Author Topic: Sweet Potato  (Read 743 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Potato
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 01:32:39 PM »
Janet, so far only my satsuma mandarin and cara cara oranges are getting ripe so I can start eating them.

I picked these today.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach, CA, zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2021, 05:12:35 PM »
Beautiful Kaz,

My satsuma and cara cara are way behind yours.  My sister grows Fuyu, so Iím growing Saijo, my favorite for making  hoshigaki.

Tried another couple sweet potatoes.  The Okinawans are on the right in both images.  The Molokai are earthy with a slight bitterness, no sweetness with a little fiber thatís barely noticeable.  Taste is not bad, maybe okay variety if youíre adding butter, sugar, or savory seasoning.  Okinawans were sweet, creamy, no fiber.  Both are high in antioxidants.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2021, 05:27:21 PM »
I just grafted Saijo this year since I hear so much good things about the taste. This will be my first astringent variety, I might try the hoshigaki in a few years when my tree looks like yours.

Nice photos of the purple potatoes, didn't know the Molokai was not sweet. I better get more of the Okinawa growing.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach, CA, zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2021, 07:12:02 PM »
Kaz,

If you want to try the Saijo, I can send you some.  Just let me know.

Iím going to grow the Molokais one more year to see if they sweeten up with more nutrients in the soil.  I eat the leaves cooked, and I like the deep purple color on the young leaves of the Molokai.  Plus they are effortless to grow and make a nice ground cover.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2021, 12:03:47 AM »
Janet, yes !

I would like to try one, please send me one. Let me know how much to ship it. Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk