Author Topic: What garcinia tastes most like Purple Mangosteen? Zone 9b Bay Area Ca  (Read 472 times)

kimigibbler

• Collecting Subtropical Fruits
    • Bay Area Ca 9b
    • View Profile
TGIF y’all.  :)
Wondering what garcinia tastes most like purple mangosteen that grows in 9b. I love the floral flavor.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Idk if it grows in 9B, but Priniana is close. The taste is as good as mangostana, smaller fruits and thin skin so bruises easy. No other garcinia I have tasted is close to mangostana in sweetness.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
All the garcinia’s have been tried in da Bay and it’s a no go. Some people holding out hope for Aichacharu but it ain’t happening. Maybe try some Feijoa and eat the flowers, they have a nice floral taste.

Wondering what garcinia tastes most like purple mangosteen that grows in 9b. I love the floral flavor.

pagnr

• View Profile
I have tried 3 wild Australian Garcinias. I like G. warrenii,  (sour but a lot less than the Yellow mangosteen.). No others I have tried are much like " The Mangosteen ".

Epiphyte

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • Epiphytes and Economics
All the garcinia’s have been tried in da Bay and it’s a no go. Some people holding out hope for Aichacharu but it ain’t happening. Maybe try some Feijoa and eat the flowers, they have a nice floral taste.

someone tried garcinia sp pacuri?

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Highly doubt it. Imbe,  Luc’s and Aichacharu seemed to have the best shot.
I had a 25 gallon Madrono for 4 years in the greenhouse but it needed to move to SD to really have a chance.

someone tried garcinia sp pacuri?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Not a Garcinia but I’ve had multiple people tell me that the red hybrid Jaboticaba tastes a lot like Mangosteen.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk