Author Topic: InternationalTropicalFruitGrowers & WikiFruit  (Read 1959 times)

MarkoS

• Stuart, FL Zone 9B
    • USA, Florida, Stuart, 10A
    • View Profile
InternationalTropicalFruitGrowers & WikiFruit
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:32:33 AM »
Here I was about to suggest a topic that maybe we should start our own Wiki(pedia) for tropical fruit.  Wikipedia is nice but it doesn't focus on growing and fruit.  There's a lot that I'm learning from everyone and I hate to ask questions before I research them.  That said, WOW.  Looks like the administrators already started that.  I found a discussion from January 2012 about internationaltropicalfruitgrowers.com.  I then went there and found the wikifruit. 

I saw it was empty but is it ready for prime time?  Can we start adding to it?  Has anyone thought of a format?  Some ideas that come to mind are: Description, native range, planted range, potted range, edible parts, uses, irrigation, fertilizer, sun requirements, chilling requirements.

I like doing the research on my plants before I try to get them.  This would be a great starting point. 

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: InternationalTropicalFruitGrowers & WikiFruit
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »
That ones Sheehan's baby.. We had an issue early on with spammers so we had to adjust it to keep from overburdening the systems.  This is one that needs a lot of work!!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
I would love to get wikifruit.com off the ground but I haven't had time. There is a lot of stuff to do for the initial setup to get it able to run correctly. If you or anyone else has experience with that stuff please let me know because we would love the assistance in getting it up and running.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
I would like to help when you are ready to put your attention to this task.  This is not my area of specialty but I make my living writing code and have written web business applications.
Brandon