Author Topic: Dabai, Marang, Cempejack 'Nangcem', Cempedak 'Champion' Seedlings (Ship from Fl)  (Read 1626 times)

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Hello all! These are seedlings for Han Sens seeds. He can't ship to US right now, so I've had these sent from a friend in the UK to me. I had very high germination rate and wanted to offer the US community some mostly rare seedlings. I have only seen Cenna cempejack seedlings (not grafted) in US so far, so Nangcem is new. As you likely know, artocarpus doesn't always come true to seed.

If you have lived in S. Florida for the past 15-20 years, you know things have gotten much warmer, especially the winters, so I believe its time to start trying these colder sensitive artocarpus species.

I had a previous account Finca Loca, but after 1 month of trying and failing to get a password reset, I made this new account.

Credits to Han Sen, you can see the pictures of these fruits at his original thread: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=44191.0

Dabai ($25):

Cempejeck ($25) (please specify if you want the orange or yellow (slightly larger fruit)) :

Cempedak ($25):

Marang ($25):

Imbe ($25) - These are seedling trees(likely 2 years old) rescued from Roberts Nursery in Homestead, FL he confirmed these are from the hermaphrodite tree at the property:

I do grow 100% organic and inoculate all my seedlings, if that matters to you.

Thanks for visiting!!

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
sorry to hear about the account lockout!

Fabulous and reputable vendor, got some dabai from him and all germinated

fruitmonger

• S Florida 11a
    • View Profile
Has anyone fruited Marang successfully in Florida?

I am willing to try....just wondering.

Are these available for pickup in Loxahatchee?

I would like to buy a few different plants.

I have 2 Cempejack seedlings planted but would love to grow other plants to extend the gene pool.

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Chinese proverb

ben mango

• View Profile
I don’t think anyone has fruited marang in FL. Cempedak has a very slim chance in surviving, better off trying to grow cempejaks there

Was there any trick to getting the dabai to sprout? Such an underrated fruit. I haven’t had luck with the seeds sprouting from what I sent back.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
I'll say it here as I say it everywhere-

sow seeds in 100% vermiculite for best germination

apparently a huge percentage of the seedlings are male, so I hope you are keeping a good number back!

Fruit Jungle

• View Profile
Has anyone fruited Marang successfully in Florida?

I am willing to try....just wondering.

Are these available for pickup in Loxahatchee?

I would like to buy a few different plants.

I have 2 Cempejack seedlings planted but would love to grow other plants to extend the gene pool.

I don't know of anyone who has fruited marang in  Fl. These are in Sunrise,FL Broward County, until my Lox farm is up and running. I can ship too, or if you're somewhere between broward and west palm, let me know I can likely drop off.

Fruit Jungle

• View Profile
I don’t think anyone has fruited marang in FL. Cempedak has a very slim chance in surviving, better off trying to grow cempejaks there

Was there any trick to getting the dabai to sprout? Such an underrated fruit. I haven’t had luck with the seeds sprouting from what I sent back.
I had 99% germination with the dabai. I used peat and perlite, and a homemade IMO2 for inoculation, nothing else. Many were already sprouted when I got them.

Fruit Jungle

• View Profile
I'll say it here as I say it everywhere-

sow seeds in 100% vermiculite for best germination

apparently a huge percentage of the seedlings are male, so I hope you are keeping a good number back!
Hey elouicious, hope your seedlings are doing good so far. I've going to keep at least 10, so hope I get some females. Maybe I can graft the females onto any males I get.

ben mango

• View Profile
Let us know in 10 years  :P  I would be surprised if they even survive that long anywhere in the continental us

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
as ben alludes this one might be even harder than durian to fruit in continental US, I have 6 seedlings but apparently when these trees fruit they are branch less for the first 30 feet, only chance I think we have would be to find that for some reason it is much more cold tolerant than it should be

sooperken

• USA, CA, Central Coast, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Already received the Imbe today.  Nice plant size, condition, and packaging. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Fruit Jungle

• View Profile
Still some more plants left