Author Topic: 2023 White Sapote Taste Test - Best Ones on Your Trees  (Read 2764 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 White Sapote Taste Test - Best Ones on Your Trees
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2023, 02:47:26 PM »
greenerpasteur, sorry, I only have my smaller trees that have the yellow sapote rootstock (seedling) and my McDill seedling (that is grafted with c.tetrameria) so both of these trees do not get that large. I have over 20 varieties on each tree so there are not enough fruits on the trees to share, I barely get to taste each one to post photos here for the taste comparisons.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2023, 02:52:42 PM »
Oh, didn't realize it was you Thien, if I have my next Younghan's Gold fruits (have green fruits now) then I can send you a few. All the other varieties right now have just some small fruitlets on the grafts. I will send you a PM when my fruit is ripe.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2023, 04:53:10 PM »
Here are some screenshots of this short and sweet info download that was recently posted on TFF.
I sent the link to everyone I know interested in Casimiroa and have yet to discuss with anyone. I think it’s fascinating and am curious on what other Casimiroa enthusiasts think about this.

There is some great info in that study. Probably most useful is a list of "type 1" cultivars that do not produce pollen. Here is another study that outlines specific cultivars.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Roshni-Agnihotri-2/publication/311856394_White_Sapote_Casimiroa_edulis_Llave_Lex/links/585d7cac08ae329d61f6938f/White-Sapote-Casimiroa-edulis-Llave-Lex.pdf

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2023, 07:49:32 PM »
Oh, didn't realize it was you Thien, if I have my next Younghan's Gold fruits (have green fruits now) then I can send you a few. All the other varieties right now have just some small fruitlets on the grafts. I will send you a PM when my fruit is ripe.

Thank you.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2023, 10:02:17 PM »
I have another very good white sapote to add to my list of fruits tasted this year. I purchased these white sapote from Brian Laufer, he sells seeds and sometimes the fruit boxes. This is the second time I purchased his medium box of white sapote from his large trees. He isn't sure what variety it is, but I have been eating them for a week now and it is one of the top 5 best tasting for me.

So for 2023, my top 10 white sapote are:

1. Clytia
2. C. tetrameria #7
3. Younghan's Gold
4. Brian Laufer WS
5. Yellow Sapote (CSUF) variety
6. McDill
7. Cuccio
8. Maddox
9. Norm's - this is an old un-named variety
10. Nasrin - from AJ

I sse from others who posted the following looks very tasty:
- Malibu #3  (Reedo)
- Suebelle, Jason (SHV)
- Vernon, AJ (MasonG31)

If anyone else has tasted some very good to excellent white sapote this year, please post the variety name below and any photos if you have it.

Happy New Year !!!

SanDiegoCherimoya

• Vista, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2024, 10:51:16 PM »
I’ve eaten my fair share of white sapote from old groves planted during the 70’s in north county SD.
Literally eating until I have to poo.

My ATF white sapote was from a grove in DeLuz, which I later identified as “Mary Lane”. It had the decadence of durian combined with the smokiness of crème brûlée.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 11:03:30 PM by SanDiegoCherimoya »

SanDiegoCherimoya

• Vista, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2024, 11:23:40 PM »
Too be honest,

I’m not impressed by any of these other varieties being posted. Shows lack of experience.

The best tree ripened white sapote will have brittle skin with sugar scars and hints of brown sugar. I haven’t seen anything yet representing this quality.

SanDiegoCherimoya

• Vista, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2024, 11:27:31 PM »
So if the point of this thread is to lead people to some bs varieties, you guys definitely achieved that.

Take care.

DavidBYE

• USA, Florida, Jacksonville, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2024, 11:42:20 PM »
From what I hear Redlands is a good FL variety. Still popular and available in nurseries. I do not know how it compares to the other varieties.

SanDiegoCherimoya

• Vista, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2024, 12:17:23 AM »
From what I hear Redlands is a good FL variety. Still popular and available in nurseries. I do not know how it compares to the other varieties.

Maybe the tree just grows fast and they can flip it easily based on height. Ever think of that buddy.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2024, 03:59:45 AM »
Is Redlands still one of the most popular varieties in Florida? I’m curious how that one would stack up.

You're gonna start hearing about the Cambell. Named after Carl Cambell (Richard's father). Lara Farms 🚜 in Homestead is propagating it.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2024, 10:41:12 AM »
DavidBYE, do you know or have heard how Redlands compares in taste to Younhan's Gold? I have both grafted on my tree but the Redlands is less than one year old graft so no fruits yet.

Greater Good, I have the Campbell tree (small one from Laura Farms) which is a slow grower for me. I will be grafting it on my larger tree so I hope in another year I can taste the fruit and compare it to the other Florida white sapote. For me, the Younghan's Gold tastes the best so far. Also it is very productive, maybe even more than the Cuccio.

Sir Graftalot

• Where the wood at?
    • U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2024, 01:41:19 PM »
Is Redlands still one of the most popular varieties in Florida? I’m curious how that one would stack up.

You're gonna start hearing about the Cambell. Named after Carl Cambell (Richard's father). Lara Farms 🚜 in Homestead is propagating it.
I have been looking for scions of both Campbell and Younghan's Gold. If any of you have a cutting or two to spare, please shoot me a message. Thanks.

DavidBYE

• USA, Florida, Jacksonville, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2024, 11:12:22 PM »
I have a small Cambell. No fruit yet, so I can't make a comparison. Would like to get my hands on a Younghan's though. If anyone is offering them, please let me know. My only tree is to small to graft onto. Can White Sapote be rooted from cuttings?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2024, 10:57:33 PM »
Here's Harry's comments on the best tasting in Florida back in 2015.

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=15889.0

There may not be that many other white/yellow sapote that tastes better than Younghan's Gold. I have both the Supersweet and Bonita Springs and they are average tasting to me.