that question. I totally did not have an answer that was a new one on me but I did refer them to Tropical Acres farms in West Palm Beach. I showed them all of the Thai mangos Alex has on his website. They were quite happy. If I ever get asked that question again I will have a better answer. Thank you😊
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 08:30:57 PM »
I know Bo is talking green. But as far as ripe goes. PSM (pim seng mun) over NDM any day of the week. For me PSM is more floral and complex than NDM. Bo you should ask about PSM productivity. Mine is spotty. Other members PSM trees might be doing better.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 10:12:47 AM »
Keow Savoy is good tasting when ripe and the tree is very strong against diseases

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 11:58:10 AM »

Thank you that information is much appreciated.
A couple weeks back while I was on vacation at Deerfield Beach I was hanging out at Truly Tropicals front gate conversing and visiting with people. An elderly Asian couple ask Truly Tropical Scott about the Black Gold mango. Scott was swamped with customers so I fielded that question. I totally did not have an answer that was a new one on me but I did refer them to Tropical Acres farms in West Palm Beach. I showed them all of the Thai mangos Alex has on his website. They were quite happy. If I ever get asked that question again I will have a better answer. Thank you😊

You're welcome 8)

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 12:07:45 PM »
I know Bo is talking green. But as far as ripe goes. PSM (pim seng mun) over NDM any day of the week. For me PSM is more floral and complex than NDM. Bo you should ask about PSM productivity. Mine is spotty. Other members PSM trees might be doing better.

Your observation is spot on flavor profile of NDM vs PSM. PSM isn't a vigorous grower. Its been always a moderate producer when I grafted it on one of my KENT limb.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 01:19:38 AM »

Well I took your recommendations and decided to buy this tree Keow Savoy. I will graft Tong Dam Black Gold onto my Malika😊
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 01:25:24 AM by bovine421 »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 05:59:28 AM »

Well I took your recommendations and decided to buy this tree Keow Savoy. I will graft Tong Dam Black Gold onto my Malika😊

All youse mango aficionados with many varieties to extend the season and the exotic Zill tastes.
Those cute and innocent little mango trees grow into large and huge mango trees. They will eventually crowd you (Bo here) out of your house. You will raze your house to make more branching out room for them. Then you will have to pitch a tent to live in under the mango tree shade where you can juice them mangos to your heart's content.

Not a bad idea actually. Florida people have that unique vibe where can thrive on a diet of tuna sashimi, mahi-mahi, Checkers hamburgers drowned in ketchup and sundry mango juices. With the occasional avocado thrown in.  It is a lo-carb thing, Zero gluten too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:30:57 AM by zands »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk