Author Topic: Ways to Eat & Enjoy dropped Green Mangos  (Read 1036 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Ways to Eat & Enjoy dropped Green Mangos
« on: April 08, 2022, 02:34:52 PM »
This past Wed. a storm came through dropping many many mangos from the trees before maturity.

1. The strong lemony taste with salt etc. is one way to eat them.

2. Some varieties like sweettart etc. will ripen to a limited degree in a week if desired to ingest at that time.

3. My spouse took many of the green mangos and boiled them for about 40 minutes till the peeling went from green to a yellow tint. Once cooled spooning this out is a gel with very strong lemon to Key lime taste. It sort of reminds me of a strong jelled yogart.
 A. She used this to make a mango pie that taste like a key lime or lemon pie. Very good... Ingredients sweetened condensed milk + Cream Cheese + boiled green mango filling... You Must Make It... You will Not Be Disappointed...
 B. She also made a lemon pound cake using boiled green mango + yellow cake mix..... Also Very very good.
 C. Freeze it and use it later for anything that lemons or limes would normally be required... lol... (No longer a need for me to grow difficult citrus in S. Fl... YEA)......

Try it .... You will Like It....
This picture has a little of the pie filling seen from yesterday (I ate the rest). The mango next to the filling is 1/2 piece that was cooked & in refrigerator. But you can see the jelled appearance if zoom in. Apparently the cooking takes the starch & sugars and converts it into a jelly. Make sure soft before stopping the boil.

To my surprise my wife made another pie today so here is a picture of it with a piece of the remaining pound cake wrapped (I ate the rest lol).

« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 09:03:57 AM by palmcity »

TropicalFruitSeeker

• Vancouver, Wa
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to Eat & Enjoy dropped Green Mangos
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 02:53:42 PM »
"Try it .... You will Like It...."
Green mangos and ham... I jest.
The fruit store where I go sells green mangos, and I always wondered what to do with them. I will try the boiled green mango pie now!

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 02:59:05 PM »
"Try it .... You will Like It...."
Green mangos and ham... I jest.
The fruit store where I go sells green mangos, and I always wondered what to do with them. I will try the boiled green mango pie now!

:) You will be happy....  :)  (I included a picture of the pie above...

For Florida, this could easily turn into a good agricultural application of mango use. If boiled, the starch/sugars turn into a jelly consistency that I think could be used for anything that lemons/limes would normally be used.

lol... Since this idea is not eligible for a paten. I doubt Coca-Cola (owner of minute maid) will ever send a thankyou check .... lol... If this works in drinks/foods/etc. etc.
Alcoholic beverage & green mango juice from the boiled green mango... lol...

Of course, I'm already planning a large boiling of the mangos for a 5 gallon production of unripe/green/ lemony tasting mango wine from it... I bet it will be great...   ;)  (I already have 5 gallons from a few yrs. back from ripened mangos & it gets better by the day and amount drank lol).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 03:45:17 PM by palmcity »

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 03:22:38 PM »
Filipinos eat sliced green mango with fermented shrimp paste.  The salt of the shrimp paste counters the brightness of the mango

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 05:24:40 PM »
Pessimism or Optimism

I'm the Glass Half Full........................................

When Your Given Lemons.... You Make Lemonaid...

Some of today's storm total of Dropped Green Mangos:::

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 05:36:10 PM by palmcity »

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 05:42:20 PM »
Wow! I could make quick work of those lol, wish I was closer. You could also try a green mango salad. It's similiar in ingredients and preparation as a green papaya salad.

johnnyv

• New Zealand, Auckland, zone 10
    • View Profile

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 11:12:37 PM »
Think of them like apples or sour peaches. Use them in cake, pie, cobbler, crisp, and mango butter. I also like the Thai mango salad. I did not have good luck pickling them as a sweet pickle, though, because the fruit disintegrated when I put it in the hot water bath. I probably should have used a recipe for apples instead of watermelon rind (or maybe refrigerator pickles?). Some varieties work better for certain uses or at certain stages. For example, Nam Doc Mai can be used in apple crisp or butter recipes when still hard green (you may need to add a little extra sugar) while Valencia Pride is better when allowed to soften (knowing that it will never get sweet) and used as a peach substitute in peach cobbler. I make the cobbler filling and freeze it. It will store for a year or more in the freezer. Whenever I feel like cobbler, I pull it out to thaw, whip up the topping, and bake it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:15:18 PM by Galatians522 »

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 10:14:02 AM »
there is always the good ol Sauerkraut it is also a good use for green papaya

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 10:43:38 AM »
**it happens to all... sometimes....

Well, back to my positive self... Can't say my glass is half full but can say it's 1/3 full today   :)

We had 40 to 60mph storm on 6.6.22 in Palm City, Stuart, and Port St. lucie with significant mango loss especially on those larger and closer to harvest... But as mentioned, thankfully my glass is still 1/3 full...

Just thought I would post as it's good to know that bad things happen to good people, bad people, and all people at times so keep positive when your enjoying your harvest, some is always better than none....

What happened to squirrely Waldo?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 01:24:43 PM by palmcity »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 10:46:22 PM »
**it happens to all... sometimes....

Well, back to my positive self... Can't say my glass is half full but can say it's 1/3 full today   :)

We had 40 to 60mph storm on 6.6.22 in Palm City, Stuart, and Port St. lucie with significant mango loss especially on those larger and closer to harvest... But as mentioned, thankfully my glass is still 1/3 full...

Just thought I would post as it's good to know that bad things happen to good people, bad people, and all people at times so keep positive when your enjoying your harvest, some is always better than none....

What happened to squirrely Waldo?

Yikes! That looks close to 300 lbs of green mango!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk