Author Topic: Pineapple Pleasure mango  (Read 606 times)

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
Pineapple Pleasure mango
« on: May 31, 2023, 07:31:14 AM »
Listed as a robust vigorous tree, how small can this mango be kept trimmed yet still fruit?
I'd be happy with 5-6 fruit each season for personal consumption or tossing a couple in a mango box to send to my son in Oregon.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Pineapple Pleasure mango
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 08:49:29 AM »
Listed as a robust vigorous tree, how small can this mango be kept trimmed yet still fruit?
I'd be happy with 5-6 fruit each season for personal consumption or tossing a couple in a mango box to send to my son in Oregon.

We have a few people growing it on the forum. (I'm not one of them but I've seen plenty of mature trees).
I guess it depends on how small you thing small is. I'd say an 8-10ft tree might be able to work.
This is not that productive of a variety but the fruits tend to be really big so you'd need a tree to be able to support that weight without breaking.

You should also consider pina colada if you want something less vigorous with some of the same flavor profiles.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 11:31:01 AM »

We have a few people growing it on the forum. (I'm not one of them but I've seen plenty of mature trees).
I guess it depends on how small you thing small is. I'd say an 8-10ft tree might be able to work.
This is not that productive of a variety but the fruits tend to be really big so you'd need a tree to be able to support that weight without breaking.

You should also consider pina colada if you want something less vigorous with some of the same flavor profiles.
FRUITFUL TREES did a video about a brand new Zill variety, basically described as an improved Piņa Colada.  No name yet.
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 03:01:49 PM »
I have 40-26 growing if that's what he is talking about.
I wouldn't plant anything new from ZHPP until enough other people are growing it and the reviews come back in.
I would probably multigraft just out of curiosity

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 03:18:59 PM »
"I have 40-26 growing if that's what he is talking about.
I wouldn't plant anything new from ZHPP until enough other people are growing it and the reviews come back in.
I would probably multigraft just out of curiosity"

Skhan. 
I like your thinking

Greater Good

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 07:37:29 PM »
I've already planted a 3 gallon pineapple pleasure. It's planted in a filled in ground pool. It's planted in the shallow end hoping to contain It's roots somewhat.
I'm dealing with a 70+ year old Haden trying to keep it at 15 ft. Constant vigilance until I get too old. I'm willing to keep my trees pruned religiously.

Greater Good

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 07:46:04 PM »

If I could keep it at 10 ft and still get fruit, it would serve my needs.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 01:29:09 PM by Greater Good »

Greater Good

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 10:23:44 AM »
I've already planted a 3 gallon pineapple pleasure. It's planted in a filled in ground pool. It's planted in the shallow end hoping to contain It's roots somewhat.
I'm dealing with a 70+ year old Haden trying to keep it at 15 ft. Constant vigilance until I get too old. I'm willing to keep my trees pruned religiously.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2023, 08:04:09 PM »
Listed as a robust vigorous tree...

PP is vigorous? Alex describes the trees as slow-to-medium vigor growers, with spreading habit and open canopy.