Author Topic: Practicing grafting as a newbie (aka gittin gud graftage)  (Read 1379 times)

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Practicing grafting as a newbie (aka gittin gud graftage)
« on: October 01, 2021, 05:40:56 PM »
I have NO prior experience with grafting.

What would be a low cost way to practice with the skill? Any ideas for plant sources (scions & rootstock) to start with or cheaper ways to get practice in?

I don't want to break the bank on a nice piece of wood that'd I have no clue how to graft  :o :P

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Practicing grafting as a newbie (aka gittin gud graftage)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 05:57:49 PM »
you should start by looking up "grafting fruit trees" on youtube and watch as many as you can to learn the basic.
Then try a few on anything you can spare.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 06:30:37 PM »
you should start by looking up "grafting fruit trees" on youtube and watch as many as you can to learn the basic.
Then try a few on anything you can spare.
I have, I am thankful to live in the age of the internet with so many resources.

My real concern is taking it from the theory stage to application (cost effectively) and also get some anecdotes about what plants others grafted or recommend grafting first
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 02:15:40 AM by Pandan »

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 07:28:08 PM »
Try Apples and Cherrys in Feb-March in dormancy. They are the easiest to graft successfully with the highest take rates. Cleft grafts work well.

Johnny

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 01:16:41 AM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:34:49 AM by sc4001992 »

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 12:24:37 PM »
Do you have any trees right now? You can always practice on any pruning you need to do. I think it's important to know how to make your cuts with the tool you are using (I use a razorblade). Others chimed in on what was easy for them. Cherimoya and citrus was easy for me.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 01:52:09 PM »
Do you have any trees right now? You can always practice on any pruning you need to do. I think it's important to know how to make your cuts with the tool you are using (I use a razorblade). Others chimed in on what was easy for them. Cherimoya and citrus was easy for me.

Not really at the moment but I do have some citrus saplings that I could try to prune & exchange between when they're a bit bigger/ leafier !

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 11:31:01 PM »

Not really at the moment but I do have some citrus saplings that I could try to prune & exchange between when they're a bit bigger/ leafier !

I'm sure you're going to find it's quite easy.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 09:17:35 AM »
Hi Pandan, when I give my grafting classes for beginners I bring in a bunch of grape vines (only because I have a lot) and any other branches or vines of any thing I have, my thought process is that if you can learn to make smooth clean cuts with the tools you have the rest of it is easy, just practice your cutting on anything you have first until you get comfortable then you can move on to some real grafting

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 01:44:41 PM »
Hi Pandan, when I give my grafting classes for beginners I bring in a bunch of grape vines (only because I have a lot) and any other branches or vines of any thing I have, my thought process is that if you can learn to make smooth clean cuts with the tools you have the rest of it is easy, just practice your cutting on anything you have first until you get comfortable then you can move on to some real grafting
Good advice! Maybe i'll ask around for cuttings although one issue is I don't currently know any other 'woody' gardeners in my area.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 10:00:01 AM »
I agree, best next step is to practice your cuts on anything you were going to prune anyway.  Try hard wood soft wood, whatever but get into the habit of making smooth cuts and get used to your knife or blade.
It looks so easy on the videos and is eventually easy but you try your first few cuts and you realize it takes some practice.

Good luck, call when you need an intervention or let us know when you want to start your 12 steps.  Because like many of us, you will be addicted to grafting.  .. and you know you can stop anytime you want ... ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk