Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Fukushu X PT seed

(1/4) > >>

orangedays:
Here are a couple of images of seed from a Fukushu X PT cross I made this spring.  I peeled the seed coat off to increase the speed of germination.  It's interesting to see the color differences in the embryos. Someone on this forum had indicated there would be a color difference if the PT parent has tan seed and the citrus parent's seed are dark green. I am hoping/guessing the lighter colored embryo's are the crosses and the darker green are the apomictic embryo's.

The is the second batch of seed I prepared this way. Many of the seed from the first batch have germinated eight days later, the shoots are still too small to see if any have trifoliate leaves.

tedburn:
interesting project, good luck for nice seedlings and frosthardy plants , keep us updated  ;)

orangedays:
Thanks Tedburn.  I hope to keep these alive so there is something to tell.  Some of the seedlings are showing the PT origin.  The crosses seem to be growing faster than the clones. I think there will be six crosses in this batch.  Hopefully they will survive and grow this winder and next spring I will bud graft them onto an older citrus to see what comes of them. 

vnomonee:
Very cool, why aren't there more direct poncirus x kumquat crosses?

I'm going to try pt x meiwa, and pt x hindsii when I get them flowering at the same time. I have a poncirus+ and a precocious poncirus, neither have flowered yet. The precocious should flower next spring.

Walt:
They don't have to flower at the same time.  Citrus pollen can be stored for some time,  Keep it cool and dry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version