Author Topic: Help for 50 year old backyard lemon tree?  (Read 1814 times)

ChrisCal

• SAN DIEGO
    • View Profile
Help for 50 year old backyard lemon tree?
« on: November 04, 2021, 01:12:09 AM »
This tree has been strong and prolific for as long as I can remember, but this year it is looking droopy and possibly in trouble.  One family member has hypothesized that it is approaching the end of its life. :'(  I've read online that 50 years is average, but that some lemon trees can grow to be as old as 100.

There have been no recent changes to the conditions under which the tree has thrived over the decades, except...

I did plant a tangerine tree about 20 feet away during the early months of Covid (Mar 2020). That tree is yellowing a bit (probably too much water, though I'm also now giving it citrus tree food), but I don't think I introduced a disease or anything like that. (I certainly hope not.)

I'd be so grateful for feedback and recommendations.  Pics below...

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Help for 50 year old backyard lemon tree?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 01:53:29 PM »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:49:26 PM by sc4001992 »

matt_citrus

• USA, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 02:18:57 PM »
Underfertilized and possibly overwatered.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 02:44:18 PM »
Matt, I agree with your comments as well.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 02:48:25 PM by sc4001992 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 06:19:20 PM »
Definitely under fertilized.  Fertilize with a fertilizer high in nitrogen and potassium.

ChrisCal

• SAN DIEGO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
Thank you, everyone!  (And apologies for the delay in replying.)

sc4001992:  I will get on this immediately, thank you. (Regarding "getting old"-- we asked a landscape architect to look at the tree a couple days ago, and he said basically the same thing.  But obviously I'm still going to deal with the dead stuff per your recommendation.)

matt_citrus and Millet:  The watering has not changed over the decades... same sprinkler system, pointing in exactly the same direction, going off with the same frequency.  So with that piece remaining constant, I'm reluctant to roll the dice with big changes.  But we are definitely fertilizing now (which hadn't been done since the tree's earliest years). 

The citrus tree food I bought from the nursery has recommendations for monthly and twice-a-year maintenance. Your feedback makes me think the maintenance protocol would be too conservative. Maybe I'll start monthly and move to quarterly.

In any case, I will be cutting off the dead stuff immediately.  It seems we have been taking this tree for granted!

Many thanks again for the replies, everyone!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 10:29:58 AM »
If you are concerned about making large changes to the whole tree, you could try a foliar spray of fertilizer to only a specific section of the tree and monitor it over time.  I suspect you will see it green up compared to the untreated areas.  If that is the case, it is good evidence that your tree needs overall more fertilizer (delivered via roots)

ChrisCal

• SAN DIEGO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 10:30:55 PM »
If you are concerned about making large changes to the whole tree, you could try a foliar spray of fertilizer to only a specific section of the tree and monitor it over time.  I suspect you will see it green up compared to the untreated areas.  If that is the case, it is good evidence that your tree needs overall more fertilizer (delivered via roots)
This is a great idea. Thank you!

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 02:47:17 AM »
Not a pro in this, but could this tree use some rejuvenation trimming to produce new young branches? I also see alot of dead branches( small) in there, its becomed entangled and this is preventing air flow ,thus the chance of desease increases. I am not an expert in citrus ,but that's rather a generall tree care thing.
U can use the trimmed parts to start new plants also!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 02:49:10 AM by Plantinyum »

ChrisCal

• SAN DIEGO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 12:50:07 AM »
Not a pro in this, but could this tree use some rejuvenation trimming to produce new young branches? I also see alot of dead branches( small) in there, its becomed entangled and this is preventing air flow ,thus the chance of desease increases. I am not an expert in citrus ,but that's rather a generall tree care thing.
U can use the trimmed parts to start new plants also!

Thank you for your reply! Someone earlier in the thread also recommended trimming dead branches (that post seems to be missing), which I have now done and will continue doing.  Some branches that appear dead suddenly sprout lemons, so I don't yet have full confidence in my dead/not-dead distinctions, but I've cleared out all of the obviously dead stuff.  Fingers crossed...

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 01:32:03 AM »
Chris, you can distinguish dead branches from good live branches by looking at the piece you cut. If you look inside the cross section of the cut and you only see dry/brown color it's dead. If you see either white or green color cross section and maybe the cambium layer is not dried out then it is alive. Just cut any small branch that has no leaves and looks bad or dried out starting from the tip of that branch section, then keep cutting that branch back to where is originates from the main trunk or secondary branches that are growing good (leaves, green wood). If you are not sure if its dead or alive then leave the branch alone.

Post a before and after photo of your tree.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 01:36:08 AM by sc4001992 »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 03:46:23 AM »
Chris, you can distinguish dead branches from good live branches by looking at the piece you cut. If you look inside the cross section of the cut and you only see dry/brown color it's dead. If you see either white or green color cross section and maybe the cambium layer is not dried out then it is alive. Just cut any small branch that has no leaves and looks bad or dried out starting from the tip of that branch section, then keep cutting that branch back to where is originates from the main trunk or secondary branches that are growing good (leaves, green wood). If you are not sure if its dead or alive then leave the branch alone.

Post a before and after photo of your tree.

Another trick to find dead branches is to scrape some bark with the nail or some other object,  if its green under its alive.

ChrisCal

• SAN DIEGO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 11:21:20 PM »
Thank you SO much for this specific guidance on how to identify dead branches!
I will get on this tomorrow morning.
Thanks too for the tip to take pictures as a means of identifying changes.
(I hope to be able to return to this forum with pics exhibiting renewed tree health!)

ChrisCal

• SAN DIEGO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 08:18:32 PM »
Did some trimming today following the provided instructions (thank you again!). Some dead stuff was very easy to identify: it snapped off when I barely touched it.  Below is a pic of dead branches and rotting-on-the-branch lemons that I pulled down today:

Here are some encouraging signs, I think:

Here is the current state of the tree:

The instructions on my tree food say to apply once a month until the tree improves, so I will be doing another application soon.

A few questions, in case anyone returns to this thread:

1)   One large lemon I recently harvested was very dry on the inside. Does that signify anything in particular? (Or is it just a general sign of an unwell tree?)
2)     Should I be cutting dead branches just from under the canopy, or anywhere I find dead branches? (Per my mother's instructions, I'm already cutting off dead lemons wherever I find them and can reach them with my longest shears.)
3)     My mother thinks some upcoming rain will be helpful for cleaning dust and such off the tree. If the rain turns out to be light, maybe some hosing down would be helpful?
4)   Should I be troubled that the citrus tree food I bought has a CA cancer warning on it?

I wish I could beam the tree into this group’s more capable hands.  Since I cannot, I will try to do better for this tree. THANK YOU again!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 01:19:55 AM »
It's looking better. Yes, you should remove as much of the dead branches from the entire tree that you can reach.
If it doesn't rain enough to wash off the dirt/mold, etc then use a nozzle on your hose and hose off the branches once a week for 2-3 weeks and it will help it out (white flies, etc).

The large lemon that was very dry inside was just over ripe so it will dry out, that's normal. It's a good idea to pick any of  the old fruits and throw it away if you can reach it with a fruit picker. You can get a telescoping fruit picker ( 6 ft- 12ft).

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2021, 09:57:41 AM »
Just about everything in California has a cancer warning on it.  I purchased a pair of pruning shears and it had a California cancer warning on it. Just absurd.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 12:13:37 PM by Millet »