Author Topic: Mango: Lemon Zest tasted chalky?  (Read 1539 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Mango: Lemon Zest tasted chalky?
« on: September 30, 2021, 05:23:36 PM »
This morning I found a large yellow fruit dropped on ground. It's in the early stage of ripening (I like to eat Maha in this state before the flesh turned to jelly seed state). Cut it up and ate a piece. The texture was kind of chalky, and I remember I had the same taste last year also. Is this chalky texture/taste is part of LZ, or what is the best time to enjoy the best it can offer?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango: Lemon Zest tasted chalky?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 10:36:10 PM »
How was the seed? I usually get more chalky taste on nubbin fruit and also more chalky taste on the stem end. I pick my fruit when they turn mostly yellow/orange, which can happen in as little as a day or two after they’re partially yellow.

After I pick my fruit, I set it on the counter to ripen for a few days depending on temperature before I eat it. LZ isn’t always chalky.

Simon

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 03:23:39 PM »
How was the seed? I usually get more chalky taste on nubbin fruit and also more chalky taste on the stem end. I pick my fruit when they turn mostly yellow/orange, which can happen in as little as a day or two after they’re partially yellow.

After I pick my fruit, I set it on the counter to ripen for a few days depending on temperature before I eat it. LZ isn’t always chalky.

Simon

Simon, the seed is a well developed one. This is a perfect full developed fruit.

That one just turned pale yellow and this is why I did pick it and then it dropped that night. I don't think I will wait for mine to turn yellow/orange as they might drop and damaged. Maybe that one was just too big and fell off under its weight. OK, I will leave it on counter for a few days more before eating, next time.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 08:28:49 AM »
Early picked LZ can be chalky, but I don't recall it being much of an issue like it can be with Sweet Tart.

Had a LZ over the summer that was perfect. The flesh around the seed even had some coconut flavor to it. Amazing. This mango has a few tricks up its sleeve. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 09:20:47 AM »
The parent of LZ, PPK/LM, occasionally tastes chalky when it's picked green and allowed to ripen off the tree.  But I don't find it objectionable.
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 09:06:57 AM »
I find the chalky taste incredible.  It’s a lottery pick winner.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »
Even the couple chalky Lemon Zests I’ve had were still unbelievable mangoes for me, but I believe those were picked too early judging by ripening time. Many experts have told me the chalkiness comes from being picked too early.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 02:36:38 PM »
So last night I finally ate a large LZ ripen properly -- not wrinkled skin but fully turned yellow outside and same as inside with same color. It tasted very good with intense sweet and tart, but the tart is a little less than Sweet-tart mango, no chalky taste at all and firm flesh (I wish Peach Cobbler has this firm flesh). A lot of flesh to seed ratio. All of the early flowers got PM and I cut them all off in mid April and these last flowers -- end of April early May) gave me about 7 large fruits this years.

LZ tasted much better than Edward grown in my yard.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 02:54:46 PM »
So last night I finally ate a large LZ ripen properly -- not wrinkled skin but fully turned yellow outside and same as inside with same color. It tasted very good with intense sweet and tart, but the tart is a little less than Sweet-tart mango, no chalky taste at all and firm flesh (I wish Peach Cobbler has this firm flesh). A lot of flesh to seed ratio. All of the early flowers got PM and I cut them all off in mid April and these last flowers -- end of April early May) gave me about 7 large fruits this years.

LZ tasted much better than Edward grown in my yard.

Brian, next year you probably could trade LZ fruit with Vinay.
He gave me one picked ripe from his tree. I waited 3 days before I cut it open. It does have lemon zest smell when I cut it, but strangely not when I eat it.
The fruit is beautiful, skin is completely yellow, the flesh is more orange color. No chalkiness, no resin or any other complexity to me
Fiberless, silky, but it is sweet beyond words. No tartness at all. I can only ate a few pieces because the sweetness is nauseating to me. My 2 years old really liked it and cleaned it up.
I prefer Sweet Tart for more balance flavor. I love super sweet fruit, like sapodilla and white sapote, but this one tasted like a pure sugar to me.I have a sweet tart tree already and considering to get a lemon zest tree, but after the experience I will just graft one branch.
It is good, but way too sweet for me.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:03:01 PM by palingkecil »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 04:20:22 PM »
Ya'll are getting LZ's in November in CA!?!? Trying not to hate you right now

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 04:06:27 PM »
He gave me one picked ripe from his tree. I waited 3 days before I cut it open. It does have lemon zest smell when I cut it, but strangely not when I eat it.
The fruit is beautiful, skin is completely yellow, the flesh is more orange color. No chalkiness, no resin or any other complexity to me
Fiberless, silky, but it is sweet beyond words. No tartness at all. I can only ate a few pieces because the sweetness is nauseating to me. My 2 years old really liked it and cleaned it up.
I prefer Sweet Tart for more balance flavor. I love super sweet fruit, like sapodilla and white sapote, but this one tasted like a pure sugar to me.I have a sweet tart tree already and considering to get a lemon zest tree, but after the experience I will just graft one branch.
It is good, but way too sweet for me.

For LZ, 3 days after picked from tree should not be over-ripen, because LZ would drop from tree when it just starts to soften, not like Peach Cobbler that hang on the tree much longer. How soft was it when he gave you? From your description, I still think you ate a too ripen fruit, as mine was just perfect balance with acidity and sweet (although the Sweet Tart has stronger tart). Next time eat it 2 days earlier.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 04:09:28 PM »
I will eat one tonight, and there are 2 more big fruits on the tree :)
The last mangoes will always be the Lancetilla which ends the season in December (taste just like a giant Valencia Pride, which is just OK when one has no other mangoes to eat).

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 04:27:21 PM »
I will eat one tonight, and there are 2 more big fruits on the tree :)
The last mangoes will always be the Lancetilla which ends the season in December (taste just like a giant Valencia Pride, which is just OK when one has no other mangoes to eat).

... and he bubs it in ... :)
Enjoy your later season.  We are already looking forward to 2022 mango season.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk