Author Topic: Persimmon fruit question  (Read 2138 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Persimmon fruit question
« on: October 08, 2021, 04:30:46 PM »
Hi, do i need to pick those persimmons from my trees to further ripen them, or should i let them experiense some frost? I think i have read somewhere that they ripen with the help of frosts??
By the way ,does anyone reccognise the varieties from the fruit pics ?? <br /> <br />

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmon fruit question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »
This looks like a Fuyu variety. I have some myself. It is best to wait until they turn yellow and then orange. Once they have a small give to them when you squeeze them they are ready to be eaten. I enjoy them more soft then firm. If you pick them somewhat early they will still ripen in the sun over time

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 03:26:53 PM »
This looks like a Fuyu variety. I have some myself. It is best to wait until they turn yellow and then orange. Once they have a small give to them when you squeeze them they are ready to be eaten. I enjoy them more soft then firm. If you pick them somewhat early they will still ripen in the sun over time
thanks, i still do not know if they are stringent type or not, the last two photos are of a different pwrsimmon variety, they are small, the shape reminds me kind of a square.
I will wait for them both to have their first fruits change colour, and will try them when still hard to know if they are astringent. I like persimmons that can be consumed still hard as apples, but am still pleased with my first homegrown ones,whichever those turn out to be....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 03:29:04 PM »
thanks, i still do not know if they are stringent type or not, the last two photos are of a different pwrsimmon variety, they are small, the shape reminds me kind of a square.
I will wait for them both to have their first fruits change colour, and will try them when still hard to know if they are astringent. I like persimmons that can be consumed while still hard ,like apples, but am still pleased with my first homegrown ones, whichever those turn out to be....

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 11:27:45 PM »
Looks like a fuyu to me. That would be a non-astringent variety. So you need to wait until the fruit turns yellow before you eat it or it will not be sweet. Fuyu is hard like an apple so you will like it.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 01:35:12 AM »
Looks like a fuyu to me. That would be a non-astringent variety. So you need to wait until the fruit turns yellow before you eat it or it will not be sweet. Fuyu is hard like an apple so you will like it.
thank you for replying, do both varieties look like fuyu ,or only the bigger fruited one?? The last two photos are of another persimmon, as u can see the fruits look different compared to the other one.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 02:40:48 AM »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:21:17 PM by sc4001992 »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 02:45:39 AM »
The flat square ones are fuyu, see my photos of the fuyu I have below.

lol thanks ,those look yummy, they sure look alike , do they always come seedless for u ? I was hoping to harvest some seeds and  propagate rootstocks come spring.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 03:00:32 AM »
Yes, my Fuyu is always seedless and the other fuyus I have tasted (not mine) are also seedless.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 01:55:17 AM »
Most are seedless.
A few have seeds.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 07:35:23 AM »
Heres an update, the fuyu plant dropped its leaves whille they were still green, i felt like i had been overwattering them for time in the summer, may be due to that. However the fruits are still hanging on both plants, should i pick them now and ripen them indoors, or are they ok staying on the plants a little more. Do they need frost to ripen ??
I also saw some water soaked parts on some of the fruits, the places are firm thought. Anyone experienced this ??
<br /> <br />

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 08:59:46 AM »
What is your daytime and nighttime temperatures (high and low) ?

Persimmon trees will loose all its leaves when it gets cold in winter. Some trees will only have the fruits hanging with no leaves in December/January.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 02:52:23 PM »
What is your daytime and nighttime temperatures (high and low) ?

Persimmon trees will loose all its leaves when it gets cold in winter. Some trees will only have the fruits hanging with no leaves in December/January.
hi, the lows are arround 5 C ,we had several light frosts though. The daytime temps theese days are arround 20 but we had one week or so with daytime temps  lower than 10C.
I believe that last year both plants also shed their leaves like that, green , i really think that the one that shed all of its leaves atm was heavily overlatered and probably has some root damage because of this.
Latering them was a little tricky since the top of the pot was always drying way faster then the bottom, thus i was watering ofter and apparently in excess.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 05:20:49 PM »
My fuyu still has green leaves in zone 7 no color change yet, but the weather is still unusually warm for autumn. It's true that persimmons will drop leaves and leave the fruit hanging on the tree so don't worry. It reminds me of Charlie Brown's christmas tree when you have just branches and fruit hanging on them lol.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 05:22:52 PM »
You should move your potted persimmon in the dirt so the roots will not dry on the bottom so quickly. Also if you move the pot so it is sitting on the dirt instead on concrete it will allow some small roots to escape and it will help keep the plant healthier.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 02:35:04 AM »
My fuyu still has green leaves in zone 7 no color change yet, but the weather is still unusually warm for autumn. It's true that persimmons will drop leaves and leave the fruit hanging on the tree so don't worry. It reminds me of Charlie Brown's christmas tree when you have just branches and fruit hanging on them lol.
yeah i am not worried about them hanging, but just wondering how long should i let them hang on. I know usually people let them hang ,but i have seen it in the warmer parts of the country where they may not get hard early frosts, i am living in a somewhat mountainous area (830m above sea level) and the fruit may not manage to turn colour all arround in time.

You should move your potted persimmon in the dirt so the roots will not dry on the bottom so quickly. Also if you move the pot so it is sitting on the dirt instead on concrete it will allow some small roots to escape and it will help keep the plant healthier.
Actually the problematic part of the pots soil level were both the top and the bottom, the top probably being on the drier side,the bottom was the opposite, being too wet, especially on the plant that shed its leaves green. I had read that any water stres when the plants are holding fruit may result in the fruit falling, so i technically overcared them in a way, i will fix the water rejimen next year, the last week being rain every day surely didnt help with the condition also.
I had planted them in spring in the ground ,but after a few nights with hard frosts most of the buds beggining from the middle of the plant going up were damaged and dead ,so i decided to move them back in the pots since i thought atm that this will be happening every year.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:39:50 AM by Plantinyum »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2021, 09:03:29 AM »
Plantinyum,
I am about the same zone as you. I leave my persimmons on the tree until they are fully orange. Right now, mine still need another week or so before picking. I would leave them on long enough...Persimmons should do ok in ground in your zone - I have seen trees in cold mountainous climates (zone 6) and they do fine. I would plant them back into the ground once they go dormant. (I have heard that persimmons roots still grow in the winter, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 11:09:39 AM »
Plantinyum,
I am about the same zone as you. I leave my persimmons on the tree until they are fully orange. Right now, mine still need another week or so before picking. I would leave them on long enough...Persimmons should do ok in ground in your zone - I have seen trees in cold mountainous climates (zone 6) and they do fine. I would plant them back into the ground once they go dormant. (I have heard that persimmons roots still grow in the winter, someone correct me if I'm wrong).
thanks for the reply !! I may plant one of the plants next spring, i will have a new planting spot where i cut a huge pine tree, but will wait till spring just to be safe....i have a third plant ,i may plant it since i like those two as potted specimens, their shape is very nice ...