Author Topic: Orange Sherbet productivity issues: cross pollination and Boron  (Read 3133 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Orange Sherbet productivity issues: cross pollination and Boron
« on: October 06, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »
Three years ago, a mango grove owner called me to look at his grove, much of which was producing poorly.  He was especially disappointed in a block of several rows of Orange Sherbit, in the ground several years, each tree over 15-feet tall and wide, and healthy looking.  Most OS had produced nothing, and the remaining OS, almost nothing.

When they mentioned that they had been spraying insecticide to kill Sri Lanka Weevils, I recommended that they stop.  Two reasons:  the weevils were causing only minor cosmetic damage, and the insecticide was killing off pollinators (especially flies).

I also recommended fertilizers and nutritional and fungicidal sprays to use.

In 2020, production reportedly (I didn't visit in season) increased on the other varieties, but not a bit on Orange Sherbet.  Same this year.

In 2015 I was hired for just that Summer, to pick the experimental mango grove of Zill High Performance Plants.  I picked the original Orange Sherbet tree, and also a very large Orange Sherbet produced by top-work grafting on an old tree.  Both were highly productive.  They were surrounded by hundreds of other mango varieties.

I have heard reports of other individual, productive Orange Sherbet trees, surrounded by other varieties.  At the grove with a problem, there ARE other varieties in the same field, but....

At this year's "Mango Summit", Dr. Alan Chambers, of the Tropical Research and Extension Center (TREC) in Homestead, reported on genetic research done on the 200 plus varieties of mango at that research station.  When he studied the genetics of many seeds from those trees, he found that many varieties had produced large numbers of selfs, while others had produced almost no selfs, instead favoring outcrosses.  Some of these, that favored pollen other than their own, were also picky about which other variety of pollen that was accepted.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:46:05 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
Re: Orange Sherbet productivity issues: cross pollination and Boron
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 12:38:50 PM »
Also at the Mango Summit, and elsewhere, I heard indications that we need to bump up target amounts of Boron (carefully!  Toxicity is worse than deficiency.)  Not only will good Boron nutrition prevent most internal defects of mango pulp, but it can be the difference between non-production and good production.

So I would like to hear which varieties of mango are growing within about 300 feet of your Orange Sherbet tree, and whether or not it has produced well.
[Insects can take pollen over half a mile, but that is less often.]

I would also like to hear about the Boron content of your fast-release or slow-release granular fertilizers, and of your nutritional sprays and drenches.

Zinc levels are also important to fruit set.

Also relevant would be lab results for leaf tissue of Orange Sherbet, or of soil tests.

I will post more details as I find them.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:47:18 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 12:49:41 PM »
Interesting info Har, thanks!

I have 2 orange sherbets, on opposite ends of a fence line, with guava, coco cream, ndm4, and kesar in between, with m4, sweet tart, glenn, and sugar loaf nearby.

One OS was put in ground about a year ago, and is over 8 feet tall. The other was from a graft on the ndm4, that has become a nice little tree in its own right, but has not flowered yet.

Hitting both with boron.

Vegetative growth looks great, with no problems noted and good growth.

Will report on flowering, productivity, and hopefully fruit quality this coming season.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 01:19:18 PM »
My tree is around 6ft tall and 8ft wide growing in the shade of a large peach cobbler mango. It produced 25+ fruits this year. I am using Helena 8-2-12.

My soil analysis is here:
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=22559.msg376291#msg376291

Last time I ordered fertilizer, I was told the mix you recommended is no longer available and they switched me to this, which has more boron:

Click on my profile to see the other varieties I have planted.

Brandon

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 01:31:16 PM »
At the grove I visited in 2019, the same field that has the rows of Orange Sherbet, also has Lemon Zest (moderately productive in 2019), Pram Kai Mea (good production each year), and Him Sagar (younger trees, with low production).

The leaf analysis test, June 2019, done by Waters Agricultural Laboratories, for this field mixed these varieties together in the same sample.  Boron was at 85 ppm (parts per million) which supposedly is good.  The other fields were lower.  The soil from this field was not tested; soil from other fields tested on same farm ranged from 1.1 to 1.4 lbs/acre.

Leaf analysis Zinc was at 15 ppm, which is low.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 03:22:28 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 01:31:50 PM »
Hey Har,

Is the genetic research published in a scientific journal? Where can I find this research to read?

Thanks,

Joe

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 03:16:55 PM »
Brandon,

Thank you.  That new Promate Premium 8-2-12 does look good, with 0.31 Boron.

So, to summarize, your highly productive Orange Sherbet is nearest a large Peach Cobbler mango tree, within a collection of about 40 mango varieties.
The soil test, done by Spectrum Analytics, shows Boron at 1.3 m3-ppm (that lab recommends 1.7-2.6 m3-ppm), and Zinc at 18 (they recommend 4-11).

Different labs use different tests, different calibration soils, and different written measurements--- hard to compare.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »
Joe,

Proceedings of the Florida State Horticultural Society for 2021.  I don't know if it is out yet--- I didn't sign up for it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:49:14 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 05:22:39 PM »
A friend near me has Sweet Tart, Ugly Betty, Ice Cream, Valencia Pride, and Jakarta, and the neighbors have huge Haden Seedlings,  About three years ago, an Orange Sherbet was added near the Ice Cream mango, and is now almost 5-feet tall and wide, and produced half-a-dozen fruits this year.

Not tested for Boron or Zinc.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 02:50:32 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 06:08:59 PM »
Brandon,

Thank you.  That new Promate Premium 8-2-12 does look good, with 0.31 Boron.

So, to summarize, your highly productive Orange Sherbet is nearest a large Peach Cobbler mango tree, within a collection of about 40 mango varieties.
The soil test, done by Spectrum Analytics, shows Boron at 1.3 m3-ppm (that lab recommends 1.7-2.6 m3-ppm), and Zinc at 18 (they recommend 4-11).

Different labs use different tests, different calibration soils, and different written measurements--- hard to compare.

Peach cobbler to the south (branches touching),  fruit punch to the east, glenn to the west (40 ft away), a row to the east, super julie, triple sec, m4. Not sure how helpful that is in your search for a pollinator but it says having a melting pot of varieties may benefit picky producers.
Brandon

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 11:14:27 AM »
I have had no insecurities of any feature about my 26 OS trees so far. In this past 2021 season I had 3 of the 4 trees that were over 3 years in the ground fruit. The amount of fruit produced by those 3 that Fruited was satisfactory. In 2022 all 26 have a green light to have babies. And right up to the time those OS fruit were picked I had been fertigating those trees 1X a month with Dyna-Gro’s Foliage Pro 9-3-6 at a rate ranging from 3 to 6 times the recommended rate. Analysis of this liquid fertilizer will be attached below as a photo.
I stopped fertilizing any of my trees that will be over 3 years old during the 2022 season the beginning of July because they will be allowed to produce fruit. I don’t want them to have any nitrogen and I wanted the summer rains to wash out what they had been sitting in their whole lives in my ground. They were absolutely green and healthy as humanly made possible at that point and sometimes that happiness is not conducive to the stresses they need to go through to reproduce themselves by making babies(fruit). All my trees that will be less than 3 years in ground next summer 2022 will continue to get pushed by this fertilizer. I do all this for fun cause I love experimenting.
The second part of this experiment was I did not prune a single tip on any of the trees or lower and shape them that are over 3 years old and I will allow to fruit in 2022. But if any trees overlapped on the sides I did make some space so light could get in. My guess/prediction/hope is a scary massive amount of fruit. Producing trees in 2022 will be about 210. Will let you know how this works out. At the end of the 2022 season I plan on leveling out every tree at 6 feet and pruning all around them dramatically. So 2023 will be a resting year for any tree that was allowed to fruit up to 2022. The summer of 2023 if no fruit pop out on those 210 mutilated trees the youngins that can produce includes mostly Sugarloafs and Lemon Zests and Pineapples Pleasures. PS my OS trees are surrounded by very close multiple varieties of mango trees. <br /><br />
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 11:16:40 AM by weiss613 »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2021, 03:03:32 PM »
Weiss,
So the concentration of Boron is very low (0,01) in your liquid fertilizer, but is readily available and applied frequently, and appears to be working.

The inclusion of Cobalt and Nickel is very interesting.
Har

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 12:37:33 AM »
But I said I use 3-6 times the recommended dose!!

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2021, 09:08:50 AM »
Helena 8-2-12.  I thought we were to shy away from any nitrogen ferts for mangos?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 10:16:42 AM »
Maybe when they reach a mature size. Even then, addition of nitrogen at flowering has shown in studies to increase fruitset but too much causes a decrease in quality. I tend to use less fert than my trees need and high rainfall washes out my soil so not an issue for me.
Helena 8-2-12.  I thought we were to shy away from any nitrogen ferts for mangos?
Brandon

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2021, 08:17:27 PM »
The non-productive Orange Sherbet grove was recently leaf-tissue tested.  (Target/desired range, per Australian authors)

Sulfur 0.17%                                 (0.1-0.2 %, and probably should be higher)
Boron 44 parts per million,              (50-80 ppm, some say 100+ ppm)
Zinc 21 ppm,                                 (20-150 ppm)
Manganese 37 ppm,                       (60-500 ppm)
Iron 36 ppm,                                 (70-200 ppm)
Copper 15 ppm.                             (10-20 ppm, some say more)

I am still interested in hearing more about anyone's big-enough-to-produce Orange Sherbet trees!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 01:07:39 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »
Ours is probably "big enough to produce" at around 9 feet and fairly bushy. Nice sized trunk. Flowered last year, but dropped fruit and none held on long.

Lightly fertilized (very little N), and did add some boron a few weeks ago.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 11:57:45 AM by roblack »

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2021, 10:58:47 AM »
Is desired Boron range discussed here only for orange sherbet?
Thanks,
Ed

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 07:11:31 PM »
Is desired Boron range discussed here only for orange sherbet?
Thanks,
Ed
I think a better question might be. Is this mostly an issue for South Florida.

University of Florida
 Gardening Solutions
Working in Your Florida Soil
A cross-section of Florida soil
Good, nutritious soil is the basis for any plant's success. To the frustration of many gardeners, Florida's "soil" is mostly sand.

This gray, fine soil is called Myakka, (pronounced My-yakah), an Indian word for "big waters." Only found in Florida, Myakka covers the majority of the state—more than 1½ million acres—and is actually our official state soil.

While the majority of the state is covered in Myakka, soil properties can vary widely. The soils of North and Central Florida are typically very sandy, while in the panhandle, the soil can contain substantial amounts of clay. Clay soils compact more easily and drain slower than sandy soils.

Meanwhile, down south in the Everglades, soils tend to be peat-based and extremely fertile. If you live in this area, you may not need to amend your soil. Finally, in extreme South Florida, soils are often shallow and have a high pH due to the influence of the limestone bedrock
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 01:05:01 PM »
Field adjoining Orange Sherbet field, soil tested, at 3 spots:  (target soil amounts, in Australia)

N P K Ca and Mg are all in moderate range.

Sulfur  5 lbs./acre and 6 lbs./acre and 15  lbs.acre.              ( >24 lbs./acre)

Boron  1.2 and 1.4 and 0.7  lbs./acre.                                 (2-4 lbs./acre)

Zinc   12  and  5.7  and  6.3  lbs./acre.                               (4-30 lbs./acre)

Manganese   9  and  4  and  4  lbs./acre.                             (8-100 lbs./acre)

Iron   12  and  8  and  6  lbs./acre.                                     (8-200 lbs./acre)

Copper   0.5  and  0.3  and  0.2  lbs./acre.                          (0.6-20 lbs./acre) 

« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 01:10:36 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 01:13:29 PM »
I edited my 24 November post, by adding target ranges for nutrient elements in leaf-tissue analyses of mango.
Har

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2021, 03:07:34 PM »
Haven't had any issues with orange sherbet production here, actually the opposite. The trees try to kill themselves with fruit every season so far. Can't say the same for Lemon Zest.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2021, 06:33:13 PM »
I'm just a backyard grower and only have one orange sherbet. It is in close proximity to a Valencia Pride Malika Dot mango trees. I've had no issues with anthracnose. I love the way you can pick it early green mature green or let it ripen on the tree. There was no inconsistencies in the fruit and It produced really well. I have not fertilized it for the last two seasons. In my novice opinion it is definitely top-tier in all aspects :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 01:00:02 PM »
dwfl,
Good to hear.  Could you mention which other mango varieties are near your OS, to pollinate it?

Bovine,
Thank you.
Har

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 06:17:59 PM »
dwfl,
Good to hear.  Could you mention which other mango varieties are near your OS, to pollinate it?

Bovine,
Thank you.

The only mango tree right nearby is a big Glenn tree. My other mango trees are all about 60ft away and further. I don't fertilize much and haven't sprayed them with anything. Is there any chance he bought mislabeled mystery mango trees?