Author Topic: Yucatan Custard Apple Hybrids ?  (Read 1275 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Yucatan Custard Apple Hybrids ?
« on: November 21, 2022, 12:45:45 AM »
Does anyone have Franks seedlings of these yucatan custard apple hybrids?

1. Uxmal rojo
2. Tizimin rojo
3. Merida amarillo

He was selling 12 seedling trees in 2020 and i wanted to see if anyone that purchased it can provide status of how their tree is doing now.

I got 2 from Frank, the Uxmal rojo and Merida amarillo, but the Uxmal died so I only have Merida now. My tree is in a pot, grew to about 5 ft tall now.

Anyone know when these seedlings would start to fruit?

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: Yucatan Custard Apple Hybrids ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 11:51:34 PM »
Hey Kaz,

Are there any pics of the fruit from these trees? Also if you could post some pics of the leaves off your meridia tree I would appreciate seeing them.

Joe

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 12:43:55 AM »
No fruit photo, Frank never posted the fruits. It was a special sale he had for only a week (pickup only) or so. I was hoping someone may have a fruit photo, but it may not exist. I went there to pick up some other cuttings when he showed me these. They are all seedling trees (I think) so not sure how the fruits will look or taste.

I can take a few photos of my tree and show the leaves on my plant tomorrow if helps. Since I was one of the last person to buy his plants (he might have had 2 left), so there should be others locally that has these plants.

I found the photos Frank posted for the For Sale here. Date was 9/2020.
This is Frank's photo.

My notes says Ycatan-Hybrid-Saramoya-3 Types

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2022, 01:10:09 AM »
Frank sold seed and scions of many different Saramuyo's.  I have a grafted Titan Rojo Saramuyo.  I should get fruit from it this coming year.  It is 7-8 feet tall now.

Bill

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 06:00:39 PM »
Bill, I did remember he was selling the scions of Saramuyo. What do you graft them to?
Can you graft these to cherimoya or atemoya?
Please post some photos when your tree has flowers and fruits.

Joe, I took some photos of my Merida amarillo tree showing the leaves.
Here they are:

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 12:42:53 AM »
The seedlings of these Saramuyos are very unstable.  They can be very different than the parent fruit.  The Titan Rojo I bought from Frank.  He says it is grafted onto Cherimoya but I can't see a graft union.  Time will tell what the fruit looks like.

Bill

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 12:58:59 AM »
Ok, thanks for that info, I might try and graft a few cuttings of my seedling to my Cherimoya now in case the tree dies like the other one.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 08:03:31 AM »

Thanks for those leaf pics kaz, they look pretty similar to my in ground seedlings “dorado yellow” and “piste red” which are going on 3-4 years now I think, hoping to see first flowers this spring🤞

Joe

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 10:50:21 AM »
Joe, yes the leaves do look similar. When you get first fruits, please share a photo.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 11:01:57 AM »
I got several of the saramuyo seeds and failed at starting them - not the seeds me.
I shared a few seeds with friends and one was able to start 3 or 4 varieties which he gave back to me.
I have them growing now and share how they do when they get mature and start to fruit.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 12:36:26 PM »
How large is your seedling tree now? If I get fruit on mine, I will let you know, maybe we can exchange cuttings later on.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2022, 08:45:15 PM »
Hi Kaz,

Most of my saramuyo seeds from JF sprouted.  I have 20 seedlings.  I'm going to graft them onto mature Cherimoya trees and hope to get them to fruit faster.  With all the seeds that were sold, I imagine there will be some really good selections in the future. 

One of my seedling Fernandez custard apple seedlings started blooming when it was just a few months old and 4 inches tall.  It's been blooming for over 2 months, downside is it's been growing very slowly expending so much energy flowering.  I'm going to graft it when it gets a little larger and make my own crosses.

Janet
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 08:46:55 PM by JCorte »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2022, 09:45:21 PM »
Wow Janet, flowers already at that size is very interesting. Yes, sounds like a good idea to eventually graft on a Cherimoya tree. I have one huge Cherimoya tree that I cut back to 5 ft each year, and when I try grafting anything to it, the grafts never take. I'll probably just do an approach graft on my only seedling tree with a smaller plant I have in a pot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk