Author Topic: Jaboticaba Full Sun??  (Read 648 times)

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Jaboticaba Full Sun??
« on: March 12, 2023, 12:12:28 PM »
Hello fruit fans.  I have four jaboticaba plants in pots right now.  A couple are really starting to grow and surprisingly one has put on 12 to 18 inches of growth just this spring so far.

I’d like to put them in the ground in their permanent locations but struggle with a spot in the yard where they can be shaded. I am in coastal San Diego, about a half mile from the water in zone 10b. 

I’ve mostly seen these grown as an understory, with some sort of canopy above and mixed sun/shade. I’ve kept them under a patio with only direct morning light, but would like to have them in full sun in the yard.

I don’t get the high temperature, blazing heat, that our inland growers recover.

Is there anyone here that has had luck growing their Jabos in full Sun?  I read on a Brazilian blog that they are full sun trees, but most of what I see here is them being grown in a shaded setting.

I’m hoping somebody has had luck in full sun along the coast here in Southern California.

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticaba Full Sun??
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 01:12:59 PM »
watch some of Flying Fox Fruits youtube videos.  All your questions will be answered
amazing video part 1 of 2
https://youtu.be/UtxvhXFRFrc
"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 01:14:16 PM »
You're close to the water so I wouldn't hesitate to put them in full sun. That marine layer and kind of silver layer that clings to the beach will be enough for them. They may burn if they are younger, but will take it fine in older age.

Brazilian Shark, Luiz, who is probably the state's best jabo collector, has a lot of his in more or less full sun in Oceanside similar distance to beach.

Now, me up in inland 2200'? I've tried it and they don't like it. They stay in dappled shade under oaks if they outgrow the greenhouse.

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 01:44:59 PM »
Thanks K-Rimes!  That’s been my thought too but have been nervous to plant them. 

That’s good info on the guy in Oceanside!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 09:24:08 PM »
Maybe slowly acclimate them to more sun and leave them in their pots in the area
you want to put them permanently
It they are not happy then you don't have to dig them up.
I have some in full sun in Florida and I also have some that get the first half of the day
in full sun.

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 01:07:20 AM »
I was thinking the same. With it being such a rainy winter this year, we’ve had more cloud cover. That combined with our coastal May Gray and June Gloom might make a multi-month transition feasible.

I’m just going to have to bite the bucket and get it over with.

Everything at my place is afternoon sun because I’m on a west facing hillside.  I also took out all the large trees right after moving in.  None were trees I wanted long term so I’ve been planting new ones but nothing large enough to provide shade.