Author Topic: What's biting into my soursop branches? They turn into black gashes.  (Read 806 times)

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Can someone identify what might be biting my soursop branches? When the branch is green I find little black spots on them and as they grow the spot opens to a gash. I imagine something is biting it and sucking out the sap but I've never seen anything on there that might be the culprit. The only thing I've seen that could be but I never find a bite when I take them off is a thick white scale with a red or orange dot on the inside. I haven't seen that scale on any other tree in my yard and it's like a big shield shell. I'll try to find one and post a picture of it. I spray the tree once a month with a soap and oil mix that kills any aphids but doesn't work so well on scale.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: What's biting into my soursop branches? They turn into black gashes.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 01:17:45 PM »
I would expect that the black stingless bee known locally as ‘conga’ could be the culprit.
Peter

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »
Really?!? Oh well, I guess I'll just leave it then. Those bees (I think) and others are all around here feeding on the banana flowers. This is the second guanabana we've had here. The first we took down because it was infested with fungus and passed a lot of it to the orchid collection. This one is planted further away but with those open wounds I'd imagine the mold will soon start to colonize.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 09:58:29 PM »
Congas are a serious problem for guanabana, citrus, etc.  Spread wet calcium carbonate on the wounds and see how it goes.
Saludos

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 10:08:05 PM »
I didn't realize that! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll pick some up in the next couple days!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk