Author Topic: Cold Hardiness of Owari Satsuma???  (Read 1344 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Cold Hardiness of Owari Satsuma???
« on: November 07, 2021, 08:47:51 PM »
I was reading online and heard that owari is can withstand temperatures down to 12f. It rarely goes below 15 here. Does anyone have any experience growing satsumas in a similar climate with no protection? If it is doable, then I will plant my tree in ground next spring.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Hardiness of Owari Satsuma???
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 08:51:45 PM »
I believe somebody mentioned there's a "frost owari" and perhaps more like this with a bit more cold hardiness than even regular owari.  Owari tastes fantastic, so definitely worth a try if you are borderline.  You could try frost cloth or a popup shelter if you have a really cold night.

EDIT - it seems "frost owari" is simply another name for plain "owari".  I'm seeing temperature ranges listed from "mid 20s" to "15F for a mature tree".  You're probably going to need to protect it on the coldest days or it will never reach the mature-tree stage
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 08:56:09 PM by brian »

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 10:16:35 PM »
Your difficulty is not going to be your overall low of 15 degrees but the high the next day and the duration of the cold spells.  My trees have sustained 16 degrees, they were young  (2 to 3 years) and had some significant damage, but we got to 35/36 the next day before plunging back into freezing temps again.  The cold spell was also only 3 days straight.  Satsumas are not very large trees, you could easily build a protective shelter for one if not more than one.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 10:47:23 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. I kept it alive last winter in a makeshift greenhouse heated with only a candle during the coldest nights. I was hoping I could just plant in ground and leave alone, but this seems to not be the case.

countryboy1981

• 8B Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 09:09:51 AM »
I would plant it in the ground amd build a stricture around it during the winter where you can protect it.  It is going to have more cold tolerance in the ground than in the pot if you are keeping the pot outside.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »
I believe somebody mentioned there's a "frost owari" and perhaps more like this with a bit more cold hardiness than even regular owari.  Owari tastes fantastic, so definitely worth a try if you are borderline.  You could try frost cloth or a popup shelter if you have a really cold night.

EDIT - it seems "frost owari" is simply another name for plain "owari".  I'm seeing temperature ranges listed from "mid 20s" to "15F for a mature tree".  You're probably going to need to protect it on the coldest days or it will never reach the mature-tree stage

I'm of the opinion that the"Frost" in Frost Satsuma is in honor of Howard B. Frost a renowned Citrus breeder out of Riverside CA.