Author Topic: Cactus Hybrids  (Read 1790 times)

Nosari7Viper

• United States, Gilbert, AZ
    • View Profile
Cactus Hybrids
« on: March 09, 2022, 03:24:08 PM »
Has Someone made any of these Hybrids
     1. Harrisia martinii × Samaipaticereus corroanus × Harrisia fragrans Hybrid
     2. Escontria Chiotilla × Eulychnia acida Hybrid
     3. Stenocereus thurberi × Escontria Chiotilla Hybrid
     4. Myrtillocactus Geometrizans × Carnegiea gigantea Hybrid
     5. Jasminocereus thouarsii × Myrtillocactus Geometrizans Hybrid
     6. Peniocereus johnstonii × Stenocereus thurberi Hybrid
     7. Cipocereus bradei × Cereus peruvianus Hybrid
     8. Myrtillocactus Geometrizans × Pilosocereus Gounellei × Stenocereus thurberi Hybrid
     9. Wittia Amazonica × Selenicereus boeckmannii Hybrid
    10. Selenicereus triangularis × Pseudorhipsalis ramulosa Hybrid
    11. Disocactus nelsonii × Selenicereus hondurensis Hybrid
    12. Cipocereus minensis × Cereus forbessi 'Spiralis'
    13. Pilosocereus robinii × Stenocereus machaerocereus eruca
    14. Opuntia basilaris × Opuntia diploursina × Opuntia pilifera Hybrid
    15. Opuntia basilaris × Opuntia diploursina × Opuntia saxicola Hybrid
    16. Acanthocereus tetragonus Fairy castle × StetSonia coryne Hybrid
    17. Escontria Chiotilla × Carnegiea gigantea Hybrid
    18. Schlumbergera rosea × Selenicereus setaceus Hybrid
    19. Kimnachia × Selenicereus × Pseudorhipsalis × Hylocereus Hybrid
    20. Acanthocereus tetragonus Fairy castle × Pseudorhipsalis × Selenicereus Hybrid
    21. Kimnachia × Selenicereus × Pseudorhipsalis × Selenicereus Hybrid
    22. Epiphyllum × Disocactus × Selenicereus Hybrid
    23. Pachycereus pringlei × Myrtillocactus cochal Hybrid
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 05:48:18 PM by Nosari7Viper »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
Re: Cactus Hybrids
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 02:16:37 AM »
Hi Nosari,

interesting list - any reason for these mixes in particular?

I am planning to create some intergeneric hybrids but this will be some time as most of my cacti are still just seeds  :P

Nosari7Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 04:50:16 PM »
Hi, my reason why I'm interested in these cactuses is because I thought these cactuses were really cool looking, and if there's any hybrids (specifically the Hybrids I mentioned) of these cactuses that exist I think it be even cooler looking also I would like to plant some so I can grow the fruit to eat it + I live in AZ were these plants will probably do well +also I think Hybridization of Plants are really cool

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 11:10:49 PM »
Hi, my reason why I'm interested in these cactuses is because I thought these cactuses were really cool looking, and if there's any hybrids (specifically the Hybrids I mentioned) of these cactuses that exist I think it be even cooler looking also I would like to plant some so I can grow the fruit to eat it + I live in AZ were these plants will probably do well +also I think Hybridization of Plants are really cool
Same. Eating then cool looking are my criteria XD
Do you breed or have any cacti?
I would be down to trade eventually.

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 01:23:11 AM »
Woah!  I'd love to see all those crosses, but not sure how many are possible?  One thing I'd suggest is to check out the relevant cladograms (ie Rhipsalideae) in order to learn how closely related two species are.  The more closely related they are, the more possible it is to cross them.  Here's another relevant cladogram... Hylocereeae

It would be amazing to have a Rhipsalis type cactus that produced fruits the size and sweetness of grapes.  Hmmmm...a few months ago I bought Disocactus aurantiacus.  Just now I learned that the fruit is surprisingly large.  But how does it taste??

A while back a friend offered me the fruit from her Epiphyllum hybrid.  I went back home and couldn't help but taste it.  I was surprised how good it was.  I made the rather difficult decision to stop eating it and save the seeds, which I germinated and dispersed among friends.  I have at least one seedling that I should really pot up. 

Years ago I gave away my rather substantial collection of Epiphyllum hybrids.  The flowers were too short lived to warrant the amount of space the plants took up.  But I never tried any of their fruit, which I don't remember them ever having. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 01:25:15 AM by Epiphyte »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 02:46:59 AM »
Woah!  I'd love to see all those crosses, but not sure how many are possible?  One thing I'd suggest is to check out the relevant cladograms (ie Rhipsalideae) in order to learn how closely related two species are.  The more closely related they are, the more possible it is to cross them.  Here's another relevant cladogram... Hylocereeae

It would be amazing to have a Rhipsalis type cactus that produced fruits the size and sweetness of grapes.  Hmmmm...a few months ago I bought Disocactus aurantiacus.  Just now I learned that the fruit is surprisingly large.  But how does it taste??

A while back a friend offered me the fruit from her Epiphyllum hybrid.  I went back home and couldn't help but taste it.  I was surprised how good it was.  I made the rather difficult decision to stop eating it and save the seeds, which I germinated and dispersed among friends.  I have at least one seedling that I should really pot up. 

Years ago I gave away my rather substantial collection of Epiphyllum hybrids.  The flowers were too short lived to warrant the amount of space the plants took up.  But I never tried any of their fruit, which I don't remember them ever having.
Oh wow first Hi epiphyte! I actually looked into edible epiphyllums not too long ago and had created a list of some cultivars users on here had mentioned as edible: Fern La Borde, argus, Padre, Daybreak, Cadet. Unfortunately it is hard to get information on select tasting epis, apparently a now defunct nursery named matt's landscape had some info. I've heard they take longer than dragonfruit to ripen and personally hunting down epi cultivars is hardwork (if you know any sources of these please tell gracias)
here's the thread I'm referencing: ttps://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15813.0

In regards to viability I actually think many of these could work. Thank you for introducing me to the term "cladogram" previously I've just always searched "phylogenic tree" or something like that.
A large portion of these fall under the pachyceredae clade which is large but has a solid proven record of intergeneric hybridization. This is a guess without having looked up ploidy and what not

Nosari7Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 11:53:17 AM »
I do have some cacti planted but I have been waiting for them to grow fruit so far no fruit, and the cacti I have so far are pretty common except for my Jiotilla (Escontria Chiotilla) I might trade seeds but it has not grown any fruit yet so I can't

Nosari7Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 11:57:24 AM »
That's cool what did the epiphyllum hybrid fruit taste like? do you know if there are any Epiphyllum × Disocactus × Selenicereus Hybrids with edible fruit or if there are any Kimnachia × Selenicereus × Pseudorhipsalis × Selenicereus Hybrids also with edible fruit?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 04:59:34 PM by Nosari7Viper »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 01:10:57 PM »
I think I have two Hylocereus 'Bruni' x Selenicereus pteranthus seedlings. They grow extremely slowly. AFAIK every cactus fruit should be edible.

Nosari7Viper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 05:13:36 PM »
that is so cool, the fruit will probably taste delicious I imagine, also has somebody made a Acanthocereus tetragonus Fairy castle × Pseudorhipsalis × Selenicereus Hybrid with edible fruit, or a Kimnachia × Selenicereus × Pseudorhipsalis × Hylocereus Hybrid with edible fruit?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:23:11 PM by Nosari7Viper »

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 10:55:19 PM »
Here is an entire facebook group dedicatdd to intergeneric cacti hybrids: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1101712150023406/

one of the more recent ones is an epiphyllum hybrid!