21 (9.5%)
Carmen
11 (5%)
Lamb
7 (3.2%)
Pinkerton
31 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Avocado poll  (Read 10452 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Avocado poll
« on: November 20, 2021, 08:33:28 PM »
 :D

Which avocados are most appealing to you?  Ive put the types I personally like and can also grow in this location.  I have to make a decision which types to grow for sale.  Which is a difficult choice to make.  The ones that taste the best dont necessarily fruit well or grow well and end up costing more to grow.

Reed, sharwil, nabal are superior fruits IMO but these are not as easy to grow here as the hass family. Hass is an awesome fruit and they grow and produce well here but its difficult to sell unless selling wholesale.  Tough to compete with mexican avocado production even if the fruit here are higher quality. 

Lamb and Gem are highly productive, but they are B grade fruits.  All of these have some tradeoff. 
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado poll
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 10:18:54 PM »
Did Fuerte fall out of favor years ago?  You don't hear any mention of it these days.  It was THE avocado back in the 60's and 70's.  I remember all the Fuerte trees in Fallbrook.  Is Bacon still grown?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 10:20:43 PM by johnb51 »
John

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 10:23:19 PM »
Hi Brad,

Have you thought about selling directly to restaurants?  If the restaurant is busy enough they could buy everything you grow.  We don’t pay wholesale prices, and you’re right that the quality of imports suck.  Important factors for us besides taste would be that the flesh separates easily from the seed and the skin peels easily or easily scoops with a spoon without the skin breaking apart.  Also avocado that don’t discolor quickly after prep.  There’s definitely demand from restaurants for quality, and supporting a local grower is a bonus.

Janet

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 11:15:13 PM »
I wish I have tasted a few of these varieties, but not yet. I have Hass and Fuerte trees. IMO, Fuerte is a solid avocado, but not anywhere near the same quality as Hass.  I can’t get Hass to produce consistently year after year in heavy quantities.  I don’t water them enough and timing fertilization is important. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 11:18:22 PM »
Fuerte is good but its not as good tasting as hass to me.  The trees get super big but dont produce reliably also so they are kind of just not a good one to grow compared to hass. 

Bacons also people just dont really want to buy a lot and the trees get huge so its difficult to manage many of them.

They do sell some bacons and fuertes at the farmers markets here but its pretty minimal and not really a hot item.  Most people are buying hass even at the farmer market.  Reeds are popular at the market but the tree isnt that reliable where Im at.  The reeds also require staking or they can tip over from strong winds.  Reed is maybe the best tasting one though.  They are super good.  They were selling for 5$ each at the farmer market this summer. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:20:11 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 11:27:37 PM »
Hi Brad,

Have you thought about selling directly to restaurants?  If the restaurant is busy enough they could buy everything you grow.  We don’t pay wholesale prices, and you’re right that the quality of imports suck.  Important factors for us besides taste would be that the flesh separates easily from the seed and the skin peels easily or easily scoops with a spoon without the skin breaking apart.  Also avocado that don’t discolor quickly after prep.  There’s definitely demand from restaurants for quality, and supporting a local grower is a bonus.

Janet

Theres a taco shop nearby i go to often and I asked them one time if they wanted to buy some avocados.  The woman who owned it was interested but she was saying they needed to have a sticker from a packing house on them so they could trace it if there was a problem.  It sounded like excessive government regulation but she may have been wrong about that, I dont know.  She seemed to have some serious concern about the government showing up and looking at everything.  I have no idea if thats really a requirement for resturaunts? 

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 11:42:42 PM »
Jason by the way, the hass here alternate every year.  An alternating season every other year is ok if its reliable.  It seems to be pretty reliable they make a big load every 2 years. 

Sharwil and reed on the other hand can alternate and get on a 2 or 3 year interval.  And they make less fruit and grow slower.  So you can see the cost per fruit to the grower is much higher compared to hass.  I can put the sharwils and reeds on 12ft space though where hass is on 18ft. 

Lamb and gem alternate less than the rest but even they still can alternate a bit.  Those are the 2 stud trees for high density planting and heavy production.  They are probably good for selling to a resturaunt but for individual buyer they just arent the A grade fruits. 
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 09:30:45 AM »
I hear about chef’s buying at farmer’s markets all the time.  We use to buy from a grower in Fallbrook who would collect from several other growers and deliver to us.  We’ve never had an issue with anyone checking for stickers on our produce.   I’d check out the more upscale cafe’s who sell avocado toast and have higher price points. 

What about Sir Prize?  Has a nice color, tastes good.  Is it same season as Hass?  I think a selection of consistent year round production is key so that your customers have no reason to buy from someone else off season.  We haven’t tried most on your list.  Wish we could have made it to your avocado tasting.

By the way, the seedlings you gave us are doing great.  Thanks again!

Janet

BQ McFry

• Avocados in zone 7B? Maybe! http://tiny.cc/ppmmuz
    • Gaston County, NC 7B
    • View Profile
    • Avo7BProject
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 09:35:18 AM »
Yeah, my first thought is that is was one of those "don't bother me we get asked that all the time" answers. There is such a strong "grow it locally" ethos nowadays. I have seen food trucks in my area with a map posted on the side of the farms they source from. If there's truth to the answer it must have something to do with California specific regulations.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »
That's true about original Hass tasting better than Fuerte.  My dad planted a Hass tree in the front yard in South Gate, CA, in the 1970's.  Boy, that fruit was outstanding!  Rich and nutty-flavored, not like the Mexican Hass found in supermarkets these days.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 12:15:36 PM by johnb51 »
John

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 11:21:47 AM »

Theres a taco shop nearby i go to often and I asked them one time if they wanted to buy some avocados.  The woman who owned it was interested but she was saying they needed to have a sticker from a packing house on them so they could trace it if there was a problem.  It sounded like excessive government regulation but she may have been wrong about that, I dont know.  She seemed to have some serious concern about the government showing up and looking at everything.  I have no idea if thats really a requirement for resturaunts?

