Author Topic: Red Annona naming  (Read 1357 times)

BloomAndBurn

• Texas Zone 8b
    • View Profile
    • Bloom&Burn
Red Annona naming
« on: November 25, 2021, 06:50:32 PM »
Hi I just want to confirm whether the following names all refer to the same tree. I use to think they were different but see a tree being sold with the name listed as Red Atemoya/ Red Geffner/ Israel Red/ 47-18/ temoylata. You help is greatly appreciated thank you😊.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Red Annona naming
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 01:27:49 PM »
I have heard most of those names for the same tree.
I had one but it snapped at the graft on a windy day

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 08:47:35 PM »
Any "temoylata" is an Annona hybrid whose seed parent (a.k.a. mother-tree) was an "atemoya", AND whose pollen parent (father-tree) was an Annona reticulata.

["Atemoya" is itself an Annona hybrid: a mix of Annona squamosa with Annona cherimola, and not with any other species.]

The '47--18' is indeed a "temoylata".  It came into being in the mid 1980's, at Zill Nursery, when I got pollen from a male-stage flower of 'San Pablo' Annona reticulata and placed it in a female-stage flower of 'Gefner' Atemoya.  The several seeds that formed in the resulting fruit were planted and grown into trees, which were planted in the experimental field's 47th row.  The one in position 18 was selected because of its high productivity and gorgeous shiny RED fruits.  However, its flavor is extremely mild, in the best conditions.  In poor conditions it is tasteless or off.

It is not an atemoya, so red atemoya is not correct.

It is not from Israel.

It is red, but there are others too.
Har

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 07:49:43 AM »
Any "temoylata" is an Annona hybrid whose seed parent (a.k.a. mother-tree) was an "atemoya", AND whose pollen parent (father-tree) was an Annona reticulata.

["Atemoya" is itself an Annona hybrid: a mix of Annona squamosa with Annona cherimola, and not with any other species.]

The '47--18' is indeed a "temoylata".  It came into being in the mid 1980's, at Zill Nursery, when I got pollen from a male-stage flower of 'San Pablo' Annona reticulata and placed it in a female-stage flower of 'Gefner' Atemoya.  The several seeds that formed in the resulting fruit were planted and grown into trees, which were planted in the experimental field's 47th row.  The one in position 18 was selected because of its high productivity and gorgeous shiny RED fruits.  However, its flavor is extremely mild, in the best conditions.  In poor conditions it is tasteless or off.

It is not an atemoya, so red atemoya is not correct.

It is not from Israel.

It is red, but there are others too.
Thanks Har for the explanation
Is this different then the 47-18 your describing above?

https://www.canarius.com/blog/the-exotic-red-atemoya/

I heard a story that this tree actually came from scions from Zill's and was actually
the same as the 47-18. There also was a different story on this forum that this same
bland tasting 47-18 is now being sold with a completely different name at a nursery in California?
I was able to receive scions from the trees being sold in Europe but my tree snapped in a
wind storm before I could evaluate the fruit

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 08:10:43 AM »
Same one.  An Israeli got the 47--18 from Zill's in Florida, then shared it in Europe, without saying where it was from.
Har

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 09:47:18 AM »
The story you have heard about this variety being sold at a nursery in Southern California under a different name is partially true. Ong’s nursery in San Diego sells a variety named Ong’s Ruby Red. It is a cross of 47-18 and another Annona (I forget which one). The cross was made by JF.

Bill

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 01:31:02 PM »
Good to know.
Har

BloomAndBurn

• Texas Zone 8b
    • View Profile
    • Bloom&Burn
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 07:52:39 PM »
TY Har for the info on the temoylata and TY acheta and Bill for the follow up questions and info. That was exactly what I was looking to understand.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk