Author Topic: Any New or Interesting Mango Varieties to Collect this 2023?  (Read 961 times)

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
Any New or Interesting Mango Varieties to Collect this 2023?
« on: January 20, 2023, 11:27:18 AM »
Any new releases? From Zills or other places? Already got Sugarloaf and Super Alphonso and I still have around 7 spots left for mangoes. Saw someone mention Watermelon Splash a few months ago but no info if it will get released.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Any New or Interesting Mango Varieties to Collect this 2023?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 11:46:35 AM »
We have a graft of Zill 3-12 that is similar to East Indian without as much fiber. It's doing well maybe will get a sampling of fruit. My friends/ Co-op / Posse are quite excited. We also have a Blackie seedling that the seed was brought from Jamaica. This will be the second year of sampling. The West Indians think it was crossed pollinated with Julie judging by the shape. Thanks Alex for Zill 3-12
Tropical acre Farms West Palm Beach
This mango is from Gary Zill's breeding program in Boynton Beach, FL and was a 'Keitt' seedling. 'East Indian' may have been its pollen parent.

The tree makes a fruit that has a flavor reminiscent of 'East Indian' but without a considerable level of fiber, and thus can be sliced and eaten instead of just used for juicing.

Flavor: Indian/West Indian

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:12:00 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 12:09:41 PM »
Any new releases? From Zills or other places? Already got Sugarloaf and Super Alphonso and I still have around 7 spots left for mangoes. Saw someone mention Watermelon Splash a few months ago but no info if it will get released.
How about some of the Indian mangos that Alex thinks would do better in SoCal because they need more winter chill?  www.tropicalacresfarms.com
Do you have CeciLove (which is similar to SweetTart)?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:16:27 PM by johnb51 »
John

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 02:24:54 PM »
As a Californian, I'm sure you know you need to pick the most vigorous varieties. I'm eager to hear how vigorous SA is for you.

What flavors of mangoes are you interested in planting? Are you interested in fresh eating only, or do you need ones with a significant shelf life? Multiple crops? Specific sizes?

There are quite a few new varieties, with diverse qualities.

Even though Pineapple Pleasure is not the most vigorous, it is a poor fruiter in Florida, which is a favorable characteristic for California growers.

Other newer varieties that have drawn praise when grown in California are Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Venus, Val-Carrie, and Honey Kiss.

Might as well plant seeds now and let them get established while you decide what you want to graft.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 04:06:15 PM »
As a Californian, I'm sure you know you need to pick the most vigorous varieties. I'm eager to hear how vigorous SA is for you.

What flavors of mangoes are you interested in planting? Are you interested in fresh eating only, or do you need ones with a significant shelf life? Multiple crops? Specific sizes?

There are quite a few new varieties, with diverse qualities.

Even though Pineapple Pleasure is not the most vigorous, it is a poor fruiter in Florida, which is a favorable characteristic for California growers.

Other newer varieties that have drawn praise when grown in California are Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Venus, Val-Carrie, and Honey Kiss.

Might as well plant seeds now and let them get established while you decide what you want to graft.
A extremely vigorous variety Giselle.
 We have grafted on mature tree and on some root stocks. The fruit that I got from Alex and shared with friends got rave reviews. I also like super Julie
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 08:42:10 PM »
From everything Alex Salazar says, I second JohnB on the “cecilove” and he also thinks that “sweet tart” will likely perform well in SoCal.

I also second Pineapple Pleasure, it’s a truly elite mango.

CAC is incredibly elite mango one with super high vigor. Nice sweet rich floral mango.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 09:15:27 PM »
What about Jakarta it's a very vigorous grower. Wonder how it would do in Southern Cal

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 10:00:39 PM »
New to me late last year were 3 varieties.

1. Beatrice
2. Amy, and
3. Victoria.

I don't know how new these are or were but I had not heard of or had the fruit till late in the season last year.
I ended up sending the Beatrice to a friend who gave it a positive review.  I tried the other two and was very impressed with the Victoria.
I will likely stop by Walter's again this year and try the Victoria and Beatrice to see if they are worth collecting.