Author Topic: Central Florida fruit tree suggestion needed  (Read 604 times)

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
Central Florida fruit tree suggestion needed
« on: January 17, 2023, 08:58:56 AM »
Hi,
I have to evict an Oro Negro Avocado. They just refuse to grow in my yard, other Avocado varieties do fine. What do other growers in the area have success with? Looking for something with a cold tolerance down to about 28F or lower, that's easy to grow and not susceptible to disease (so citrus is out). I have plenty of the usual suspects, Mangos, Lychees, Avocados, Longans, Sapodillas, Starfruit, Jaboticaba, Loquat, Mamey, Persimmon. I like Guava from the taste, but all those seeds ruin it for me. Pineapple and Dragonfruit are nice, but too labor intensive for the low yield. The Atemoya I have is doing OK, but not great.
Any suggestions other than those listed above?
Thanks!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Central Florida fruit tree suggestion needed
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 08:23:10 PM »
Golden Apple also called June plum makes excellent juice. When picked green is June plum when allowed to ripen to Yellow golden apple actually is one of my favorite juices. There's a dwarf variety that produces well. Your criteria of 28° for how long of a duration? I think at 32 is just a matter of time with these tropicals/ subtropical if they're not protected
I recently planted a white sapote which does well in California that might meet your hardiness requirement

« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 09:01:43 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 10:10:42 PM »
A Spondias and white sapote are both good recommendations in my opinion. I prefer the Red Mombin over the yellow June Plum, though, because it tastes more like a fruit to me and does not have the spiney seed. I think it is hardy to about 28.

With White sapote, the tree has been easy enough to grow, but I am beginning to suspect that most varieties are not really self pollenating. Wayne Cliffton'a multi grafted tree was absolutely loaded, though, so I know that they can bear heavily here. It is apriximately as hardy as citrus and would be one less thing to worry about this time of year.

I would not give up on Atemoya yet. There is a lot of variation in rootstock quality which may account for some of your issues. I think they also like a lot of micronutrients. They are not exactly low maintenance trees, but are a top fruit for me, so well worth the effort.

If you want braging rights, plant a Kwai Muk. I have been wanting one for some time. Mature trees are supposedly hardy to 25 or 26 with no reported pests or diseases in Florida. People describe flavor as a mixture of strawberry, apricot, and pineapple. I hope to try it for myself one of these days. I have attached a link about it below.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://journals.flvc.org/fshs/article/viewFile/95456/91471&ved=2ahUKEwjJuqK_j9D8AhW2kmoFHdXIChQQFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1Dc4TprVvPtqUviwJ9PvPS

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 10:25:23 PM »
My Trompo Canistel seems to have made it through this holiday season. I trunk wrapped it the best I could with the allotted amount of time but there was so much to do. It actually caught the overspray from my irrigation experiment and iced over and bent touching the ground with the ice load. The small branches that I tucked in under the trunk wrap still have green leaves on them so I'm hoping all is well. One of the things I like about golden apple juice is it has a earthy smell. Or as The Californians would say aroma which affects taste.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:37:30 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 06:08:21 PM »
Trees are only moderately cold tolerant, but young trees are damaged or killed at or below 29°F (-1.6°C) and mature trees at 23°F (-5°C

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 06:48:08 PM »
What about Bael Fruit? Speaking of which, do these look like Bael Fruit? (I planted a bunch of different seeds from Fruit&Spice Park and any labels were dispersed by Ian.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk