Author Topic: Mango allergies - home remedies?  (Read 660 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Mango allergies - home remedies?
« on: May 30, 2023, 09:37:54 PM »
A friend of mine appears to be allergic to mango.  He got some sap on his arm and broke out in a rash.  Do you know a home remedy that may relieve the itchiness?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango allergies - home remedies?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 09:48:46 PM »
Urushiol is typically the allergen that causes the issue in mango. So, anything used for poison ivy should help. This is what worked the best for my mom (who is very allergic to mango sap). It is expensive, but the price is well worth it to end the misery.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjg8r-ut57_AhWRxYYKHZjdDcgYABAKGgJ2dQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASJuRo2N62FjOhKS7FvqtnciJggwep-MMHQhynFzdBGSw36xxqCvW0&sig=AOD64_0etGvU6ei1mmQuX3VTpNpC2HIO9A&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiKurmut57_AhWIpYQIHQt6AOwQwg8oAHoECAUQIA&adurl=

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 09:59:28 PM »
It may be a mango allergy, or a sensitivity to milky sap, which is very common.  It is similar to a latex allergy.

I break out in a blistering rash any time ANY milky sap (mango, plumeria, gopher purge, hoya etc) gets on my skin.  It can spread past the initial point of contact too.

Over the counter steroid creams and oral antihistamines help.  If the rash spreads or gets blisters, he should go to the doctor.

Carolyn

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 12:53:50 AM »
Mango isn’t “just” an allergy. You can become allergic to it but its sap is highly caustic and burns through skin. I have scars from where I got some on my arm and over a few days it just slowly eats away at the skin

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 09:02:36 PM »
Wash with soap & water to remove as much as possible as soon as possible.
My favorite home remedy is pulled from the medicine cabinet: hydrocortisone 1%  cream or ointment and applied on affected area if no medical contraindications with your health.

Benadryl taken at maximum recommended dosages (may cause drowsiness) if no medical contraindications.

Don't wait to treat it. Vesicles can form if a severe allergic reaction and go to physician for stronger prescription medication. Also, stop scratching/rubbing as you may start to believe your skin is being slowly eaten away, especially if vesicles rupture and raw skin is scratched/rubbed....

On prescription many steroid oral products in dospaks 5 to 12 days different paks and is good to stop local and systemic spread. On prescription many stronger topical steroid products to rub on affected areas if only a local topical reaction.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:06:10 PM by palmcity »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 09:38:13 PM »
Thanks, shared the info from last night with my friend, he says thanks.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 09:53:50 PM »
Mango sap is like slow and slightly less potent Alien xenomorph blood. That stuff will burn anyone, no allergy required.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 10:30:08 PM »
A little known remedy for poison ivy irritation and rash is the juice of the garden plant, impatiens.

Because mango is related to poison ivy it would be useful to try to find some impatiens and give it a try.

The impatiens juice can often stop the itching and rash of poison ivy if applied soon after exposure and should help to relieve the symmptoms.

Of course it can also help a lot if as soon as you are aware that tyou have been exposed to wash the constact ares well with soap and water to get the oil off.  BUt it is still helpful after that to apply the impatiens juice.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 05:17:23 PM »
I am now extremely allergic  to mango sap.  When I start breaking out, I take 2 fexofenadine (i.e. Allergra) and 1 cimetidine (i.e. Tagamet HB200).  With severe reactions, I would take this 2-3 times a day.  This is what the dermatologist prescribed to me when I was having severe breakouts and could not figure out what it was from.  Nothing else helped.  Turns out it was touching mango plants and fruits. :(

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 07:41:50 PM »
Thanks all.  I talked to my friend the other day and he is OK now.
The sap got him but he said he used aloe and it seemed to work for him.
Now I have to make sure that mango I send his way are well cleaned and sap free.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 10:47:33 PM »
Crafton Clift made a handout about the common Plantain weed being the cure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk