Author Topic: Mango alongside Durian  (Read 2770 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Mango alongside Durian
« on: July 13, 2022, 11:16:59 AM »
What’s up TFF.

Fresh off DurianWriter’s latest tour, I’m inspired. Saw and learned a lot with my second Penang visit - arguably the world’s finest place for quality Durian. I saw many more mango trees than I noticed last time (only due to traveling to different locations).  But mango doesn’t appear to produce well there.

Durian and mango seem to have different needs - South Florida appearing near perfect for mango but deadly to Durian.  Penang is near perfect for Durian but hit and miss for mango. So it left me curious.

Who, if anyone, has seen a place where both thrive?

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango alongside Durian
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 01:40:44 PM »
I was very bummed that when I went to malayasia (Christmas and new years) it was out of season for the fruits. Although I got to try many different types of durian imported. However, I did see many mango trees with young fruits developing on them all the way from Penang to Singapore

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 02:25:51 PM »
Utilizing the term mango in this context its very confusing. Are you referring to mangifera indica? Because there are a lot of other mangifera species that are native/endemic to that region. So they are one of the places that can produce durian and mango, yet different species. I'm assuming you are referring to mangifera indica. The requirements of the trees are quite different. Durians love the rain and only need a very short drought for inducing fowering and Indian mangoes need a dry for their flowering process so the rain doesn't knock them off nor create ideal spots for anthracnose

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 02:28:58 PM »
Here in Hawaii we grow durian and Indian mangoes. But on either side of the island. Durians in the east. Mangoes in the west. Different climates. But we can find them all at the right market. Also some of the other mango species are delicious. Casturi and kuini are yum!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 03:23:51 PM »
I was very bummed that when I went to malayasia (Christmas and new years) it was out of season for the fruits. Although I got to try many different types of durian imported. However, I did see many mango trees with young fruits developing on them all the way from Penang to Singapore

Thanks. I know what you mean. But when it comes to mango, and for SpenceW’s benefit mangifera indica is the default thing people here mean when they say mango, only a small % of trees in Penang appear to set fruit.  There’s is at least one famous (within Malaysia) mango: Harumanis - know to grow well in Perlis.  I do not know if either other mangoes do well there or not (Maybe it’s a low chill mango?) or if Durian does well there.

So yes SpenceW, their similar yet somewhat different needs is the point of this thread. Hawaii’s split environments fairly close within the same country makes an interesting case (although not quite what I’m looking for).

If the number of mango trees planted in Malaysia is anything to by, people love the fruit and continue to take their chances, probably with seedlings from Thai mangoes. I did get some local mango, what we call Golden Queen, and did see some flower and fruit set. Also interesting, Malaysia gets about 110 inches of rain - double what we get in Bermuda - yet farmers still irrigate even mature durian trees.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 05:42:35 PM by Future »

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 07:20:26 PM »
Hey mate here where Iam in australia just over 16 degrees south mango and durian are grown next to each other.  However in my area its a little too wet for ideal conditions for mango Average 3000mm a year we do however get a decent dry season in a typical year which works for mangoes and durian flowering.  If you go up in elevation from here mangoes are grown on large commercial scale it is much drier and cooler in this location.

I would think penang is way to hot year round to grow mangoes decently certainly the premium location for durian growing though.  Durian are also irrigated here generally even though we get 3000mm a year of rain.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 08:44:40 PM »
In my farm both are heavy producers. And willughbeias, pulasan, Rambutan, chinese chestnut, avocado, ilama ,quenepas, mangosteen, citrus, monos plum ,jujube and. ....Some times you need to try

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 09:22:28 PM »
My area in CR is not dry enough for reliable m. indica production but we can get two harvests of durian per year like in some parts of Malaysia, not Penang though.
However, in the southern Pacific of CR there can be a good enough dry season for mangoes and durian can work as well.
Peter

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 12:48:29 AM »
I saw loaded mango trees and durian trees on the east coast of Costa Rica. I also saw mango trees growing right next to the beach, in pretty much beach sand. Never knew they would grow in salty sand like that. Pretty interesting.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 01:38:16 AM »
When durian reviews from your trip like you do with Florida mangoes?

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 07:37:01 AM »
Mangoes are quite common by the beaches here too. I'm attempting to grow mango and durian. Like Gone tropo said, not idea for mangoes here, or durian for that matter, but it's nice we can grow both :)

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 09:24:52 AM »
I saw loaded mango trees and durian trees on the east coast of Costa Rica. I also saw mango trees growing right next to the beach, in pretty much beach sand. Never knew they would grow in salty sand like that. Pretty interesting.
I imagine that the loaded mango trees you saw near the beach on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica we’re common mango. When I said that m. indica didn’t grow well in our area I was referring to select mango varieties that only occasionally produce here. Small, stringy, good tasting mangoes will produce nicely in the same area as good durians.
Durians can be successful fairly close to the beach.
Peter

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 12:00:49 PM »
When durian reviews from your trip like you do with Florida mangoes?
I was wondering (and hoping for) the same thing.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 12:56:51 PM »
As a generalization that is true. But there is micro climates everywhere.
With how some of the land parcels run from 200-1,000 ft. Elevation for prime ag of all kinds from Hawaii’s agricultural focused land division , there are places drier for mango lower and a little wetter but not too cold for Durian higher up.
I seen some loaded mango tree’s on the same property as young durian growing well.
I here a fair amount friends say” so and so fruit expert said this wouldn’t grow here”, but here we are looking at it growing amazingly well.
East side and west side, generally speaking ;)

Here in Hawaii we grow durian and Indian mangoes. But on either side of the island. Durians in the east. Mangoes in the west. Different climates. But we can find them all at the right market. Also some of the other mango species are delicious. Casturi and kuini are yum!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2022, 05:20:45 PM »
You guys amaze me.

B2B - those microclimate insights are interesting.

DL & Fliptop - A lot of my American friends don’t know travel restrictions remain in place for non-Americans. So with mango feasts postponed, I flew east....And you’re right,  I probably should have done a play by play. But I wanted a low key just soak it all in trip. Maybe next time. With that said, you know I kept SOME notes. So, if you want me to drop a list of what varieties I scored and which ones I rated most highly....

PS DL - are you in Sri Lanka now?  Mad stuff happening there.

Peter - thank you. Looking at how heavy Laurence Zill has gone on mango in CR, I imagined it would be the place. But, I’m a mango snob. Only gourmet will do. (Plus a trainee Durian snob and certified beach snob). If I can fly to CR through Toronto, Durian this August?  When do mangoes end?

MG31 I also saw mango much closer to the ocean that I’d expect in CR on the pacific side. Something to see.

I wonder if tarps in CR for mango would make for a Collocation winner with premium mangoes.

Gone tropo - it just amazes me, irrigation with so much rain

And finally canito - what land is for sale nearby?

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2022, 05:36:47 PM »
The distribution of rain is also very important. Darwin in Northern Australia gets almost 2m of rain a year, but during Jun-Aug only gets an average of 4mm of rain. I believe Australia's biggest Durian farm is outside Darwin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin,_Northern_Territory#Climate

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2022, 06:42:23 PM »
yes thats right distrbution is critical thats why with durian the literature always says evenly spaced rainfall throughout the year. So whilst I average 3000mm 70% or so of that falls between january and april, we can then on some years have a long dry.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2022, 10:09:22 PM »
Hi Future
There should be durian in august here in the CaribeSur.
On the Pacific coast:
Gary Zill has produced some great mangoes in CR but I think he is frustrated that it is not better than it is.
Mango season starts around February corresponding to the dry season.  By May/June it is starting to rain and you get anthracnosis on the fruits.
Peter

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2022, 04:35:03 AM »
What’s up TFF.
In Malaysia outside of Perlis and northern Kedah mangoes don't seem to grow well. You can still find some small farms that grow mangoes outside of those two states and the mangoes grown are mostly chokonan mangoes from thailand.those farms can be found in Malacca and negeri sembilan and central sarawak.in Kedah and Perlis it's harummanis.also mangoes unlike durian are grown in flat terrains.over all mangoes seem to grow well in urban areas and coastal areas in Malaysia .in urban areas trees seem to flower well when being grown next to an asphalt road or concrete sidewalks.i wonder it could be the heat emitting from the ground

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2022, 04:42:06 AM »
Hey mate here where Iam in australia just over 16 degrees south mango and durian are grown next to each other.  However in my area its a little too wet for ideal conditions for mango Average 3000mm a year we do however get a decent dry season in a typical year which works for mangoes and durian flowering.  If you go up in elevation from here mangoes are grown on large commercial scale it is much drier and cooler in this location.

I would think penang is way to hot year round to grow mangoes decently certainly the premium location for durian growing though.  Durian are also irrigated here generally even though we get 3000mm a year of rain.
No idea what you meant by too hot to grow mangoes in Penang.maybe you meant it's too wet to grow mangoes.penang is too wet for mangoes and also the fact durians are mostly grown in hilly places whereas mangoes flat terrain.in Malaysia mango farms I notice it's a monoculture farm unlike durian orchards with other trees being grown

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2022, 09:44:09 AM »
Same thing in Borneo where there are tons of durian , you will find / see very little m. indica.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 04:21:30 PM »
Hi Future
There should be durian in august here in the CaribeSur.
On the Pacific coast:
Gary Zill has produced some great mangoes in CR but I think he is frustrated that it is not better than it is.
Mango season starts around February corresponding to the dry season.  By May/June it is starting to rain and you get anthracnosis on the fruits.
Peter

Thanks Peter. Which Zill mangoes do you know of doing well in CR?

Maybe CR is my next remote work meets Durian spot.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 04:24:52 PM »
What’s up TFF.
In Malaysia outside of Perlis and northern Kedah mangoes don't seem to grow well. You can still find some small farms that grow mangoes outside of those two states and the mangoes grown are mostly chokonan mangoes from thailand.those farms can be found in Malacca and negeri sembilan and central sarawak.in Kedah and Perlis it's harummanis.also mangoes unlike durian are grown in flat terrains.over all mangoes seem to grow well in urban areas and coastal areas in Malaysia .in urban areas trees seem to flower well when being grown next to an asphalt road or concrete sidewalks.i wonder it could be the heat emitting from the ground

Which part of Malaysia do you live in?  How do you rate Harumanis?  I saw trees with flowers in urban areas. Heat won’t trigger mango flowering but the asphalt and concrete might be restricting water.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2022, 08:19:04 PM »
Future, when I have spent time with Gary at his place in CR our mutual interests are pouterias, artocarpus, garcinias, and the more rare fruits that I grow and that Gary is really interested in. He had a mango project in Guanacaste and grows different mangoes around his two properties near Orotina. When in season he shares lots of different mangoes that to me are wonderful but he is demanding and critical. It’s fascinating his stories about mangoes but the individual varieties are many and we don’t attempt to grow them so I’m not the person to really answer your question.
Peter

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2022, 08:26:42 PM »
I should add that at Gary Zills’ farm near Orotina he has mangoes and durian together. It’s a stretch for the durian. The problem is that in that area there are very strong, dry winds in the dry season. Durian hates that. 50km south of there is just as hot and dry but no wind so if you can water you can almost duplicate what we have at our place. But the wind will dry the foliage out no matter the watering.
Jakfruit windbreaks, first class irrigation sort of makes it and there can be some production of durian.
But those guys are real good growers, you see others fail with less of a challenge.
Peter