Author Topic: How to tell Jaboticaba cultivar when early in fruiting?  (Read 471 times)

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
How to tell Jaboticaba cultivar when early in fruiting?
« on: July 25, 2022, 09:19:10 AM »
I have a Jaboticaba (Up here in Canada!) that is starting to flower/fruit this year. I am unsure of the species and was wondering if there is a way to tell what kind it is? I'm guessing it would be easier when the fruit change color to narrow down things but wondering if there is any other way? I had bought it seed grow, not grafted, I would estimate total age is about 6 years old?

Thanks

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell Jaboticaba cultivar when early in fruiting?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 09:41:05 AM »
My first guess would be red hybrid.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 09:46:09 AM »
The leaves are a big factor. Based on that and the fact it’s fruiting it would be red hybrid.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:13:43 AM »
Congratulations are in order for you successfully fruiting a jaboticaba farther north than anyone has (probably) ever done before. At least, I have never heard of any other Canadian growers fruiting a jaboticaba before. It is rare enough for someone to do so in a greenhouse or other protected space in the temperate areas of the US.

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 07:32:49 PM »
Thanks to all for the input, will wait for the fruit to ripen to confirm.

Thanks for the props W., yes I was surprised that the first flush of flowers has set fruit, and seems like another flush is happening now!

Congratulations are in order for you successfully fruiting a jaboticaba farther north than anyone has (probably) ever done before. At least, I have never heard of any other Canadian growers fruiting a jaboticaba before. It is rare enough for someone to do so in a greenhouse or other protected space in the temperate areas of the US.