Brad, Sounds like the California Avocado Commission propaganda made its way to your taco shop owner. They don’t mess around. ;) careful, before you know it, you will start producing over 10,000 lbs and forced to pay their growers assessments.

Ado

• Torrance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 11:23:14 AM »
Hey Brad,

Curious as to why Jan Boyce didn't make your list? From what you read online people love that one. Doesn't grow/produce well there?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 12:53:32 PM »
Yeah the jan boyce doeant seem reliable at all here.  The fruit tastes nice though.  It probably does better somewhere with milder weather, too hot here. 
Brad Spaugh

sbtropic

• USA, California, Santa Barbara, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 03:52:05 PM »
Does Carmen Hass have a seasonal and production advantage. If so it might be good to take that into account.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »
I dont know about carmen really i only have a couple immature trees.  So far thry have only made fruit 1X per year. 
Brad Spaugh

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 12:17:40 AM »
I dont know about carmen really i only have a couple immature trees.  So far thry have only made fruit 1X per year.
Brad….I’ve heard that in SoCal… the Carmen Hass is a consistent producer every year, whereas the Hass is more of an alternate bearer.  But would be nice if we could get 2 crops from Carmen.  But I take consistent every year anytime.
Warren

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2021, 12:41:36 PM »
The last avocado tasting you hosted, I remembered the Carmen was in the top 3. 

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2021, 05:22:34 PM »
Hi Brad
Soon I will send you some avocados. Just 2 of my top 6. Still not ready for harvest, but I need the feedback from other members

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2021, 10:08:25 PM »
Jason by the way, the hass here alternate every year.  An alternating season every other year is ok if its reliable.  It seems to be pretty reliable they make a big load every 2 years. 

Sharwil and reed on the other hand can alternate and get on a 2 or 3 year interval.  And they make less fruit and grow slower.  So you can see the cost per fruit to the grower is much higher compared to hass.  I can put the sharwils and reeds on 12ft space though where hass is on 18ft. 

Lamb and gem alternate less than the rest but even they still can alternate a bit.  Those are the 2 stud trees for high density planting and heavy production.  They are probably good for selling to a resturaunt but for individual buyer they just arent the A grade fruits.

Brad, why Lamb and Gem are considered B grades to you?   Majority of people seem to like them.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:16:27 PM by Lovetoplant »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2021, 10:49:48 PM »
I think they are B grade for flavor.  If others disagree, thats OK.  B is not that bad of a grade.  Theres just others that rate higher for me. I will take a reed over a lamb or gem any day.  My guess is majority of people have never tried them.   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:52:41 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

BQ McFry

• Avocados in zone 7B? Maybe! http://tiny.cc/ppmmuz
    • Gaston County, NC 7B
    • View Profile
    • Avo7BProject
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2021, 11:20:05 PM »
The average person is unaware that there are different kinds of avocados. The only reason I had any knowledge either, was noticing that once in a while my local store would stock Pinkertons when Hass was not available - and would post a notice explaining that Pinkerton is supposed to be green and shaped differently. In other words, the grocery management was also aware that most people think Hass is what avocados "should be" and have to explain anything that deviates from that.

Once in a while I see a few Dominican/Florida avocados here in North Carolina. And the Latino grocers will stock some of the darker skinned Mexican varieties. But really, Hass is 95% or more of what you find on the shelf.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 11:38:36 PM »
Hi Brad,

Janet

It is indeed excessive for small farms. That is why there is a small farm exemption. The restaurant owner's concerns are also valid, because she can be fined if they inspect her shop and find produce that is in violation of the Food Safety Modernization Act.

As I understand it, if on average over the past 3 years you have sold less than $25k in fresh produce (processed/cooked produce or produce that will be processed/cooked can be in addition to this amount) primarily to "end users" (restaurants, groceries, and individuals within 275 miles) and you put a label with your address on the box you should be fine. Our produce has never been questioned, even when other produce in the store was found in violation durring an inspection. Customers will need to be educated, though. For example, it can be helpful to have a packet of paperwork explaining the small farm exemption along with a discription of your farm and contact information.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/12/understanding-small-farm-exemptions-under-fsmas-produce-safety-rule/&ved=2ahUKEwiBk6bWzK30AhX1QjABHbTBA-MQFnoECC0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0r8rR0U1ZzNMCxV9AzADNU

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 06:38:23 PM »
I’m no expert but Kahalu’u is the best I’ve eaten. Large fruit, small seed, thin peelable skin, delicious rich with oil.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 08:44:20 PM »
I’m no expert but Kahalu’u is the best I’ve eaten. Large fruit, small seed, thin peelable skin, delicious rich with oil.

Im growing kahaluu and have 1 fruit on the tree for the first time this year.  It dosant seem to fruit well so far but it may start once the tree is more mature.  Fujikawa is growing well here but the flavor is just a little off on them.  Otherwise it is growing and fruiting as well as any of the best CA avocados here. 
Brad Spaugh

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2021, 07:46:59 PM »
Kahalu is a small kid in comparison with my Lolo avocado.