Author Topic: Xie Shan- fruit photos  (Read 13624 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Xie Shan- fruit photos
« on: August 17, 2021, 03:16:19 AM »
Just curious if anyone that is growing Xie Shan has a few photos of their fruits. They may not be ripe yet but I would still like to compare the shape/skin of the green fruits if you can take a photo and post it.

My grafted tree/branches will have some ripe fruits this year and I wanted to know if the Xie Shan fruits grow in clusters like a grape. My fruits seem to be all bunched up and I had to thin out some fruits. All of my grafted branches seem to have the fruits close together and needs to be thinned out.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Xie Shan- fruit photos
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 09:54:59 AM »
Mine might be 2 seasons away from fruiting. It is only 3 feet and really a thin tree at this point. I cannot wait as I've heard great things about its fruit. Right now I have fruiting Miyagawa, Dekopon, Okitsu, Owari, Lee x Nova and another dozen other mandarin varieties.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 10:09:27 AM »
Ok, I was hoping someone in CA had a Xie Shan with fruits now. Mine is still green but I will take a few photos today and posted so others can comment on the green fruits. I just wanted to confirm it's the correct variety and it should be since it's from CCPP (UCR). I didn't think it grew in a cluster. There must be a few source trees for this fruit and the one I have does not look like the photo shown in the citrusvariety data (even though I purchased my scions from them).

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/xieshan.html

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 10:41:19 AM »
In the link is looks like early to mid october is the best time to harvest.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 01:42:24 PM »
I grafted 4 last year, but only one survives
 and it is not doing good.  Still green, but no sign of no grow.  The other 3 showed new grow, but they didn't made it. 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 04:03:02 PM »
Here's some photo of my 1 yr old grafts. The fruits are so heavy for the small branch I need to support it with tape attached to the larger branch.

Ckitto

• USA, CA, Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 12:22:52 AM »
I have three branches grafted two years ago. They look exactly  like yours. Big cluster and I thinned them to 4 or 5 fruits per branch. I am in Hacienda Hts.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 01:23:20 AM »
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to leave most of the fruits on this branch and see how big the fruits get compared to other grafts with just a few fruits. If this was a large tree it would be a pain in the B..tt to thin the fruits every year. I don't need to do this to my large Gold Nugget tree and it has many fruits spread over the branches.

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 11:20:56 AM »
Here's mine; A fairly young tree.  I did no thinning, but the 116F weather in June caused fruit drop on many of my citrus.  I haven't seen the 'grape-cluster' effect, but maybe as the tree gets older.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 05:27:14 PM »
Mine is also holding too many fruits.  My tree is probably a bad example, though, as it has always been rather unhealthy.  I have noticed that the corner of the greenhouse it is planted in often has standing water from poor drainage, I am thinking that is the reason.

Anyway, they look pretty ripe so I picked one.  It is very tasty, but pretty much identical to Tango in my opinion.  Probably not fair to judge a small tree like this.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 05:50:40 PM by brian »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 05:52:21 PM »
First fruits of any cultivar are never an example of the quality of that cultivar.

jb worthless

Ckitto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 07:02:22 PM »

Here is mine, after I thinned down the fruit of course. It had more than 10 fruits on this tiny branch.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 08:01:09 PM »
Brian and Ckitto, both your fruits look similar to mine fruits in that the skin looks smooth and the fruit shape is similar.
But Jim's fruit seems to have a different shape and the skin doesn't look like the thin skin with smooth look to me.

Millet, since you have an older tree, can you tell if your fruits looks like Jim's or like the others with smooth skin and flat?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2021, 11:08:09 PM »
Interesting that you mention that... I was just looking at the UCR page for Xie Shan and the fruit photos there look much different than mine.  Mine is almost paper-thin skin and smooth, while the ones in the UCR photos have thicker and bumpier skin, plus a slight neck.  Where did you guys get yours?  I got mine from Harris Citrus in FL, a couple years ago.

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/xieshan.html

I ate a bunch more from my tree after refrigerating them, they are very good.

Ckitto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2021, 11:20:59 PM »
Mine came from CCPP.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2021, 12:22:02 AM »
I know I got my budwood from CCPP (UCR) multiple orders so that is why I was also curious why their data sheet of the fruit looks different than mine. I do have another small tree that is grafted with the Xie Shan that I purchased from CCPP at a different date and even though the fruits are much smaller (1/2" diameter) it looks a little different.

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2021, 11:12:27 AM »
Mine came from Stan Mackenzie.  I wonder if age of tree and climate can have an effect.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2021, 07:57:07 PM »
I did notice the satsuma fruit shape/skin/size change with tree ages and yields.

In low yield years: get  fewer but big fruits.   The tend to have thick and rough skin.   
In a high yield years:   get a lot but small fruits.   They tend to have thin and smooth skin.
(This is more common in gold nugget tangerine tree.  You can see gold nugget tangerine fruits with very different shape / sinks in CA supermarkets).
In some cases, the  very big fruits are dry inside.   It is often seen for fruits from small/young trees.

My satsuma tree had the fruits with little neck in early years, but not now.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 08:05:57 PM »

Brian,

Will be interested to hear your follow up evaluation of the Xie Shan fruits.

Satsuma fruits change taste during the ripe period.  My Satsuma fruits start to ripe with funny taste in November (but one of my Japanese friends believed it was perfect), then gradually get sweeter.  By end of Dec and Jan, start baggy and drying but not sweeter.

Mine is also holding too many fruits.  My tree is probably a bad example, though, as it has always been rather unhealthy.  I have noticed that the corner of the greenhouse it is planted in often has standing water from poor drainage, I am thinking that is the reason.

Anyway, they look pretty ripe so I picked one.  It is very tasty, but pretty much identical to Tango in my opinion.  Probably not fair to judge a small tree like this.

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2021, 08:43:47 PM »
Im waiting for the xie shan graft to really take off. Seems sluggish on the tree i budded it to. The shiranui i grafted on the same day has fruit and has grown several feet tall. Last i counted it had 18 fruits.

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 10:06:28 PM »
Here are the pictures of my Xie Shan fruit.  I had grafted Xie Shan in March and has only one fruit.  It looks more like jim VH's picture - not sure how representative is it of real Xie Shan fruit given recent graft.  Scions were purchased from CCPP.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 01:12:47 AM »
Malhar, your plant leaves and fruit looks like Jim's. Your tree looks very healthy you must have given it some good food.

I noticed your leaves are also larger and doesn't look identical to my grafts with the smooth skin fruit. I think I have one of my graft that looks like your fruit but my fruit is still to small to tell for sure. I guess once these all ripens we can compare the flavor and taste to see if they are the same fruit.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:29:55 PM by sc4001992 »

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
That is interesting.  Like Malhar, mine is a  regraft from the original Citrange rootstock to a FD rootstock, done mainly to dwarf the tree, since Satsumas here require robust winter protection some years, but also in hopes the FD rootstock would give somewhat earlier ripening, since the original rootstock produced fruit which were large and well colored, but quite sour.  It was done three years ago.  The first year I knocked the fruit off to enhance growth.  Last year one fruit, a bit sour.  This year half a dozen.

But I also wonder about cultivar variance.  I have four producing early ripening Satsumas.  Xie Sahn, LA Early, Early St. Anne and Miho.   The LA Early and Early St. Anne have been in the ground for over a decade.  The first three are bumpy and thick skinned, with that stem end bulge, but Miho is smooth thin skinned.   FWIW, my Changsha, while not a Satsuma, is also smooth thin skinned and early ripening. 

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »
Jim, yes I think there is variation within the cultivar, especially budwood from CCPP. I have seen similar issue with my Thong Dee, Cocktail grapefruit, and Chandler pumello.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 12:47:00 PM by sc4001992 »

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2021, 03:34:36 PM »
Quite inetresting.  My Xie Shan was grafted on Kishu Mandarin interstock when I topworked my Home Depot bought multi-grafted mandarin tree.

My scions were shipped from Northern California (Salinas?).  Did your come from Riverside?