Author Topic: Mango Varieties in Southern California Wanted  (Read 271 times)

cdin12

• USA, CA, La Mesa, 10B
    • View Profile
Mango Varieties in Southern California Wanted
« on: June 14, 2022, 10:15:07 AM »
Not new to plants or gardening/ plants in general, but finally in a place to start growing some good fruits. I want to grow a lot, have somewhat limited space and want to plant some nice trees over the next year or two. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and learned a lot. There is a lot I want to grow and learn about but for sure I want Mangos. I live in the San Diego area, was thinking Sweet Tart, Honey Kiss, and CAC. Any other suggestions and more importantly sources, every nursery I find just has the more generic varieties.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 10:41:14 AM by cdin12 »

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Varieties in Southern California Wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 11:16:46 AM »
You're going to get a lot of similar responses for mango production in SD. Either start with seeds in ground and graft after a few years into them, or get a manilla or atulfo mango as rootstock and graft onto that as well.

There are nurseries in Florida that now sell to CA with grafted varieties on manila rootstock. But they are expensive for a tiny one gallon tree and will flower to death on you.

There is a nice southern California mango thread that has all the useful information. If you get to the point where you are ready to graft, PM me and I'll give you some sweet tart scions for grafting.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 12:50:55 PM »
Ong Nursery is in San Diego

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 02:45:13 PM »
Since they are all poly varieties you can begin from seed.

All of those ones are reported to do rather well in SD.

That said, Sweet tart and CAC both have the same base flavor.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk