Author Topic: Citrus issues  (Read 814 times)

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
Citrus issues
« on: October 13, 2022, 02:29:15 PM »
Any idea what can be going on with this grapefruit tree?
Thx

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus issues
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 05:50:07 PM »
Your tree has all the symptoms of a magnesium deficiency.  Apply Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) at 4 Oz./gallon of WARM water as a foliar spray to the top and bottom of the leaves.  Do not apply during high temperatures or low humility.  Apply in the morning or late afternoon.

Here is some additional information taken from the internet:  Magnesium deficiency has been a major problem in citrus production.  Mg deficiency is commonly referred to as “bronzing.” Trees with inadequate Mg may have no symptoms in the spring growth flush, but leaf symptoms develop as the leaves age and the fruit expand and mature in the summer and fall.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 05:53:12 PM by Millet »

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 06:43:06 PM »
Okay thx, I'll try the spray.
It flowered pretty well this past Spring but lost all small fruit and what remains,  as shown, is brownish and small. Could a Magnesium deficiency be responsible for all that too?

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 06:15:10 PM »
Symptoms could be nitrogen deficiency. Either way a good all full spectrum fertilizer will work. You could also spray with neem oil. Any insects or fungus feeding on it should be killed by neem oil sometimes that can contribute to the problem.

Grapefruit looks alright there but lack of energy in the tree will contribute to fruit being aborted or small. Could be some mildew or fungus or insects eating sap or low nutrients in soil or a combination.

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 10:41:10 PM »
That sounds right too. I see ants on that tree a lot, I assume they're farming something but I couldn't tell. I used Amdro for the ants a few weeks ago, no luck.  I'm going to try a Boric Acid and powdered sugar combo for the ants. Any other suggestions for ants? Thx

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 12:28:05 AM »
against ants I wrap paper among the trunk, fix this and then put a special biological glue for plants on it and the ant problem is no longer a problem  :D

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 11:07:22 PM »
I just applied Tanglefoot, so far so good. Inspected the leaves and branches and saw lots of scale. I rubbed some of it off the leaves and there was a sticky substance, so I think scale and ants have been the biggest problem. I sprayed the tree w Neem Oil, but I just dont see how it's going to handle a big branch w armored scale.
At what stage do people get rid of the tree and start over?
Thx

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 03:04:08 AM »
armored scale I treat with a mix of water, one big spoon oil and a spoon of methylated spirits, this mix sprayind 3-4 times within 14 days on the scales and you ' ll get rid of them. Keep the plants not in full sun during the treatment.