Author Topic: Cherimoya Pruning Help, tiny trunk  (Read 532 times)

bryan

• Deltona, Fl
    • View Profile
Cherimoya Pruning Help, tiny trunk
« on: February 23, 2023, 12:54:44 PM »
I would appreciate advice on how to prune this Cherimoya. Unlike all my other Cherimoyas which grew upright with a dedicated trunck and branches, the trunk on this one is only about 10" tall then it branched out. Is this ok or should I prune it in some way to make it grown up further before branching out? Thank you.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya Pruning Help, tiny trunk
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 01:26:40 PM »
It depends on the type of tree you want. It is fine the way it is unless you want a long main trunk. As is, it will grow more bushy and easy to harvest fruit. Just trim up the main branches (keep 2-3 of the strongest ones) by cutting right after a bud that is growing up and away from the others. Then you can graft a couple varieties :).

If you want one single long trunk, you can just cut right where it branches and train the new growth up.

bryan

• Deltona, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 08:34:11 AM »
Thank you John.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 06:52:19 PM »
You can stake the bigger branch , support it so it stais vertical and now you have a new leader. Plant will focus its energy towards it and by pruning you can force it later to produce side branches.
The other idea i would have is to graft a desired variety in the bare middle, if it takes it may become a new leader, right now the plant probably wants to have growth in the center but may be too weak to wake up the dormant buds that may be lurking there.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 08:27:11 PM »
Hi Bryan,

If that was my tree, I would prune all three branches back to about a foot.  When the tree starts growing again, it will likely send out strong more upright growth.  I would keep the tree shorter and bushier so it's easier to pollinate.

Janet

ryanscion

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 11:39:53 PM »
Bryan,

I agree with Janet. I will include a screenshot of how I would approach it so that it bushes out and up earlier.

Ryan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk